Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
No personal cell phones PERIOD.. can't even bring them in. 6 6.25%
No restriction against bringing in a personal phone but nearly zero tolerance for use during work 14 14.58%
You must step out of the office to take a call or to check your phone 2 2.08%
Occasional use is allowed 17 17.71%
Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.) 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,644 times

Advertisements

My company doesn't mind employees bringing phones, but use during work time is forbidden. Many employees use their phones during morning and afternoon breaks and lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 04:45 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
How about, no one cares it's your phone.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I chose the last option but, if you're doing an excellent job you may not even get a chance to check your messages unless the computer locks up. I occasionally check mine while awaiting computer hang ups to clear but I'm by the door and, without missing a beat, someone important walks in and sees me. :/

Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
They're officially supposed to not be visible. Mine sits on a wireless charger on my desk most of the day. A lot of people are on their phones. I'm rarely on the phone, but C-D's color scheme blends right in with several of my work tools, so I do that instead.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,849 times
I checked the fifth option as I am not aware of any official company policy about cell phones. On the other hand, there might be one as this is a big company and me manager has pretty much 0 interest in enforcing any kind of policies unless he is forced to by his management or someone is really abusing some privilege.

But the unofficial rule seem to be of course that cell phones have to be on vibrate during meetings and no one takes non emergency personal call during meetings. Most people step away from their desks if they need to have a longer conversation...

Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I respond to texts and such. AS long as the work is getting done. I don't take formal breaks either....I just leave my desk from time to time. Again, as long as work gets done. If it's crazy, then of course I don't respond to anything and I'm chained to my desk.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
"Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.)"

Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I have always hoped the people involved in children's education are ........ educated.

I did not realize that people have that much time to waste. I am confused by the fact that people spend that much time in there.
Do people spend so much time in there to actually whip it out and hit as any "likes" as they can ??

I can assure you that I do not take my phone out in the bathroom, that is unthinkable, I am extremely grateful that there are regulations to educate people NOT to do this. The fact that people bring their devices into the bathroom or let their cat's do what they want with them, makes me question what else people do towards one another. We should really increase regulatory scrutiny on those serving food.
It’s not even that they take their phone to the bathroom, people don’t wash their hands. And fecal matter is everywhere.

Mythbusters did a test of fecal matter on toothbrushes. They brushed in the kitchen, in a bathroom with closed toilets, and a bathroom where they never shut the lid. Results were surprisingly similar.

People also wash badly. Maybe a rinse, maybe a lick of soap, but no real rubbing your hands together for any length of time.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
My company doesn't mind employees bringing phones, but use during work time is forbidden. Many employees use their phones during morning and afternoon breaks and lunch.
One of the things that really works for me is timer tasks. I’m very clock oriented, and something I do not want to tackle I can do in 30 minute intervals. Set my phone timer for 30 minutes, and go go go! Having a timer going means instead of breaking to check the clock to see if I can stop now, I can work steadily knowing my half hour is not going to be missed.

Also I work better with some sort of counter balance. I love to work to English history videos, most of which can be listened to easily, as they’re showing portraits and book plates. Funny, music annoys me. Ads annoy me more.

Maybe it’s not true for a lot of people, but for me, my phone is a useful tool. So the not using it at work would hamper me.

But all work isn’t equal. My thirty minute trick wouldn’t work in an office where emails are flying and have to be answered within a short time frame. So, as usual, your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment