Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 02:38 AM

7,650 posts, read 5,164,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think there are plenty of jobs out there- it's just that the market has shifted. And the changes happen more quickly now, so you have to be just that more flexible.

I work two jobs, one full-time and one part-time. I think a lot of people are doing that now. It's enough to where I have what I want in terms of disposable income, but not so much I feel overwhelmed. Neither job entail what I went to college for, however, having a degree did help my employability to an extent.

My part-time job is freelancing as an interior designer. Much of business comes through social media. I think you have to be aware of your online presence more than ever. And make it work to your advantage.
Yep you have to be a professional engineer in 3 disaplines, welder, carpenter, doctor because the "in demand" fad of the day may last 6 months to a year. Oh and live in a travel trailer so that you can constantly move every 3 months, maybe a semi truck with a trailer so you can set up an office shop lab doctors office

And if you missed the 3 month niche window you can turn it into a hipster food truck with tofu smoothies and put on some little prescriptionless glasses frames with some flanels and dance around with some enya playing. Better get a 40'er trailer or a double hauler so you can have the equivalent of a single family home on the road with solar panels, gas generator etc.

This is satire ... but just barely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 03:21 AM

266 posts, read 248,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Brown is the new privilege color.
Regarding this comment, laws were put in place over 50 years ago to ensure various groups were treated fairly. Brown is NOT the new privilege color.

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the landmark legislation named Executive Order 11246, requiring Equal Employment Opportunity. The legislation prohibits employers who receive Federal contracts over $10,000 in any given year from discriminating in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. In addition, the Executive Order also required Federal contractors to take affirmative action to make certain that applicants are employed and treated fairly, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin during their employment. In fact, the Executive Order required larger employers (Federal contractors with 50 or more employees, with contracts of $50,000 or more) to develop a written affirmative action plan to increase the participation of minorities and women in the workplace

Contractors must take affirmative action to ensure protected groups are hired, retained, and promoted. Employers are encouraged to make outreach efforts to attract qualified candidates in the protected groups and are held accountable for those effort

Employers have to show efforts they have attracted and retained women, minorities, veterans and disabled.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:03 AM

This Land Is No Longer Your Land

Another step towards feudalism, only the filthy rich will have access to these land while the rest of us serfs and vassels live in shanty towns with min wage jobs.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
Regarding this comment, laws were put in place over 50 years ago to ensure various groups were treated fairly. Brown is NOT the new privilege color.

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the landmark legislation named Executive Order 11246, requiring Equal Employment Opportunity. The legislation prohibits employers who receive Federal contracts over $10,000 in any given year from discriminating in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. In addition, the Executive Order also required Federal contractors to take affirmative action to make certain that applicants are employed and treated fairly, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin during their employment. In fact, the Executive Order required larger employers (Federal contractors with 50 or more employees, with contracts of $50,000 or more) to develop a written affirmative action plan to increase the participation of minorities and women in the workplace

Contractors must take affirmative action to ensure protected groups are hired, retained, and promoted. Employers are encouraged to make outreach efforts to attract qualified candidates in the protected groups and are held accountable for those effort

Employers have to show efforts they have attracted and retained women, minorities, veterans and disabled.
What countries are white people protected classes? Russia, Germany, ... ? Where else?

Old 10-26-2017, 05:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,725,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
In the aggregate, wages have collapsed for the bottom 99%, wages have decoupled from productivity, and wages as a percentage of GDP have been falling for years.

Therefore personal accountability has no place in this discussion.

If you think personal accountability isn't relevant then you are one of the problems. There are jobs out there. I find it odd that most people I know (as well as I) have never had much of a problem finding a job. It might not be the job we wanted at the time, but it was a job to get us by until a better one came along. As I said before, there are jobs available. I also haven't seen wages collapse. I've increased my wages from less than $20k in 2001 to over $80k today. My wife has gone from $16k in 2001 to over $120k as of last week when her last promotion went through.

When the market shifts you have to be able to shift with it. Ask people what skills they have and you'll often get an answer that shows they only know how to do one or two things. If you learn many different skills, you make yourself more valuable to companies and suddenly you find a plethora of job options available.

When I decided to go back to college in 2008 (8 years after I graduated HS), I majored in IT. As I was finishing my Associate's, I realized that our local IT industry was flooded with people all fighting over a few jobs. I changed my major for my Bachelor's to a Business degree. I knew that would give me more opportunities than IT. It was a smart decision and one that I have benefitted from many times over.

Had I stayed on my original course I would be struggling to find a job. Who could I blame for that? Companies? I took some personal accountability and did the things necessary to benefit myself. No one is any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
I can tell you that is bs. If you lived here, you'd understand. There's what you see on the internet and what you see in real life. Two different things
I do understand. It's not that much different anywhere. Your skills have to match the industry around you. Otherwise you'll be complaining that there are no jobs.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 AM

653 posts, read 823,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yikes. You are a bit sociopathic..
More communist than sociopathic

Old 10-26-2017, 06:09 AM

653 posts, read 823,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think there are plenty of jobs out there- it's just that the market has shifted. And the changes happen more quickly now, so you have to be just that more flexible.

I work two jobs, one full-time and one part-time. I think a lot of people are doing that now. It's enough to where I have what I want in terms of disposable income, but not so much I feel overwhelmed. Neither job entail what I went to college for, however, having a degree did help my employability to an extent.

My part-time job is freelancing as an interior designer. Much of business comes through social media. I think you have to be aware of your online presence more than ever. And make it work to your advantage.
Having a degree didn't really help you, if you're having to work to jobs

Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 AM

21,039 posts, read 28,677,738 times
There are plenty of jobs out there but you have to be the right fit for the job. I went on 2 interviews recently and one of them offered me the job. I am taking it. Put your resume on Indeed. That's how I got my new job and so did my husband. I am on Long island in NY and there seems to be plenty of people hiring.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:16 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,307,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If you think personal accountability isn't relevant then you are one of the problems. There are jobs out there. I find it odd that most people I know (as well as I) have never had much of a problem finding a job. It might not be the job we wanted at the time, but it was a job to get us by until a better one came along. As I said before, there are jobs available. I also haven't seen wages collapse. I've increased my wages from less than $20k in 2001 to over $80k today. My wife has gone from $16k in 2001 to over $120k as of last week when her last promotion went through.

When the market shifts you have to be able to shift with it. Ask people what skills they have and you'll often get an answer that shows they only know how to do one or two things. If you learn many different skills, you make yourself more valuable to companies and suddenly you find a plethora of job options available.

When I decided to go back to college in 2008 (8 years after I graduated HS), I majored in IT. As I was finishing my Associate's, I realized that our local IT industry was flooded with people all fighting over a few jobs. I changed my major for my Bachelor's to a Business degree. I knew that would give me more opportunities than IT. It was a smart decision and one that I have benefitted from many times over.

Had I stayed on my original course I would be struggling to find a job. Who could I blame for that? Companies? I took some personal accountability and did the things necessary to benefit myself. No one is any different.

I do understand. It's not that much different anywhere. Your skills have to match the industry around you. Otherwise you'll be complaining that there are no jobs.
Aah, you work in an demand field. Now I get your attitude. You are, as they, 'out of touch'.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,147,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
More communist than sociopathic
Well, he is willing, and in fact eager, to start WW3, including the use of nuclear weapons, so I am comfortable with sociopath. It's tough to put an economic label on the guy, as he veers like a drunken sailer from communism to capitalism to fascism with no consistency. I would say the heaviest emphasis is on fascism though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment