Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,863,317 times

Advertisements

I've rented from pretty strange people to very nice people. Have a lock on your door helps. Limit the food you have, or get a fridge door lock.

My last time was with a guy who stunned his friends by saying "Oh, my roommate? I got him off Craigslist, he doesn't eat my food, pays rent on time and doesn't bother my daughter" (She was 2.5 and 4 when I left) yeah, they were surprised....I just wasn't raised to screw people over.

While it's a risk, in some cases you really find new friends, or know the signs to look out for the next time. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Hi,

I started my new job on Monday. Planned on commuting first week to two weeks at an hour and fifteen minutes.

No one is willing to rent to me at $900 at the lowest price. I don’t feel comfortable sharing a room with a stranger.

I told my employer I had these issues before my job started. Now I told them it’s been three weeks and no luck. I’ve applied to two other jobs closer to my current home and have interviews. My boss likes me and asked finances if I could get a dollar boost in my wage to 16 an hour. Rooms cost about 950 dollars. I make 15 an hour. My boss had a second option but didn’t like me working remotely but said he’d be open or he said maybe fast track into the higher position with some work in another department.

I don’t know what to do.

I also got a parking ticket my first day because I had no clue where to park and on third day was hit by a truck on the freeway in traffic. Thankfully it was minor and I didn’t die in my small Prius.

Thanks,

Cityguy
You can make more money, get a new job or deal with roommates. But you do not make enough to be super picky at this point.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,175,534 times
Buy a nice van that you can live in in the parking lot, set up solar panels and use the company gym/showers or find a cheap fitness club VERY close. Also you can get paid to protest as a second job too.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 AM

you could insulate your van with this - Flexible, high-strength polymer aerogels deliver "super-insulation" properties

Then use solar panels for AC, TV, lap top have a small personal office. You could tow a trailer like in the accountant, that was a pretty sick set up.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,961,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
My sister lives an hour and 15 away. I pay a little. The idea it was transitional housing. I lived in the same city where I work 2 years ago and I got a room for $850 and I had a back up option too. That took me 2 weeks. It's been a month and I cant even get one $900 place to live without having to deal with pot smokers and with my allergies I cant live with pot. I was tempted to negotiate my wage before starting, but I thought well I can see if I can do without. I can't do without now that I realize.
so what's your rough budget on all of your expenses?

Housing
utilities (electric, gas, water, etc)
food
loans
credit cards
gas
phone
internet
tv
clothing
etc..

if you could share some info maybe we could help you figure out where things could be cut..

i don't know what line of work you are in and how much experience you have to know if $16/hr is a good wage; but if you're paying $950 for a room you're in a pretty expensive metro.. I would think unless this is a low-skill job, you'd be better off finding a more affordable metro where you can get your own apartment for around 1k.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,966,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Buy a nice van that you can live in in the parking lot, set up solar panels and use the company gym/showers or find a cheap fitness club VERY close. Also you can get paid to protest as a second job too.
I think it's pretty damned sad that someone working a regular 40 hour a week job in America would have to resort out of living out of cars/vans. It's like a race to the bottom anymore. The cost of housing is quickly outpacing wages. I remember back in the late 80s/90s if you had a job, any job you could have a basic place to live. Now even that basic place to live is out of reach unless you're a high earner.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I think it's pretty damned sad that someone working a regular 40 hour a week job in America would have to resort out of living out of cars/vans. It's like a race to the bottom anymore. The cost of housing is quickly outpacing wages. I remember back in the late 80s/90s if you had a job, any job you could have a basic place to live. Now even that basic place to live is out of reach unless you're a high earner.
The race is over, we have arrived at the bottom. The baby boomers (unless they frittered their boom time money away) are lagging behind and wont see the bottom due to the fact that they had easy to get federal jobs, tier 1 pensions, union pension, etc etc. The only way we can sink further is when the critical infrastructure starts to fail and we dont have clean water or a power grid anymore.

Unless you have already set yourself up or your family has in the past this is where we are. I would not recommend sleeping in a car or truck because most peoples body length will not allow you to comfortably lay down nor can you really attach solar panels and batteries in a car. But a well set up van you can, the key is having a place to get showers, restrooms, etc without having to duck in awkwardly somewhere.

Alot of people are trying to go to the tiny home model but municipalies are quickly responding and making life hell for these people, also if you dont have a plot of land that you own its hard to find a place to set up. the nice thing about a well set up van is it just looks like a van in the parking lot, I would not be surprised if some companies are going to draconian survalence and prohibiting over night parking so you may need to require it as a term of employment if they are not paying enough to cover rent in a decent place for 15-20% of your net income (33% is way too high, just becasue we are being socially conditioned to accept 33% does not mean that its a good deal, rent is not the only bill).

Communities hate it because you dont pay real estate tax, you are not enriching a retiring boomer who bought in at 20k and it selling for 300k, you are not hooked up to any utilities (using work or full service laundry mats for showers and cleaning etc), you might have a cellular bill and thats it.

The only sucky thing would be you cant cook so your food bill would go up, may be worth seeing by how much ... eating out is considerably more expensive than cooking at home, considerably. You could get a propane camp stove or portable grill. The other issue is if you are a professional your going to want a home office that is completely divorced from your employer so you can still conduct business have all your references etc even if the employer decides to deal treterously with you. I would probably deck out one of those low profile 20' trailers, then you could put in an office, a small bathroom etc and tow it with a truck like in the accountant. Those trailers are about 10k and you could do the interiour set up yourself. That way they dont look like "tiny homes" they just look like a utility trailer, its all about what you can obscure from others who seek to fleece you. People abore people living for free/cheap, if they have to pay for the school districts teir 1 pensions then so do you lol.

The only way this gets better is to hit the boomers where it counts in the pocket book, dont buy the over priced home, dont pay the inflated rents, dont pay. Its not your job to fund a boomers retirement with the sale of their home to more to florida or pad the bank account of an appartment building owner.

The biggest thing is you do not want to be leveraged, you want to be able to just walk away from an out of control supervisor, if he fires you so what you drive away to the next job, your only bills are gas and car insurance, maybe a cell phone bill and tools of your trade.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 10-12-2017 at 03:24 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,125,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Uh... I've been living in a minivan for 2 years now... I got money, but it sucks that a 1 bdr in Chicago costs typically $1200 or more nowadays... That is STUPID!

So I sink my money into lots of others stuff besides RENT, because RENT SUCKS.

And I've survived 12F degree blizzards sleeping in my minivan. Plus, I CAN LIVE ANYWHERE.

I will publish an ebook on how I live in a minivan! And how you can make one livable, too!

Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Uh... I've been living in a minivan for 2 years now... I got money, but it sucks that a 1 bdr in Chicago costs typically $1200 or more nowadays... That is STUPID!
!

$1200 is super affordable for a city the quality of Chicago, really. I had roommates when living there, and lots of people have roommates in their 30s and even 40s in pricey areas.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,125,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
$1200 is super affordable for a city the quality of Chicago, really. I had roommates when living there, and lots of people have roommates in their 30s and even 40s in pricey areas.
My Mom, on her Deathbed, - warned me not to live in an Apt with roommates. I tried that twice and it was extremely bad luck. The last Roomie was in fact maybe the Head Coven Witch of Berwyn, so after that, it's the VAN rather than sharing a room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment