Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
I am at work.
This sign is not clear, as to its intent, or written correctly; as informative as it should.

As written, it implies one must give their age and have it verified with some sort of identification; regardless of the customer's age. FDA regulations stipulate retailers must verify that the customer is over 18 yrs. of age. But that's not what the sign states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Card everyone. Very simple. Your bosses/owner's business depends on it.

I get a kick out of being carded. I make jokes to put the doormen or bartenders at ease. We have fun with it. Once I got carded in S. Carolina, and pulled out my concealed carry permit instead of my license. The doorman/bouncer said "I need a good look at you. If I need help I'm hollering (my name)!" Every time he walked past our group he yelled it.

It is no big deal, IMO.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If either the law or the employer's policy is to card everyone with no exceptions, then do so. Yes, older people may get upset, but just explain that there is a 'no exception' policy and that you don't want to lose your job. The customer will understand if they're not a screwball.
That someone should even risk jeopardizing their job because of some (let's face it) stupid law implemented by some nameless, faceless individuals - simply because they can - is what intelligent people should be questioning. God, we village plebs are still afraid of the guy with the whip . . .

Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
YES.

It says "ANY tobacco purchaser".

Now it also depends on the company policy and register programming.

One local gas station cards EVERY one even at 90 or 100 years old, another's policy is "if they look like your grandmother {mostly meaning gray haired} you don't have to card them"

Same with restaurants. Some card all and some only card those who don't look like they are over 30 or 40.

But I would card everyone then. CYA {Cover Your A$*}

Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Whether you think it's stupid or not it's not up to an employee to decide which rules they are going to follow. If they don't understand why a policy is in place then ask, if they think they have a better way of doing something suggest it.
It's stupid for them to place their employers and themselves at risk of fines or anything else just because they think they are smarter than the average bear and get to pick and choose which policies to follow.

A an aside our company has a presence in all fifty states, when it comes to things like this the company generally chooses the MOST restrictive state laws and implements them as company wide policy. Because of that the TN liquor law affects ALL of our stores, not just those in TN
And America dumbs down a little more. Why not just hire people who are resourceful enough to use good judgement? Is it because a company with a presence in all fifty states may have to pay more than minimum wage to find people who could actually accomplish such a task and provide better service to the customers at the same time? Or does the company also skimp on management pay and is unable to train workers to use their brains within constraints of the real laws rather than corporate idiocy?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I would argue that anyone born on February 29, 1972 takes 72 conventional years to reach tobacco purchase age since they only have a birthday on leap years. Thus, someone born on February 29, 1972 doesn't hit their 18th birthday until February 29, 2044. Someone born on February 29, 1896 has it even worse; that person would have had to wait until February 29, 1976 to start methodically smoking themselves to death since 1900 wasn't a leap year.

People are just dying to reach that milestone </sarcasm>

Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
I am at work.
Notice that word, 'any'? It means exactly that..ANY one making a tobacco purchase must show their id. It doesn't say,"Have it ready just in case the cashier in on her A game and decides to check it".

So, you need to check the ID of everyone buying tobacco...even if they look 99 and half dead...get the ID.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Just show your damn ID and move on with your life.. It isn't that hard.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Indiana made it a state law a few years ago that everyone had to be carded for tobacco and alcohol no matter what age. There was quite an outrage, for some reason, so they stepped it back and now I think it's anyone that looks under the age of 40. Still, I'm barely under the age of 40 and don't get carded. I feel I should be offended.
I simply don't understand why some people get outraged by this.

Is it THAT big of a deal to show your ID for a few seconds? My god...

Is it the inconvenience of having to go into their wallet to take out their ID? Is it the fact for some, it reinforces them that their old?

Whatever the case may be, get over it. The workers aren't the ones that make the laws/rules, and they're trying to do honest work. Don't take it out on them when they don't even have anything to do with it.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And America dumbs down a little more. Why not just hire people who are resourceful enough to use good judgement? Is it because a company with a presence in all fifty states may have to pay more than minimum wage to find people who could actually accomplish such a task and provide better service to the customers at the same time? Or does the company also skimp on management pay and is unable to train workers to use their brains within constraints of the real laws rather than corporate idiocy?
I don't make the rules, but yeah, it is basically because you aren't going to find a retailer willing to pay much more than the minimum wage to a large part of their front line cashiers. Are you willing to pay higher prices at your grocer and your big box store over something like this?
Time and money invested in training vs asking a customer for an ID which most people carry with them shopping anyway... which do you think a company will opt for in this era of cutting cost to the bare bones?
And as for training, you can only work with what you are given, and at minimum wage sometimes you aren't given much. Thank goodness for broke college students looking for part time work.

Maybe it's just me but I see this thread as more about should a cashier take it upon themselves to go against whatever the company policy is. Arguing whether employees should or should not be empowered to make such decisions is a different topic IMO

Last edited by DubbleT; 02-14-2017 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment