Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I'm starting a new job but have the opportunity to keep my old job if I go back in a few days. What are some red flags to look out for at the new job the first couple of days. From my perspective, a bad manager is one red flag, since most people, myself included, leave bad managers...
You re going into a new job looking for reasons to get out....Hummmmmm????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times
Well, first day was great. The meetings I went to were not tense. People seemed friendly and competent, but relaxed. I had equipment waiting for me in my office (laptop, etc.). And to top it off, my boss took me out to lunch at a Mexican place we both liked. My boss has already scheduled orientations with me to help me get started. He is supportive. We also seem to be on the same page on A LOT of topics related to work.

Unlike the job I left, where it took nearly 3 months to get me a permanent laptop (I was borrowing one from another department, I arranged that on my own....). When I started, everyone was just complaining to each other about the management, on my first day I overheard their conversations and knew I had made a mistake. My boss was no where to be found. To this day I didn't have a 1:1 with him. The only time I heard from him was when he was ready to micromanage. And of course he always took something that was fine, and made it awful...

Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yep. If you walk in and nobody makes an effort to make you feel welcome...not a good sign. Also? Listen to your gut. It's the greatest alarm bell.
It sure is...every time.
I started a new job and everybody I work with are nice. But this one girl...I just can't put my finger on it, but It's something about her I just don't like.
I am all for people giving me constructive criticism, especially when I am new to something. That's how I learn. But this girl , there is just something about her.
It had been bugging me for a while until I got my feelings confirmed. I was on my lunch and a couple of my coworkers sat down beside me and we started to talk. They asked how I liked it so far. Then without me saying or implying anything, I was warned me about the same girl I have a bad feeling about.
I am not going to go into details but bottom line is..listen to your gut. It's usually right.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
My first day at a new big law firm job, January 2, 2014 was mostly orientation. Benefits, lunch with the partners etc. The next day it snowed. I went in to make a good impression but no one was there. Monday, January 6 the red flags were flying. They froze the issuance of "matter codes" for clients me and the colleague I came with wanted to bring in. Without codes, couldn't work the files. Excuses were compliance, conflict checks. About two weeks and change later I met the head of Litigation, which was supervisory over my department, bankruptcy. She didn't even introduce herself before taking a negative position on the handling of the file we had brought in to the firm and were meeting about.

February 10, I slipped on ice on the way to work. My colleague (now my employer again) urged me to wear the foot brace as little as possible. February 13 the red flags were ripping in the wind. I was asked to prepare a memo of all of my cases and my colleagues, with deadline dates. I asked another colleague if it was unusual and he said "it's not normal but not unheard of." Then cases my colleague and I brought over were reassigned to other lawyers, over the client's vehement objections.

I was given notice right after July 4 weekend for an end-of-year termination.

My colleague was separated 2 1/3 years later. We're back together.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 AM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
I once briefly went to work for a big state run home for the mentally retarded. In orientation we were taught how to physically take down a combative person. There was one building you absolutely did not want to get assigned to. Not a good sign.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I once briefly went to work for a big state run home for the mentally retarded. In orientation we were taught how to physically take down a combative person. There was one building you absolutely did not want to get assigned to. Not a good sign.
lol!
You are a nurse?
I would think that kind of work would be interesting. Maybe not at the state Im in now but still.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
If you smell weed smoke on people's clothes. That's a red flag. Either the work is very dull/boring/stressful or the company promotes such a work place. (and yes, I have worked in a "professional job with this type of work culture). Don't get me wrong, I love the sticky icky, but there's a time and place for those things.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
lol!
You are a nurse?
I would think that kind of work would be interesting. Maybe not at the state Im in now but still.

Yes nursing is very interesting (and difficult) but the talk in the nurses stations and break rooms is highly entertaining. There are plenty of red flag patient rooms. You have to go in there, someone has to do it. But keep a sense of humor an its not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment