Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,407,826 times

Advertisements

I dont like retail work because they are McJobs for very low pay but I am always nice to the employees and I dont wanna work strange and long hours/weekends and holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.I used to work retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
They all think it's for kids and flunkies.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
I love retail work because I crave being around the public every day, even when they are cranky. Yes, it's blue collar work, but it's an honest day's work. I feel I am successful because I am in a line of work that I really enjoy. I would rather make $10 an hour and be happy than make $50 an hour and be miserable.
That's great! Heaven knows retail workers like you are needed, who can deal with the public even when they're cranky! OP, you have a calling! That's very cool. It's not the job itself that confers worth and dignity; it's what you bring to the job. You go, girl!

BTW, there are different types of retail work. Some involves doing light bookkeeping or data entry. That pays more. If you can learn Microsoft Office programs like Excel (if you haven't already), you might eventually be able to find a job that combines your love of serving the public with some light office functions, and move up to $12-$15/hr. Your local community college will offer courses in Microsoft Office.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 PM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
How many people want to keep working wierd hours for a really long time?
Lots of people, including me! My profession has "weird" hours as well, and I'm always the FIRST to volunteer for nights and weekends... no traffic on my commutes, get to sleep late, and easier to get stuff done on my weekdays off (since everyone else is doing their stuff on weekends). My only complaint is not getting 2 consecutive days off, since I alternate between Fri/Mon and Sat/Mon as my off days. Anyway, I understand I'm in the minority, but you asked.

As for retail work, I did it for a short time in college, and hated it. Why? Mostly because I have severe arthritis (since childhood), and couldn't handle being on my feet all day - plus the constant bending/kneeling, etc. I enjoyed the interaction with customers, though, so it was purely a physical thing in my case. And now it would be a matter of pay, since I earn $40/hr doing something I love.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Lots of people, including me! My profession has "weird" hours as well, and I'm always the FIRST to volunteer for nights and weekends... no traffic on my commutes, get to sleep late, and easier to get stuff done on my weekdays off (since everyone else is doing their stuff on weekends). My only complaint is not getting 2 consecutive days off, since I alternate between Fri/Mon and Sat/Mon as my off days. Anyway, I understand I'm in the minority, but you asked.

As for retail work, I did it for a short time in college, and hated it. Why? Mostly because I have severe arthritis (since childhood), and couldn't handle being on my feet all day - plus the constant bending/kneeling, etc. I enjoyed the interaction with customers, though, so it was purely a physical thing in my case. And now it would be a matter of pay, since I earn $40/hr doing something I love.
Yeah, I don't see why not having conventional weekends off would be a problem, except maybe occasionally missing a special event. The important thing is to get 2 days off in a row, whichever 2 days they are. I like having a mid-week "weekend", because there are no crowds, and things are quieter. I have stores to myself, when I run errands.

I don't think I'd like having to stand for hours at a time, day after day, though. In Europe cashiers have seats to sit on at the cash registers. I don't know why we don't have that in the US.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Thats good as long as you like it and dont mind.

I personally dont mind working with the public and customers it never bugs me.
Working with Customers is very sastisfying but yea the problem with working in retail has always been the hours and work schedule. The pay was also a problem somewhat but more importantly the hoirs

I like to stick to the regular M-F 9 to 5 work schedule

At least working in a Regular IT Corporate/ School Help desk job its generally 9 to 5 and the customers are great and you get some mad ones but difussing them is also a great challenge

Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I don't see why not having conventional weekends off would be a problem, except maybe occasionally missing a special event. The important thing is to get 2 days off in a row, whichever 2 days they are. I like having a mid-week "weekend", because there are no crowds, and things are quieter. I have stores to myself, when I run errands.

I don't think I'd like having to stand for hours at a time, day after day, though. In Europe cashiers have seats to sit on at the cash registers. I don't know why we don't have that in the US.
For a lot of people predictable weekends off is important( family time, dates, special events, parties, social life etc)

Makes planning a social life easy i suppose traffic does suck at 5pm as thats a given but there are always trade offs

My family and gf also have that schedule but yea if one of us didnt have a match schedule it be pretty difficult to spend time together.

Say i have saturday and sunday off and my gf then had wes and thru off.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,059,919 times
The pay is horrible. Part time. No benefits. No paid time off. The hours are horrible and you always have to work weekends and holidays. And did I say the pay is horrible??? And it's hard work. A few years of that and your feet and legs are ruined.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 PM

417 posts, read 446,023 times
I think there is nothing wrong with the work itself. It's just the lousy hours, and the $7.25 an hour wage in most states. It's extremely hard to survive on that salary.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Boring, menial work
Crappy pay
Terrible hours

Upside is it's generally very easy work, comfortable environment, not physically demanding.

I mean, it's just not going to get much respect from either side, really. As an office workers, I like that there's some intellectual challenge to my job and far more variety than there is in retail. I've worked retail and it's just boring to me. If it paid what my job pays I still wouldn't do it. Sure, there's less stress and my job, like any job, can be boring and repetitive but not nearly to the same extent that retail work is.

Coming at it from the other end I've worked some jobs that are more hands on and physically demanding. Working in a warehouse sucks as well. I'd do retail over warehouse work but if you want to talk about why most blue collar workers don't have that much respect it's because most blue collar jobs are harder than retail. Standing around ringing up customers, occasionally stocking shelves or sweeping aisles is easy work. If you think it's not, go work in a warehouse or painting houses. I've done all three. Retail is by far the easiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment