Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM

115 posts, read 82,725 times

Advertisements

I dont diss retail work. I just think it is tough to stay with it when you reach a certain point in life. I worked retail from 16 until I was about 25 years old. I was able to make good money for my age, no children, not married, etc. I used to see some "senior" guys out there with us in the store and I always wondered how some of them lasted. I remember one guy I knew was a retail store rep for like 12 years, older guy in his late 40s? The work was fairly straightforward which I miss. However, as mentioned by others I was always missing from events and gatherings with family and friends because I was at work. Somehow I always ended up working the least desirable shifts at every store I worked, closing every night, and working all day saturday and sunday. The worst part really was at some point I did try to move up within some of the stores that I worked but I encountered a lot of favoritism from management. Many times I was not taken seriously when I asked about promotions despite being hands down the most knowledgeable and able person in the building. Lots of empty promises from store managers about how they were going to work me in somehow. Working hard and treating the customers well did absolutely nothing for me and my work was never really recognized by the right people. I was able to get one small raise after over 3 years of work with one store. The only reason I got it was because my former supervisor became GM and he took care of me. Eventually I got fed up and quit, moved on to a job in the automotive industry that then led to where I work now. At this point I would entertain the idea of going back to retail for some sort of area management role for the right money but I have yet to find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 05:06 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,044,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
Personally, I diss retail work because I have done it and hated it.
Having an assigned task list and not being able to start, let along finish it, because someone needs access to a fitting room or restroom, or wants to see every single item in the jewelry counter(yes, where I work keeps the restrooms and fitting rooms locked - high theft rate). Plus people disrespect our place - leaving entire shopping carts full of merchandise behind because they 'changed their mind', leaving empty plastic or cardboard drink containers everywhere when they are finished with the coffee, soda, or other beverage they brought in, mess up shelves of housewares, electronics, and nick-nacks. Associates who come aboard all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, then quit before the ink on their application dries because they can't hack it. Yeah, I can certify that retail indeed SUCKS.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 PM

855 posts, read 625,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Plus people disrespect our place - leaving entire shopping carts full of merchandise behind because they 'changed their mind', leaving empty plastic or cardboard drink containers everywhere when they are finished with the coffee, soda, or other beverage they brought in, mess up shelves of housewares, electronics, and nick-nacks.
Now this is something I've never understood.

As a customer, I would always put things back where I found them if I
decided I didn't need them. I was taught that you put things back where
you found them. It's Existence 101.

But so often I'll see perishable food left out at room temperature just
because someone decided they didn't want it. Or they'll hand it to the
cashier saying they don't want it. Why not put it back before coming to the
register? Now it runs the risk of not getting returned to the cold section in
a timely manner, depending on how busy people are serving other
customers.

-

Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 PM

86 posts, read 73,765 times
Beautifully put! I always enjoyed working retail. I really hope this whole 'internet shopping' phase will end in the near future. There is something about having that shopping experience. Don't people want to smell the fresh bread from the bakery? Touch the soft clothes on the rack while listening to laid-back music? The mall can bring so many people together. I see such a variety. I enjoy it. Maybe people will become nostalgic about it and go back to the shopping centers. Hopefully, this break from customers will give retailers a chance to hone their customer service skills. Maybe they will not take certain customers for granted.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,044,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Now this is something I've never understood.

As a customer, I would always put things back where I found them if I
decided I didn't need them. I was taught that you put things back where
you found them. It's Existence 101.

But so often I'll see perishable food left out at room temperature just
because someone decided they didn't want it. Or they'll hand it to the
cashier saying they don't want it. Why not put it back before coming to the
register? Now it runs the risk of not getting returned to the cold section in
a timely manner, depending on how busy people are serving other
customers.

-

And perhaps we could ban food and drink from being brought into store by customers. Tired of finding a half-drank Starbucks cup on a shelf in one section, then a McDonalds soda three aisles over. Second hand retail deserves the same respect as new retail.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderLipstickBlues View Post
Beautifully put! I always enjoyed working retail. I really hope this whole 'internet shopping' phase will end in the near future. There is something about having that shopping experience. Don't people want to smell the fresh bread from the bakery? Touch the soft clothes on the rack while listening to laid-back music? The mall can bring so many people together. I see such a variety. I enjoy it. Maybe people will become nostalgic about it and go back to the shopping centers. Hopefully, this break from customers will give retailers a chance to hone their customer service skills. Maybe they will not take certain customers for granted.

I don't see brick and mortar retail going away entirely. In my area they just built a whole new open air "lifestyle" mall with a lot of stores. It is absolutely packed on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment