Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM

684 posts, read 514,631 times

Advertisements

When to break the rules at work?

Where is Hillary when you need her expertise the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:16 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airseabattle View Post
Please help me. I just landed my dream job. I wanted to shine and started off strong. But now I'm scared that I might not make it past the 3 month probationary period and the reason is that some customers get upset when I follow the rules to a T. I do exactly as managers tell me and refuse to deviate for fear of getting in trouble. My obsessive rule following is getting to the point that some of my coworkers hate me. They say following everything to a T is stupid because it's not practical and I just draw attention to myself by being so did his. Overall I'm liked but some find my rule following annoying. My question is, is it ok to break the rules a bit just so I can avoid making others mad? This isn't a joke of troll question ( though I wish it were)
After you are in the company for a bit you know what rules to bend, which ones to break, and which ones to follow to a T. If they are health and safety related, or regulatory/legal related, not following them can get you fired or put in prison. At the same time their are other stupid rules that can be ignored.
"Rules" (policies, procedures, work instructions) should also be documented, are these documented policies you are referring to or just some unwritten instructions?

And to this person that said - "if they followed ALL the safety checks for a plane,it would never leave the ground", ignore that person, that is not a saying to live by. My father was a pilot, forgetful as any person alive. But you better damn believe he followed all safety checks for a commercial aircraft.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
You may the scapegoat at your job. The sacrificial lamb. Dust the resume off soon.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 PM

62 posts, read 52,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
we need more information.. what industry are you in and what type of rules are people getting upset about you not following? examples would clearly help us help you in this situation..thanks
I'm in the hospitality industry and because they had so many issues with serving minors in the past, they are very strict that we card everyone who looks under 40. That's pretty much everyone that doesn't obviously look old. My managers told me to be super strict with it.. But is annoying for guests because almost all are of age and hate showing their ids.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
You may the scapegoat at your job. The sacrificial lamb. Dust the resume off soon.
Scapegoat for whom? I don't even get in trouble at work. To my face, management always praises me but the long time employees get annoyed by me. Not to say that maybe managment hates me secretly?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
After you are in the company for a bit you know what rules to bend, which ones to break, and which ones to follow to a T. If they are health and safety related, or regulatory/legal related, not following them can get you fired or put in prison. At the same time their are other stupid rules that can be ignored.
"Rules" (policies, procedures, work instructions) should also be documented, are these documented policies you are referring to or just some unwritten instructions?

And to this person that said - "if they followed ALL the safety checks for a plane,it would never leave the ground", ignore that person, that is not a saying to live by. My father was a pilot, forgetful as any person alive. But you better damn believe he followed all safety checks for a commercial aircraft.
Hello. Yes, we were given a memo that specifically says you must card anyone who appears to you to look under 40. To me a lot of people could be under 40 though... I've seen people who look very old turn out to be underage

Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
When to break the rules at work?

Where is Hillary when you need her expertise the most?
Omg! Hahah funniest thing I've read all day

Old 08-16-2016, 12:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Unfortunately, you cannot get out of the carding rule. Management is strict on that one due to the expensive trouble they get in if you don't do your job. Ask colleagues how to present carding to their customers so both the customer and you can both save face.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot get out of the carding rule. Management is strict on that one due to the expensive trouble they get in if you don't do your job. Ask colleagues how to present carding to their customers so both the customer and you can both save face.

Yes it's the law and We had major issues with underage people in the past. So now we are extra strict but customers hate it and some ( the ones that don't like me) don't follow it. The rule is card anyone who looks under 40. Some of my coworkers only card of the person looks less that 30 . Some won't even card unless the person looks obviously less than 21. What would you do?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 PM

436 posts, read 521,329 times
This might be a battle you can't win...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment