Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 03:17 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,227,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Show me where it says in the US Constitution that any American citizen has a right to a job?
In the preamble Vinny, where it talks about domestic tranquility and general welfare. Pat Buchanan called what American corporations are doing to the American middle class "economic treason".

Carly Fiorina said something similar to what you did. She ended up unemployed and ran for a job that highly competent people seem to be avoiding like the plague. Aren't you happy that you are anonymous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,122,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
First, discussions over the H1B Visa program is so full of distortions, false beliefs, lies, misunderstanding, protectionism and a heaping dose of political bias that lots of what is said about the program isn't actual reality. Example, if you look at the 2015 BLS report, there were over six million people in the USA employed in the non retail or government computer technology industry, yet the H1B visa numbers for that industry represents a single digit percentage. If you believe what is written here on CD, you would think 75% of the computer industry workforce is H1B visa holders.

When audits are conducted, the vast majority of H1B visa holders are working in specialized skills and are paid at or above prevailing wages. There will always be some fraudulent activities and those are what is often repeated over and over and over until 3 people have turned into 30,000. Ironically the majority of case where pay is below prevailing wages is in the education arena. The H1B visa holder teaching Americans technology subjects are underpaid compared to their american counterparts. This is also a problem in the medical field. But what we seem to always hear about is in the technology fields. I would venture to say that if everyone who claimed to know a H1B visa holder that is fraudulent, there would be more H1B visa holder than the total population of the USA.

And, the main reason this subject will never be resolved is nobody wants it resolved. The ugly reality is way too many Americans lack the skills and determination to do the best job. Americans are essentially a lazy lot of idiots. They believe themselves to be god's gift to their field. Most can't hold a candle to the knowledge of many foreigners. So, H1B visa holder become their convenient and socially acceptably reason for working at the electronics counter at Walmart. It is so much easier to blame others for a person failures than for that person to face their own short comings.
We will never know beyond our own anecdotes because under employment is not rigorously tracked and even if it were there is no way we have the political will to do anything about it, at least right now.

I have a VERY hard time believing that the entirety of US citizens are a bunch of lazy dolts. Also if we cant hold a candle to forigners then why does everyone flock from around the world to go to places like MIT and Johns Hoppkins amoung many others ... unless when you refer to "forigners" you are referring to modern day german rocket scientists coming over, techncailly germans are "forigners" but they are not the forigners that are the problem.

I also think its not just a "good jobs" issue but grossly over inflated commodities and real estate costs which are driving peoples need for ever increasing wages just to keep up. This is probably actually the majority issue. I mean I could work for $8/hr if a new car was 5k a single family home was 50k etc. And no not some slum lord intellectually dishonest employers dystopian view of slummy row houses but a nice single family home with trees etc.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:02 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have a VERY hard time believing that the entirety of US citizens are a bunch of lazy dolts. .
It's an obvious lie, but it's perpetuated by American employers for many years, that they "can't find technical people". This was their excuse to hire people from other countries so they could pay them far lower salaries.

It is true that Americans have come to expect benefits from jobs, but eventually, immigrants will also become accustomed to those benefits and advantages, and expect them as well.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It's an obvious lie, but it's perpetuated by American employers for many years, that they "can't find technical people". This was their excuse to hire people from other countries so they could pay them far lower salaries.

It is true that Americans have come to expect benefits from jobs, but eventually, immigrants will also become accustomed to those benefits and advantages, and expect them as well.
I want to know where these imigrants are living because they are incurring the same COL as everyone else when they come, the reason americans need so much is because everything costs so much, most notably a roof over your head and transportation. Are they just all living in shacks in the ghetto and the company sends a little bus to round them all up?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
I want to know where these imigrants are living because they are incurring the same COL as everyone else when they come, the reason americans need so much is because everything costs so much, most notably a roof over your head and transportation. Are they just all living in shacks in the ghetto and the company sends a little bus to round them all up?
Some of them do, actually! I worked a contract in Dallas alongside a bunch of Indian contractors from TCS (Tata) and many of them lived in ghetto apartments, 3-4 per 2 bedroom apartment, within walking distance because none of them owned cars.

They were also terrible developers...worst I've ever seen. Stay faaaaaaaaaar away from TCS. (I worked at another company that severed its relationship with TCS for the same reason.)

Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM

589 posts, read 381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some of them do, actually! I worked a contract in Dallas alongside a bunch of Indian contractors from TCS (Tata) and many of them lived in ghetto apartments, 3-4 per 2 bedroom apartment, within walking distance because none of them owned cars.

They were also terrible developers...worst I've ever seen. Stay faaaaaaaaaar away from TCS. (I worked at another company that severed its relationship with TCS for the same reason.)
Ghetto is a relative term dependent on where you came from.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Quote:
The ones that I'm familiar with from big outsourcing shops sponsors them and then takes their paychecks and only pay them whatever is negotiated outside and not what the clients paid. None of these agencies are sponsoring the worker for free. This is the grey area. These workers are offered a temporary place to stay until they find somewhere and given stipends and usually they share housing with others to share costs. A senior worker will be sharing with new worker and providing them with transportation to the workplace. If they do well the client can offer to sponsor and buyout the contract then the worker would be getting the full salary.

I've seen every trick by these Indian outsourcing shops already. It is 21st century slave trade.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
Ghetto is a relative term dependent on where you came from.
I could quantify it if I cared enough to spend the time but every American citizen knows a ghetto when they see it. It is not relative, india has things like the tajmahal etc, they know they are living in ghettos.

So I disagree that it is relative, sure there are worse ghettos than others but I believe that I could quantify a "ghetto line" but I would only do this if the govt paid me too and that line had meaning (ie consequences for companies that had too many employees living below said line).

Old 05-08-2017, 01:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

They come in to surf the Internet even the managers know it but they will be given training soon to take over push button stuff that some poor American developer or worker has to provide or else no package. Often the companies just lie and hire consultant s to siphon the knowledge transfer. Then all US workers will be let go for performance reasons.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:
They do usually live in cheaper places and some don't own a car, like the previous poster said. They aren't being paid much. For example, a job that used to pay 80K a year to an American worker, will give the immigrant worker 40K. To do the same work. I knew a guy from Pakistan who worked in IT, and sent almost all his money home to his family in Pakistan. He slept on a mattress on the floor of a very small apartment. This was a man I dated before I was married; he made it very clear that he would always support his parents financially with most of his salary. That's one reason why I did not proceed with the relationship. I didn't want to give money to his parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment