Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:27 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Hello -- if you really look at the rule (from what I understand) it says card people who LOOK under 40. That's subjective. So first of all the rule shouldn't even be written that way. What kind of BS is that?... whether you LOOK under a certain age?

You COULD argue, "this person didn't look under 40." They could say well "how could this person NOT look under 40." And it's only you versus them, "Well to ME s/he didn't look under 40." That's a crappy position to be in -- especially when you're the worker peon and the other person is the boss with all the power. And add to that YOU are still on probation. Your coworkers are not.

At least through that period, I would follow the rule. You have one arse to cover for now -- and that's yours.
That's not the problem stated by the OP. The OP has said that he is doing the job well enough to please his boss. His boss is happy with his judgment.

The OP is upset because some of the people who look under 40 to him are complaining about being carded because they are over 21. IOW, their ire is, "Don't I look over 21 to you?"

But the OP isn't required to judge whether they look over 21, he's required to judge whether they look under 40...and his boss is happy with his judgment so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Hello -- if you really look at the rule (from what I understand) it says card people who LOOK under 40. That's subjective. So first of all the rule shouldn't even be written that way. What kind of BS is that?... whether you LOOK under a certain age?

You COULD argue, "this person didn't look under 40." They could say well "how could this person NOT look under 40." And it's only you versus them, "Well to ME s/he didn't look under 40." That's a crappy position to be in -- especially when you're the worker peon and the other person is the boss with all the power. And add to that YOU are still on probation. Your coworkers are not.

At least through that period, I would follow the rule. You have one arse to cover for now -- and that's yours.

Common sense should tell you that you don't know their age until you check their ID, so you have to make a judgment call based on how old they look. I don't know of another way they could write the rule.

Even if you made a bad judgment call and someone was really in their early 30's you're still in the clear. It would be rare to find someone who was under 21 who looked over 40. 40's a safety net.

OP, I rarely get carded but my wife does and she is a year older than me (34 & 35). Some servers seem to make a game of it. Male servers usually ask my wife for her ID and she replies with "Can't you tell I'm nowhere near 21?" Their replies are usually along the lines of "You don't really look a day over 20 so we just need to be sure." I get a good chuckle and she is flattered and we've never gotten mad about it. Sometimes she will even leave them a bigger tip.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:

If I ran a store or restaurant, I'd card everyone. My mother gets carded and looks maybe 50 tops but is 62 and getting social security since she worked for the federal government.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
As a 'mature woman' getting carded is a complement.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'm with the OP, who should follow the rule.

Unless the co-workers get upset enough to actually gas light the OP, and proactively undermine him or her, the I'd stand by going by the rules. And move on. You're there to do a job.

Perhaps talk to the boss about it and make sure you doing it correctly. but other than that, the co-workers can go acre themselves. The customers can get made all they want. If they leave without buying they were likely underage. If not they were upset but sit made their purchase -- so so what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment