Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
No personal cell phones PERIOD.. can't even bring them in. 6 6.25%
No restriction against bringing in a personal phone but nearly zero tolerance for use during work 14 14.58%
You must step out of the office to take a call or to check your phone 2 2.08%
Occasional use is allowed 17 17.71%
Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.) 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM

15,657 posts, read 26,425,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Why are cellphones "filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom" ? That does not make any sense to me. Do people let the general public use their phone similar to a public restroom???

As for the poll, we are in the boat, "Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.)"
Because people rarely clean the touch screen, and they touch it with germs filthy hands, often while in the bathroom before washing. I clean mine at least once a day with a very small spritz of alcohol and water and a microfiber cloth. We get our glasses at Costco, and we have a ton of small microfiber cloths, and I wash them a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 832,996 times
We have an official policy - don't use them in view of clients. That's it. I work for a very visible non-profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Neither am I (or my colleague) - in fact, most of us are post-graduate degreed and trustworthy adults. BUT we also happen to work in a heavily scrutinized area of public services, so it's just not professional or smart to be using phones in view of our patrons. Not to mention, it's pretty hard to enforce "quiet standards" on the patrons, if library staff is yakking or tapping away too.

So it often has little to do with employees' ages or trustworthiness, and more to do with the specific nature of your job. Would you be okay with a doctor texting their friends, or answering personal phone calls, while you were in their office for an exam? Think about it.
Exactly.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM

144 posts, read 115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because people rarely clean the touch screen, and they touch it with germs filthy hands, often while in the bathroom before washing. I clean mine at least once a day with a very small spritz of alcohol and water and a microfiber cloth. We get our glasses at Costco, and we have a ton of small microfiber cloths, and I wash them a lot.
Hmmm, So apparently I have been using the bathroom wrong. Should I be holding it with one hand and using the other for the phone? There is no way that people do this. Even if people are sitting, how much can be accomplished in that time?

Do people spend that much time in there?? I bet those are all "higher education" people, probably getting 60/hr to sit there and waste so much time.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,402,157 times
I teach in an elementary school. We were told at the beginning of the school year that we are not to be "using our phones" during the school day, but I have used it for purposes other than a "phone". For example I have used the timer during reading assessments and check the temperature daily before recess.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 PM

16,226 posts, read 21,425,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My sister's good friend used to work for the CIA, and had to leave ALL mobile devices at home or in her car before entering the office... no cell phones, pagers (this was a while back), personal laptops, eReaders, cameras, iPods, NOTHING. She was completely "off grid" during work hours, and I'm pretty sure she was also not allowed to give out the inside/landline numbers to anyone. There was probably an emergency number for family, but that would be it.

I have no idea what she even did for them, either - guess if she'd told us, she would have had to kill us. She does speak fluent Mandarin, so perhaps that gives us a clue?

I'm fairly certain my son doesn't do anything that exciting or mysterious (but who knows, maybe the 'factory job' is just a cover!), but he's part of a team that designs new parts, so I guess maybe they worry about industrial espionage? I just thought is was funny all these techie geeks have to use flip phones at work, lol

Old 02-14-2018, 11:11 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,584,139 times
Zero tolerance. Luckily we have these weird things at our desk that ring and we speak into or listen from. Wow! How archaic is that! Or we use our computers to look up directions or find information for our customers!

I am not a fan of texting or apps ....was raised with out em and by golly pretty sure I don't need em at a paid job where I am to be producing results.....not playing on a phone.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 PM

7,978 posts, read 7,400,443 times
Quote:
Why are cellphones "filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom" ? That does not make any sense to me. Do people let the general public use their phone similar to a public restroom???

As for the poll, we are in the boat, "Use your personal phone as much as you like (as long as you're doing an excellent job in your work.)"
"Filthier and more germ ridden than a public restroom" is a statement ALWAYS made by instructors at Safe Food Handling seminars that we (public school cafeteria workers) are required to take yearly. Nothing is allowed in the kitchen that could compromise or possibly contaminate the preparation area or the food being prepared. Sanitation standards are more stringent than most restaurants. A staff member using a cell phone in the kitchen food prep area or even having one sitting on a counter where food is prepared would be cause for a health inspection violation. Or at least, a write up from our supervisor.

Not to mention, a serious distraction while using equipment such as dough cutting machines, mixers, slicers, steamers. It's NOT an office. Talking on the phone isn't part of our jobs.

Wouldn't you feel better knowing your child's lunch was being prepared by someone who took these precautions?

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-14-2018 at 11:55 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 AM

15,657 posts, read 26,425,827 times
Quote:
Hmmm, So apparently I have been using the bathroom wrong. Should I be holding it with one hand and using the other for the phone? There is no way that people do this. Even if people are sitting, how much can be accomplished in that time?

Do people spend that much time in there?? I bet those are all "higher education" people, probably getting 60/hr to sit there and waste so much time.
You’re taking it too literally. But yes, everything we touch is dirty, it transfers to your screen. It’s pretty simple. And if you talk on your phone via speaker, add to it the viruses and bacteria we breathe out. Clean your screens.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...phone-bacteria

Old 02-15-2018, 05:37 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,773,456 times
Quote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/survey-...e-in-bathroom/

Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 832,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Zero tolerance. Luckily we have these weird things at our desk that ring and we speak into or listen from. Wow! How archaic is that! Or we use our computers to look up directions or find information for our customers!

I am not a fan of texting or apps ....was raised with out em and by golly pretty sure I don't need em at a paid job where I am to be producing results.....not playing on a phone.
I was raised without the internet at well. But my job does not involve sitting at a desk for long periods of time, where I can check e-mail or answer a landline. It does involve some time literally sitting and waiting, so my employer has no issue if I check a text or an e-mail during that time. It does not affect my productivity at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment