Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,455,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
When I'm at work, I'm only concerned with performing my job competently and efficiently. Feelings have no place at work. If you are so sensitive that someone's choice of words will turn you into an emotional wreck, you may as well stay home and collect welfare.
That is really how it should be, the only exception is people who work in "helping professions" with sick, elderly, children, etc. Showing compassion is a virtue in those fields. If you're in, for example, a tech field or engineering, I can see how you believe that emotions don't have a place. I should not have to sugar coat my language and it's not part of my job to make sure other workers feel good about themselves. I've been called out for having negative facial expressions that "upset" a co-worker and I feel it was her problem, not mine. She could have just ignored me, and we didn't even work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,067,524 times
Quote:
When I'm at work, I'm only concerned with performing my job competently and efficiently. Feelings have no place at work. If you are so sensitive that someone's choice of words will turn you into an emotional wreck, you may as well stay home and collect welfare.
Wow!! Is it possible that you could benefit from a year in solitary confinement?? Since you have nothing positive to offer other people would it be better for all it you were removed from the general public / workplace ? Even animals remove malcontents or defective offspring from their population.

Focus and attention to detail is one thing. Hateful rudeness it quite another.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:50 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,847,541 times
Quote:
When I'm at work, my whole focus is on my job. If someone tries to tell me something non-work related, I usually respond with "Don't talk to me. I'm not your friend."

My boss has talked to me about my bluntness, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Work is about getting a job done, not playing social games.
Saying you're under a tight deadline and you'll catch up with them will end in the same result and NOT have them hate you.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,731,090 times
Quote:
When I'm at work, my whole focus is on my job. If someone tries to tell me something non-work related, I usually respond with "Don't talk to me. I'm not your friend."

My boss has talked to me about my bluntness, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Work is about getting a job done, not playing social games.
That's not blunt, that is beyond rude.

So when you grab your chest and are about to fall to the ground, they should say " don't bother me, I am not a doctor, this is work".

You certainly don't have to be social at work, you do have to be civil.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,731,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
You do realize, don't you, that by speaking with coworkers that way, they could conceivably report you as creating a hostile work environment? Quit being a jerk. There are polite ways to say "I'm busy". And if your boss has already spoken to you about it, go ahead and keep ignoring what he told you and don't change, well that's fine. See you on the unemployment board.
Exactly, and these days with workplace violence and shootings it makes you come off as a loose cannon.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,623,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is really how it should be, the only exception is people who work in "helping professions" with sick, elderly, children, etc. Showing compassion is a virtue in those fields. If you're in, for example, a tech field or engineering, I can see how you believe that emotions don't have a place. I should not have to sugar coat my language and it's not part of my job to make sure other workers feel good about themselves. I've been called out for having negative facial expressions that "upset" a co-worker and I feel it was her problem, not mine. She could have just ignored me, and we didn't even work together.
There shouldn't be a need to sugar-coat, but there's really no need to arsenic-coat, either. There is a difference between not handling people with kid gloves and going out of one's way to be actively hostile.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:11 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,623,015 times
Quote:
If there is any justice in this world, one of the people you treat this way today will be your boss tomorrow, and will remember that you are not their friend.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's not blunt, that is beyond rude.

So when you grab your chest and are about to fall to the ground, they should say " don't bother me, I am not a doctor, this is work".

You certainly don't have to be social at work, you do have to be civil.
Slam!! Bam!! Get to the point will ya?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:26 PM

[quote=seain dublin;49952538]Exactly, and these days with workplace violence and shootings it makes you come off as a loose cannon. [ /quote]

Loose cannons almost always find their way out the door with a boot or two helping them along. They also find jobs, friends, and comfort impossible to find.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,455,986 times
If OP is a contractor, it might be understandable why he doesn't want to make friends at work. It's hard to make friends in a place where your job could end at any moment. Contractors and temps are a revolving door and you can get to know someone one day, and then never see them again the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment