Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,227,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
To the first question, yes it's legal. To the second question, no. Most handbooks have a note that says policies may be updated at any time.

When I hired on with my company, those who worked here for more than 10 years qualified for a pension plan when they retired. Two years ago, that was taken out of the handbook. For those on their 9th year of service, they lost out on the chance at a pension down the road. There is a spot in the handbook that clearly said the company may update policies and procedures with or without notice according to business needs and changing requirements. No one got upset. People were disappointed, but it was never hidden from us that the policies could change.
I worked for a company that most people only worked their long enough to be fully vested in their 401k and then found another job. They had a very high matching rate at the time.

Companies who want to retain good employees dont do things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,612,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Like all benefits, they can change at any time. It's really no different than the annual changes (for the worse) we have had in our medical plans since obamacare. What's written in an offer letter is irrelevant once the offer is accepted and the contents of the letter are in effect, unless the letter stated that those benefits would all remain in effect indefinitely or for some specific period of time. If the terms of your acceptance changed, you are justified in leaving to go elsewhere if you can find something better.
If you're getting Obamacare, that's got nothing to do with your employer.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:01 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,295,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I think the poster is referring to most health plans seeing much higher premiums since Obamacare was enacted.

I always had insurance through my employer, but premiums rose significantly every year after the ACA came to be.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,612,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I think the poster is referring to most health plans seeing much higher premiums since Obamacare was enacted.

I always had insurance through my employer, but premiums rose significantly every year after the ACA came to be.
I've also always had insurance through my employer. My premiums have risen every year from the first President Clinton through Bush and until now. The ACA hasn't made the difference there. Healthcare costs in this country are rising steadily and your insurance will either cover less or cost more every year until there is some major reform like a single payer system or something..

Old 10-31-2016, 12:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Example: Handbook says employees get 15 days at 5 years.
Next year, revised Handbook says employees get 15 days at 8 years.

So employees who were about to receive additional days off now have to wait another three years.

Is this legal? Should the contract of PTO be upheld as the policy that was in place at date of hire?
Wow, that sucks. I think if there is a formal offer letter involved, and it denotes a certain amount of PTO, I would try to use it as leverage.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,562,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow, that sucks. I think if there is a formal offer letter involved, and it denotes a certain amount of PTO, I would try to use it as leverage.
it would also denote how much your pay is... what happens if they stick to that, never giving you raises?

Old 10-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's probably a good time to look around and see if there are other jobs. Cutting PTO for longer-term employees like that means they aren't going to reward loyalty.
Yes, exactly. OP, I'd be actively looking for another job. This company is basically telling their employees they do not care about them.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That poster said their employer-paid medical plan started changing after Obamacare came into play. As have mine; for the worse.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Same here. Until Obamacare, I enjoyed paying the same amount for my health insurance many years in a row.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it would also denote how much your pay is... what happens if they stick to that, never giving you raises?
I'm smarter than that; I rewrote my offer letter to state something like "salary not to be less than $XX,XXX, with yearly raises awarded according to good personnel reviews."

So far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment