Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,771,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Aside from the fact they gave you less than two weeks notice, unless travel is directly in your job description, you can get out of going.
Unless it's a union rule or there is some federal law regarding disabilities and reasonable accommodation that applies, I don't think there is a requirement (at least in employment at will states) that an employer give an employee two weeks notice or that travel be in a job description. If travel is required and the employee doesn't want to go, the employee can quit or contend with the consequences of a refusal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:06 PM

666 posts, read 644,578 times
Yes, declining to carry out duties at your job on account of dogs looks bad.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:16 PM

626 posts, read 627,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes you can and should.

Aside from the fact they gave you less than two weeks notice, unless travel is directly in your job description, you can get out of going.
She can get out of going using that excuse no problem. But more than likely won't be asked again and more than likely forced out or overlooked for promotions.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
This is such a funny thread. Can you imagine your dad back in the day telling his boss he can't go on a business trip because he has "social anxiety" and his dogs need their arthritis medication?

What a world!

Old 10-04-2017, 01:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I was asked by my manager to go in a tour at a vendor. I was asked today for Oct 14-17th. It’s a 5 hour drive where I have to drive with someone I don’t know. I don’t want to go but will it look bad if I decline? I said my husband might be out of town (which isn’t true) so I need to be home for the dog but I’d let him know ASAP. Ugh. I feel so upset about this.
Being a yes person does not get you as far as anybody thinks it does.

I say yes to any assignment that is thrown my way, including those that require me to travel, stay overnight at a foreign location, do things that are 'below my level' and do things I generally do not want to do.

Other people turn down assignments left and right because it will take them away from their kids, spouses, or dogs, or because it is below their level or because they flat out just do not want to do that type of thing.

And they have as much standing or higher.

One thing is they are much socially tighter with the power that be.

The other thing is they project the 'I'm above doing that' mentality which is actually quite respected in the workplace for a number of reasons.

In a nutshell...

If the task is something that can be done by someone of an equal level or lower and you have a good social rapport with management, it won't hurt you at all. I almost guarantee it.

If on the other hand, it is something that is seen as something that will 'progress your career' and you turn it down ... not good for, well, progressing your career. If you care about that sort of thing.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:40 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,109,898 times
Oh no, OP. Don't tell me you used the DOG as an excuse...LOL!!!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:19 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I was asked by my manager to go in a tour at a vendor. I was asked today for Oct 14-17th. It’s a 5 hour drive where I have to drive with someone I don’t know. I don’t want to go but will it look bad if I decline? I said my husband might be out of town (which isn’t true) so I need to be home for the dog but I’d let him know ASAP. Ugh. I feel so upset about this.
You already complain about your job all day, it certainly won't get any better if you don't do the things people do to get ahead.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This is such a funny thread. Can you imagine your dad back in the day telling his boss he can't go on a business trip because he has "social anxiety" and his dogs need their arthritis medication?

What a world!
Exactly. It's insane.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,406,534 times
Very unprofessional to turn down something like this - didn't you expect travel based on your job description and what your coworkers do? You may "get away with it" but your boss will NOT be impressed - so don't have any expectations of promotions:

Less qualified person gets the job

Old 10-04-2017, 03:41 PM

540 posts, read 1,098,053 times
Maybe the managers/coworkers just want to get her out of the office so they won't have to listen to yet more complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment