Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
No personal cell phones PERIOD.. can't even bring them in. 6 6.25%
No restriction against bringing in a personal phone but nearly zero tolerance for use during work 14 14.58%
You must step out of the office to take a call or to check your phone 2 2.08%
Occasional use is allowed 17 17.71%
Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.) 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,563,700 times

Advertisements

Either the official or unofficial policies.. say if you only see people at your workplace occasionally checking their personal cell phones even though management didn't state an official policy, then select "occasional use is tolerated".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 02:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,035 posts, read 82,286,952 times
We have no official policy, but it falls under the general policy limiting personal business to breaks and lunch unless urgent. For my staff, as long as the work is being done well and deadlines are met I’m not going to say anything if I see the on the cell (or internet) at their desks. It hasn’t been a problem except for one person who left about 2015.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:22 PM

7,978 posts, read 7,401,390 times
I work in the kitchen of a school cafeteria, not an office. Cell phones are filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom...this is covered under all safe food handling seminars we have to attend. Talking on or touching a phone requires immediate hand washing, so we're discouraged from having them in the kitchen. However, if we need to have the cell phone handy if we're awaiting news in a a family emergency or other situation, we can keep it in a pocket.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 PM

30,530 posts, read 52,241,657 times
There's no official policy where I work (which is something I've been pushing to change), but it's generally accepted that you do NOT use your phone while on the "floor" - meaning if you're at the public reference desk, circulation desks, shelving books, etc. But if you're in the back/staff areas or your personal desk, nobody really cares or notices. Some folks do abuse our lack of a policy, though, which is why I've personally spoken to the managers about implementing one. To me it's just really unprofessional, especially considering the kind of work we're doing. It's one thing for the teenager at Forever 21 to be texting behind the register, but walking into a library and seeing (grown adult) staff members doing that? Um, no.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 PM

30,530 posts, read 52,241,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I work in the kitchen of a school cafeteria, not an office. Cell phones are filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom...this is covered under all safe food handling seminars we have to attend. Talking on or touching a phone requires immediate hand washing, so we're discouraged from having them in the kitchen. However, if we need to have the cell phone handy if we're awaiting news in a a family emergency or other situation, we can keep it in a pocket.
Glad to hear that!! If I see restaurant workers using their phones, I will literally walk out and not eat there again... it's just gross.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 21,430,520 times
My son is working in a factory where cameras are not allowed, so if your phone has a camera your phone isn't allowed. It is apparently something they will fire employees over, so some of the employees carry flip phones for emergencies.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,774,283 times
I work for myself and I use my phone however I want. Sometimes I think I need to place a restriction on it... like right now, I’m surfing the web instead of dealing with work. Gah. A blessing and a curse...

Old 02-14-2018, 09:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,702,268 times
Get your job done. The rest is up to you.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,348,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Get your job done. The rest is up to you.
I'm new to my current company and this seems to be the situation here. Everyone has their personal cellphones on their desk, and frequently can be seen calling, texting, etc. - everyone from the admin to the manager of the office. Not seen as a big deal.

At my old company, it was the same way except some managers required all phones to be put away and on silent mode during meetings. Others didn't care.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,489,675 times
Nobody cares, because we're not teenagers or untrustworthy, entry-level pee-ons in the work force.

If you do a job well done, they are pretty flexible here. I can even go for walks without being monitored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment