Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 AM

30 posts, read 187,810 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

What a great message board! I happened to stumble across it the other day while looking for apartment rentals, and found such a helpful, well-populated board. Anyway, as you can tell from my name, I'll be starting work at the PTO in Alexandria in the fall, and am looking for apartments in the area. Ideally, I'm willing to spend around $1300 for a large studio/1 BR in a safe neighborhood, with easy access to the Metro/walking distance, and after browsing apartment ratings and rent.com, I've narrowed my choices to these.

1) Avalon at Cameron Court
2) Windsor at Arbors
3) Huntington Gateway
4) Stoneridge at Mark Center
5) Townsquare at Millbrook
6) Park at Arlington Ridge (in Arlington)
7) Riverside Apartments
8) Midtown Alexandria across from Huntington Metro Station

I originally rated #3 and #4 as my top choices (based on comments at aprtratings), but after reading some of the posts here, changed my mind because people indicated that the area around Huntington was rather shady.

I've heard some awful things about the Riverside Apartments, but they seem to only pertain to their older apartments. Not sure if their newer, renovated units might be better.

Lastly, some other posters recommended looking at Craigslist. There's a new highrise, called Midtown Alexandria, being built just next to the Huntington Metro Station, and some of their introductory prices are fairly reasonable (assuming they don't raise prices significantly at the end of my lease.)

I'm temporarily staying at home, but it's a 1 hour commute by metro, one way, from Rockville, MD.

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 PM

42 posts, read 280,786 times
The big advantage of living in the Huntington area would be proximity to the Yellow Line--easy commute to work and elsewhere, plus the PTO should subsidize your transit while you'll have to pay for a parking spot if you drive from the other places.

I think all the places you mentioned are in areas that are a little bit sketchy, but none of them are war zones, and the safety/crime aspect probably depends a lot on the specific building. If you're really worried about that, I would also look at the places in the Carlyle area near the PTO (Meridian and Post)--they are a little more expensive than you're looking for, but not terrible, and it'll be a 5 minute walk to work, 5 minute walk to the King Street Metro, 10 minute walk to Old Town.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM

30 posts, read 187,810 times
Thanks alexandrian. I'm coming from central Jersey, and I've never had my car broken into there, so I'm a bit worried when I read stories of folks on this board who have had their cars vandalized.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoguy View Post
Thanks alexandrian. I'm coming from central Jersey, and I've never had my car broken into there, so I'm a bit worried when I read stories of folks on this board who have had their cars vandalized.
Hi,

I'm also coming from central New Jersey. Do you know if there are buses runing that stop in New Jersey?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexplorer View Post
Hi,

I'm also coming from central New Jersey. Do you know if there are buses runing that stop in New Jersey?
I would imagine that Greyhound has some stations in Jersey. You'll probably have to stop in Philly and Baltimore on the way.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I'm a homeowner, but have you checked out Foxchase Apartments? They appear to be well maintained and it's a safe area w/great access.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
I have friends in Foxchase who work in Old Town (they love it, and it's pretty reasonably-priced) and in the Park at Arlington Ridge (they also really like it, although it's a little further from the PTO). Between those two, you get more for your money at Foxchase (2-level, 2bed/2.5 bath for less than a small 2bed/1bath), since Arlington Ridge's draw is proximity to Crystal City and Pentagon City.

Check out places in Carlyle and also those near the Eisenhower metro (another Meridien, and others), as these are a little cheaper and are literally just on the other side of Carlyle.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
I lived at the Park at Arlington Ridge for a while:

pros:
-great neighborhood
-quiet
-garden style
-lots of nice walks through the neighborhoods of great houses (up on the hill)
-not much through traffic
-shuttle to metro with good schedules
- safe
-since it is a wooded neighborhood, you feel like you're way out in the burbs even though you live really close to some dense metro areas

cons:
- low weight limit on dogs (for us, our dog was too big to move back there or we would have)
-not many stores or shops within quick walk
- can't walk to metro so you have to catch the shuttle

Car theft seems to be lower here than other big cities where I have lived. The biggest problem (as you find elsewhere) is theft of consumer electronics or maybe vandalism.

I've had a flashy car (modded WRX) and a modded Jeep (currently) and lived in 4 different complexes in NOVA (including a rough one in Woodbridge and 3 in Arlington/Alexandria). No problems with the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia