Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,003,842 times

Advertisements

Bras don’t have to be uncomfortable. Get fitted by a professional and don’t buy cheap bras.
I don’t like them and I’d dislike them even more if they caused discomfort.
As for “ speaking up” with the whole equality thing. I choose battles that are more important
to me than having to wear a bra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:07 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,967,699 times
To me, the greater problem here is the Human Rights Tribunals which have been created all over Canada. These are unelected organizations that have the power to issue fines based on "human rights" complaints.

I read about a complaint by a Muslim couple against their Christian African landlord because he didn't take his shoes off when paying a pre-announced visit, or some such triviality. He was fined $10,000 -- twice -- once for the wife and once for the husband -- over disregarding their religious rights. A year later, he was still fighting this decision.

Now, about bras. Why not just go work someplace else where they don't care what you wear? Why drag your boss in front of this Human Rights Tribunal, get him fined $1,000 or $10,000 or however much they arbitrarily decide upon, and then assume the management is going to continue to love you and promote you?

As a male, I've never fully understood the reason for bras. Did cave women need them? Did Roman women or ancient Chinese women wear them? It seems incredibly uncomfortable. I say, be comfortable. Males are attracted to females; it's instinctual. Women, please don't be offended if men are gazing worshipfully upon your beautiful chest. We can't help it!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,597,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Who said we're "comfortable"?
Everything is relative.

Put on a tight jock strap and strap on some stilletos, and then do everything you have to do for about 10 hours, including any walking around the office, getting into or out of a vehicle, walking from a parking structure, etc. Then, see if you are more comfortable as a woman or as a man, who happens to maybe have to put on a suit and tie.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,927,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Feminism.
So wear a bra. Who's stopping you? Is it going to kill you if somebody else doesn't?

And what is so bad about not wanting to wear uncomfortable clothing, wanting to get paid the same as others for doing the same work, wanting a choice whether to get married or have kids, wanting to support yourself instead of depending on someone else, keeping the money you earn, and having your own credit cards and checking account?

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with wanting or not wanting those things. But as soon as someone brings them up, all of a sudden she's a feminist (said like it's a dirty word) and is treated like she lacks some sort of morality the more sanctimonious among us have.

You really think it's OK to not want to wear comfortable clothing, not want to get paid the same as others for doing the same work, not want a choice whether to get married or have kids, not want to support yourself instead of depending on someone else, not keep the money you earn, and not have your own credit cards and checking account?

Seriously, what planet are you people living on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Bras don’t have to be uncomfortable. Get fitted by a professional and don’t buy cheap bras.
I don’t like them and I’d dislike them even more if they caused discomfort.
As for “ speaking up” with the whole equality thing. I choose battles that are more important
to me than having to wear a bra.
If you choose to fight for other things that are more important to you, have at it. Obviously the woman in THIS story is choosing to fight about not having to wear a bra to work because that's important to HER.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 09-02-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,927,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
We can't help it!
I'm glad you're not in charge of national security in this country. You'd be a prime target for a honey trap.

----------------------------------------

For the rest of you neanderthals:

I've been watching a lot of equestrian show jumping competitions lately. I'd say between a quarter and half of those horses are stallions who manage to compete against geldings and MARES, and I have yet to see one of those stallions not be totally concentrated on what he's doing in the ring when he's competing, despite the presence of the opposite sex.

There's one of two things you can take away from this.

1) Maybe you need someone riding your back and making you behave so you can do your job.

or

2) Own up to the fact that a male horse is more capable than you of doing his job despite the distractions.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:23 PM

10,923 posts, read 7,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
As a male, I've never fully understood the reason for bras. Did cave women need them? Did Roman women or ancient Chinese women wear them?
As a matter of fact, women in ancient Greece wore a bra-like garment called a zona. Romans appropriated a lot of Greek customs, so Roman women may very well have worn bras. I don't know about cave women or ancient Chinese.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,632,030 times
Rodentraiser, did you or did you not look at the picture of the woman in question wearing her light blue-green uniform top? Without a bra, it wouldn't even be appropriate in a hooters. More like a cocktail waitress at a strip club in the skeezy part of town in the 1950's.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 PM

10,923 posts, read 7,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Rodentraiser, did you or did you not look at the picture of the woman in question wearing her light blue-green uniform top? Without a bra, it wouldn't even be appropriate in a hooters. More like a cocktail waitress at a strip club in the skeezy part of town in the 1950's.
It's an opaque polo shirt, more preppy than sexy. I would think your 1950s cocktail waitress would be fired for wearing a man's shirt to work instead of a skimpy bodice over a missile cone bra.

Yes, the shape of her nipple shows. Many bra styles would not hide that, and a tank top would be ridiculous (and hot) under a polo shirt.

This reminds me of an episode of the Andy Griffith show. Andy and some of the fellows were going to Mount Pilot, and planned to visit the café where the waitresses wore peekaboo blouses.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:45 PM

765 posts, read 475,664 times
can some of us just get over the fact we got the vote, we can burn our bras and we expect men to change diapers too.

sheesh. Where the heck is Bella Abzug when ya need her?? i loved when she said: This woman's place is in the house: The House of Representatives!!!! Any woman on Tricky Dick's enemies list is a friend of mine.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:34 AM

609 posts, read 352,029 times
Default Men's Rights

I agree. I want to free ball it. From now on, i am wearing clear white pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment