Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,479,782 times

Advertisements

I think unions are part of the problem here by demanding wages that force companies to seek cheaper help elsewhere. Also overinflated upper management salaries, which force the little guys at the bottom to work hard to carry those salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 AM

973 posts, read 925,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Amen to that.

I kick a$$ at my job. I'm extremely good at it. Doesn't do me any good, however, when south Asian hiring managers don't even look at my resume because of the name at the top.
Understand that this is pervasive to other ethnicities as well. Even people born in the US with a "non-White" sounding last name have their resumes thrown in the trash just because the employer is afraid that the prospect cannot speak English well.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:32 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,836,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think unions are part of the problem here by demanding wages that force companies to seek cheaper help elsewhere. Also overinflated upper management salaries, which force the little guys at the bottom to work hard to carry those salaries.
The industries most impacted H-1Bs aren't heavily unionized anyway.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,123,152 times
This is a PR stunt because the President' S company still hires immigrants and offshores business.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Understand that this is pervasive to other ethnicities as well. Even people born in the US with a "non-White" sounding last name have their resumes thrown in the trash just because the employer is afraid that the prospect cannot speak English well.
I've heard of this as well, which is borne out by the relative lack of black and Hispanic workers in I.T.

The company I currently work for may have its issues, but it has more black and Hispanic people at all levels of the I.T. organization than any that I've ever seen. There's better diversity in terms of gender and age as well.

I personally would not hesitate to interview Rashon, La Tonya, Juan, or Maria if they had great resumes.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,925,315 times
CBS did a special on H-1B Visa and went to India, it's amazing that all the big American companies have recruitment center in India and offering positions in US once these college students complete their degree and they will be brought into training center and then if they do well they will get a chance to apply for visa to go to US. Everyone there is hoping to go to US for a chance to relocate.

My problem is the American companies are not giving American college students any chance at all. You have some recruiters go to college and look for creme of the crop students from top schools. If you go to an average school you're SOL.

Many college grads working various gigs are in their early to mid 30s still waiting for a proper full-time job with benefits. While these Indians students are being fast-tracked over to US to take over American jobs.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,925,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've explained this issue to people repeatedly and it often ends in one of two ways:

1.) I'm called a "racist" for not laying down and letting the H1B bus roll right over me

2.) I'm accused of not being able to "keep up" with my more "highly skilled" peers

The view down here in the trenches is very very different.

I was once let go from a contract for unwittingly blowing the whistle on some contractor fraud perpetrated by TCS. Kickbacks and backscratching in these situations is common. I unveiled outright fraud...so I had to go.

I was at another company that terminated its contract with TCS after its contractors could not produce working prototypes after six months of surfing the web and talking on their phones all day long.

At another company, our director brought in a team of about 30 H1Bs to create a data warehouse. It took them a year to build a product that was not fit for purpose and riddled with coding errors, accuracy issues, and even spelling errors on columns. It should have taken a fraction of that time. In the end, I had to build a supplemental ODS to fill in the huge gaps their DW solution left. It took me a week start to finish, and half of that time was spent arguing with higher-ups that the ODS was even necessary (it was).

At my last company, our H1Bs regularly stole code and passed it off as their own. I recognized my own code in one of their scripts. The author had incorrectly implemented the solution and managed to thoroughly hose the QA environment (QA = H1Bs/H4s & asleep at the wheel). It took an American to notice it and another American (me) about an hour to fix it. The H1Bs & H4s were only interested in inflating their job titles. They did the bare-a$$ed minimum when it came to their jobs, and sometimes they didn't even do that. They left huge messes in various environments that other people had to come in and clean up. They were never in any danger of losing their jobs over it, either.

My experiences with these "highly skilled" immigrants have been mostly negative. For every H1B I've met who was genuinely talented, intelligent, and deserved a good future in I.T., I can count probably 100 who weren't...and don't.

They're low-level job-stealing code monkeys who need hand-holding to do even the most basic tasks. They do only precisely what they're told...nothing more. They do not share information and are not proactive when they see a problem. They take twice as long to do half as much work. Their output is usually a disaster and people like me, if we're lucky, get to come in and clean up the mess. The task is usually monumental. IT managers...asleep at the wheel. They're "saving money."

(And before anyone gets bent about the term "code monkeys": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_monkey )
Most sites that uses H-1B tech workers like those using TCS, IBM, or WinPro staffing. They're sending a bunch of recent Indian college students with no technology background. They receive training on how to fit into American workplace. They're told basically to shadow American workers who will soon be let go if they can take ownership of their responsibilities.

Many of them spend most of the day hanging out with others, surfing the web, and not really working. While most Americans are in meetings and trying to map out projects and doing support. Management had plans for these workers to transition into the various team but most US workers are resisting to giving them training and some just quit once they had a new gig. So often consultants are brought into fill the gap.

So someone like Zuckerberg said we need to find the best and brightest people out there. None of these H-1Bs are even close to the best in the industry. They are the cheapest that's about it.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,048,060 times
Unions never seem to be a huge issue before like they are now. I think its executives GREED today that is the real problem here.

Greed is a bigger problem than unions will ever be. Rich Business people never seem to satisfied no matter how much money they make. Even if they have enough to last multiple lifetimes. Its sickening. A disease. No different than being a drug addict.

If rich people weren't so damn greedy we would have never had these problems to begin with

Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM

12,021 posts, read 11,705,807 times
Computer programmers may no longer be eligible for H-1B visas

https://www.axios.com/computer-progr...342531251.html

They're starting to examine the IT outsourcing companies that are merely acting as shell companies for H1b workers. They may look at the L1 visa abuse. These Indian IT firms can bring in people from their domestic subsidiaries and work them here while they're supposed to be in training.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM

13,177 posts, read 21,306,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Computer programmers may no longer be eligible for H-1B visas

https://www.axios.com/computer-progr...342531251.html

They're starting to examine the IT outsourcing companies that are merely acting as shell companies for H1b workers. They may look at the L1 visa abuse. These Indian IT firms can bring in people from their domestic subsidiaries and work them here while they're supposed to be in training.
Ahh, that was the basis for the EO. Prior to the EO, there was a legal concern that modifying and revising the rules was illegal without any legal basis (authority) to do so. Kinda like the IRS deciding to change the filing status categories as of today for all returns already submitted but without he IRS having the legal authority to do so. The EO just signed was the authority needed to do the study. Remember, the current administration often acts without authority and has to step back and re-do it legally. That is what just happened. The article you linked came before and I believe it even mentioned possible legal problems over it. Now, with the EO, they can go ahead and examine all this. However, the changes are not changes but an examination of possible changes without really changing anything if it means changing the campaign contributions of those opposed to the changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment