Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
No personal cell phones PERIOD.. can't even bring them in. 6 6.25%
No restriction against bringing in a personal phone but nearly zero tolerance for use during work 14 14.58%
You must step out of the office to take a call or to check your phone 2 2.08%
Occasional use is allowed 17 17.71%
Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.) 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:05 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,100,380 times

Advertisements

I put it at occasional use but it is in between there and no policy at all. Basically it has to directly impact jobs to get any comments. Partially because especially in special education, it is needed for emergencies or anything.

Another job I work is no policy except certain circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM

13,018 posts, read 9,306,840 times
Depends on the building and room. Some are no electronics while in the normal office common sense applies.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,114,678 times
We can send a text here or there and check our email, listen to pandora. We're not supposed to be on Instagram or Facebook all day but the chick who sits next to me is on social media from the time she sits down until it's time to go. I guess you can get away with doing that when you're one of the well liked people in an office. SMH

Old 02-15-2018, 02:06 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,514,848 times
Hospital provides us iPhone's and iPad's. We have to use the phones that are provided while at work.

Personal phones are tolerated but only to be used away from the patients and visitors. Easy to tell what phone you are using as the hospital phones and iPad's have a distinct cover on them.

You can use on a limited basis the hospital phones for personal use. When doing that you want to find an out of the way place to use them.

Hospital offers WiFi and tracks where we go.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,816,348 times
No restrictions at my job. I leave my phone on my desk and if someone calls or texts me I'm free to use it.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:32 PM

5,490 posts, read 4,519,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Why are cellphones "filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom" ? That does not make any sense to me. Do people let the general public use their phone similar to a public restroom???

As for the poll, we are in the boat, "Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.)"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because people rarely clean the touch screen, and they touch it with germs filthy hands, often while in the bathroom before washing. I clean mine at least once a day with a very small spritz of alcohol and water and a microfiber cloth. We get our glasses at Costco, and we have a ton of small microfiber cloths, and I wash them a lot.
Another "pro tip" is you may want to be careful about using other people's iPads/tablet devices... it seems a surprising number of people use them while on the toilet!

Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM

30,530 posts, read 52,247,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Hmmm, So apparently I have been using the bathroom wrong. Should I be holding it with one hand and using the other for the phone? There is no way that people do this. Even if people are sitting, how much can be accomplished in that time?

Do people spend that much time in there?? I bet those are all "higher education" people, probably getting 60/hr to sit there and waste so much time.
You didn't realize people use their phones in the bathroom? Or are you confused by how that's dirty? I'll spell it out: You sit on the toilet, whip out the phone, and tap away (whatever you happen to be doing on it) until your toileting business is done. You put it down or back in your pocket, get up from the throne, and THEN wash your hands. While you might not be directly touching the phone to anything "icky," the bacteria and - sorry for the tmi - FECAL or URINE MATTER is floating around that space while you're seated. Also, some folks might wipe then touch their phone before washing those hands. It's gross when you think about it, and yet many many folks (myself included sometimes) do it without thinking to clean the phone afterwards.

Even if you ignore the bathroom business, how often does the average person clean their phone? I'll admit I rarely clean mine, and yet it goes almost everywhere with me - sits inside my purse, on tables, desks, occasionally other people's hands, even my cats' butts have probably graced it. LOL. So yes, it's a filthy filthy object that I don't want in the hands of anyone serving me food. It's one thing for my OWN germs to be transferred, but another to have some unknown person's germs on my food. And I'm far from a germaphobe, but that's just blatantly gross.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 PM

144 posts, read 115,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
"Filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom" is a statement ALWAYS made ..............on the phone isn't part of our jobs.

Wouldn't you feel better knowing your child's lunch was being prepared by someone who took these precautions?
I have always hoped the people involved in children's education are ........ educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You’re taking it too literally. But yes, everything we touch is dirty, it transfers to your screen. It’s pretty simple. And if you talk on your phone via speaker, add to it the viruses and bacteria we breathe out. Clean your screens.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...phone-bacteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You didn't realize people use their phones in the bathroom? Or are you confused by how that's dirty? I'll spell it out: You sit on the toilet, whip out the phone, and tap away (whatever you happen to be doing on it) until your toileting business is done. ................other people's hands, even my cats' butts have probably graced it. LOL. So yes, it's a filthy filthy object that I don't want in the hands of anyone serving me food. It's one thing for my OWN germs to be transferred, but another to have some unknown person's germs on my food. And I'm far from a germaphobe, but that's just blatantly gross.
I did not realize that people have that much time to waste. I am confused by the fact that people spend that much time in there.
Do people spend so much time in there to actually whip it out and hit as any "likes" as they can ??

I can assure you that I do not take my phone out in the bathroom, that is unthinkable, I am extremely grateful that there are regulations to educate people NOT to do this. The fact that people bring their devices into the bathroom or let their cat's do what they want with them, makes me question what else people do towards one another. We should really increase regulatory scrutiny on those serving food.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,414,139 times
Still today I've noticed that most businesses just don't even HAVE a cell phone policy. If they do have it, it's not enforced. Restaurant people are walking into the chefs' kitchen banging away on their dirty cell phone.
One company I worked for had young workers looking/texting on their phones and running equipment like cut off saws.
It just didn't seem to register with them, until my first aid skills were badly needed. And yet,
they had all kinds of regulations on other work procedures.

If I stopped and had a coffee every time they took their phone out I'd be shown the door!!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,414,139 times
I can see if you're in sales, some administration, etc. a cell phone is tolerated. But I have some real horror stories in industrial and construction. We've had young supervisors welded, literally, to their phones to the point where they were killed by not being "area aware".

It's also impacts my time as needed information requests are interrupted by THEIR important incoming phone call, that has nothing to do with company time X TWO: MINE AND THEIRS.

I find it amazing that companies can't see the lost productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment