Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,781,431 times

Advertisements

Retail work is low pay, has no opportunities for advancement, and has no benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,032,880 times
There will be no retail work in 10-15 years. You order from Amazon and thats it. Life is Amazon and they might as well name Bezos Lord of the world.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,295,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Who are you to say what someone else should pay to get a certain job done? What's wrong with it is no employer wants to pay that much for that kind of work. The fact is that what the employer is willing to pay for this kind of work is not enough to live on. The employer offers what it is worth to him and it's up to someone else to accept or not. The problem is that people accept it and then whine about it and depend upon welfare (funded by my taxes) to get by.

You make the same decision in your everyday spending. You decide what a product or service is worth TO YOU. How much the other party wants or needs is not a factor. Let's say you want someone to wash and wax your car. You're willing to pay $10. It isn't your concern if that is enough for someone else to live well or not. You offer $10. If no one accepts you can offer more, do it yourself, or let it go undone. If someone accepts, they do the work and you pay the money.
What is wrong is when employers do not pay their employees enough to live on not only does that cause stress and worry for the employee which may cause homelessness but cause us taxpayers to make up for the low wages the employers pay. No the employer pays what ever they want to it has nothing to do with worth because there is no standard for job worth if there is show me the jobs and worth. People accept it because they can not afford to go to school are not smart enough to do more then basic jobs. It is not a concern to people who are selfish and only care about themselves or people who can help them.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:46 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,295,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Fair as in the equilibrium point between supply and demand
You do know that the equilibrium point between supply and demand refers to products businesses are selling and if customers are buying it it has nothing to do with wages. If it did there would be a lot of supply but little demand because people would not make enough to buy the products being sold.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:14 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,078,663 times
You honestly crave being around the public each day? By contrast, I can tolerate it one day out of every three or four--and that's an improvement over how I was in the past. We are different people

Old 08-29-2017, 02:14 AM

34,319 posts, read 17,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You do know that the equilibrium point between supply and demand refers to products businesses are selling and if customers are buying it it has nothing to do with wages. If it did there would be a lot of supply but little demand because people would not make enough to buy the products being sold.
News Flash: Labor is a product. When you apply for work, that is what you are selling. When a corp hires, labor is the product they buy.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:05 AM

13,017 posts, read 19,036,185 times
Almost anyone can do it so it pays next to nothing. It doesn't have the features that increase the pay such as danger (coal mining, commercial fishing), dirty (garbage collection, construction), specialized knowledge (nursing, teaching), or civil service protection (letter carrying). But on the other hand, it still pays better than multilevel marketing.

We can only hope the retail jobs that disappear are replaced with better ones. It happened when agricultural work was supplanted by industrial. But that's a subject for another thread.

Last edited by pvande55; 08-29-2017 at 04:15 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,966,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Almost anyone can do it so it pays next to nothing. It doesn't have the features that increase the pay such as danger (coal mining, commercial fishing), dirty (garbage collection, construction), specialized knowledge (nursing, teaching), or civil service protection (letter carrying). But on the other hand, it still pays better than multilevel marketing.

We can only hope the retail jobs that disappear are replaced with better ones. It happened when agricultural work was supplanted by industrial. But that's a subject for another thread.

They will have to get computer science degrees and work in tech I suppose.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:11 AM

106 posts, read 130,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You honestly crave being around the public each day? By contrast, I can tolerate it one day out of every three or four--and that's an improvement over how I was in the past. We are different people
I have mild autism (diagnosed by a professional), so I am at the other extreme of socialization. I actually languish if I am not around people every day.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,076,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Because it sucks ass . I like people and love working with people. But working in retail. Hell no.
Who determines what kind of job sucks? I work as an optician, which is an odd combination of medical and retail. I used to work in ophthalmology, which was strictly medical, but I like optical better, even though I always have to work Saturdays and it pays a lot less. It is lower pressure and I don't have to go into surgery, which was deadly dull for me. I would hand the surgeon instruments, watch paint dry, freeze my butt off, and watch the clock as the minutes ticked by. With optical, I work with the public, but they usually don't have eye diseases so they are in a better mood. I would hate factory work, a job in which I have to bring work home with me, a very physical job, or a job in which I am on call. It depends on the individual and what they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment