Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:10 AM

759 posts, read 638,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
No, the economy there is so EXPENSIVE that $13/hour in Seattle is like minimum wage in Ohio taking into account the price of housing.
I would say it's less than that.

The average 1BR in Seattle is... $1600ish?

I rent a 3BR in the suburbs for $1800... and have 2 roommates because it's cheaper than a 1BR ($1300ish) for all parties.

As I said upthread I just took a $13 hr job with Amazon... but I'm doing it for EXTRA cash as well as exercise lol... my day job pays almost twice that amount.

$13 an hour won't get you much in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,048,794 times
Do you think a McJob would hire me with my Geology degree? I could describe the stratigraphy of the hamburgers for them.

/sarcasm

Old 07-01-2016, 09:38 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,717,070 times
I never had to work proper minimal wage job. Last time I worked in retail was a decade ago while in college. I too have been out of touch & assumed anyone can get minimal wage job until last month when I had to help uncles/cousin find jobs in our city. I took my cousins to so many place & many of these dollar stores have 150 question personality test. Even after completing those questions, the application goes in to black box not knowing if they will hire & when they will hire.

Then the question comes about hours. One of my cousin got a job in fast food place but he is not getting 40hr/week. He needs the money & has time to work extra but he is not getting the hours. So now we have to look for a 2nd job for him to become full time. Then scheduling will be complicated. It is not easy. I am surprise at all the demands fast food makes

Old 07-01-2016, 10:32 AM

679 posts, read 813,504 times
Its just another screening tool. they might find something they like or something that be less than ideal. I've had to take them since the 80's no big deal

As a previous poster has said, try doing side jobs or starting your own business.

If you don't want to follow corporate America's rules, then don't play in their sandbox, make your own!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 AM

10,357 posts, read 8,592,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm amazed at how these applications and personality tests are. It's minimum wage for crying out loud.
Some areas minimum wage is quite high. look at Ca.
On another note I always hear people complaining about idiot working at fast food places. Wouldn't you want the company to make some effort in hiring better people?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
People dismissively suggest go get a so called "menial" job to peole that are unemployed. I have to tell you out of touch people it is not easy. I have sat down for interviews with Managers at Red Robin, Chilis, Giant Supermarket act. I have been asked to take outrageous online personality test. These supposed "menial" jobs are not easy to obtain anymore. I really encourage some of you to go try it. 15 years ago there was not the bureaucratic hoops to go through. A person could walk into KFC and explain that he/she is having a hard time and the Manager would feel sorry for you and offer you a job. Now they say, you are not experienced and ask you the nonsensical questions like, "Tell me a time when…." If you are over 40 go to the SS office and apply for SSI. The system is stacked against us.
I usually applied to the temp agecies. They had me working (Usually) in a week or less.

As for SSI, that's for DISABLED people....

Old 07-01-2016, 12:12 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,772,891 times
Another thumbs up for the temp agencies - they usually get you working pretty quickly since they have a vested interest (i.e. their fee that the company pays them).

Old 07-01-2016, 12:16 PM

191 posts, read 230,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
People dismissively suggest go get a so called "menial" job to peole that are unemployed. I have to tell you out of touch people it is not easy. I have sat down for interviews with Managers at Red Robin, Chilis, Giant Supermarket act. I have been asked to take outrageous online personality test. These supposed "menial" jobs are not easy to obtain anymore. I really encourage some of you to go try it. 15 years ago there was not the bureaucratic hoops to go through. A person could walk into KFC and explain that he/she is having a hard time and the Manager would feel sorry for you and offer you a job. Now they say, you are not experienced and ask you the nonsensical questions like, "Tell me a time when…." If you are over 40 go to the SS office and apply for SSI. The system is stacked against us.
These clueless people (mostly older folk who grew up during the gravy-train/boom times) don't seem to understand basic math.

1. UI averages about $1400/month after tax? I know this personally because I was on unemployment for a brief time a few years ago.
2. Meanwhile average "McJob" averages like, $1000/month? I also know this personally because my younger brother who is fresh out of high school currently works a "McJob" and he takes home a little over $1000 after tax.

With the first one you get paid to do absolutely nothing, play video games, sleep in, relax, etc. With the second one you bust your azz for peanuts, so which is the smarter/more efficient choice??

Then there is also the issue of inflation and cost of living, which has made working a min-wage job basically worse than not working at all and being on welfare. Average rent, at least here in Denver, is.... $1000 or more for a simple 1 bedroom apartment? Car insurance averages $120ish? Food costs up? Health insurance up? Everything up up up as far as price goes.

The economy is so bad that coupled with all the inflation, even if you worked full-time at a "McJob" literally ALL your take-home check would be gobbled up by rent alone. Assuming you had a roommate and split the costs, $500 is still about half of your take-home pay of $1000, using a hypothetical example. The remaining $500 would also be gobbled up by your food, gas, and insurance costs. You just can't survive at all on such low wages, at least not with ever-increasing costs.

A lot of "McJobs" are bad for your health too..... exposure to dust, pollutants, chemicals, the sun, etc for $8/9 an hour? People always refer to fast-food when referencing "McJobs" but the reality is there are a lot more "dirty" jobs that are less reported that fall under the same category. Industrial sites, factory work, janitorial work, outdoor work, etc all fall under this same "McJobs" category.

The health aspect of these crappy jobs doesn't get mentioned much, but it goes hand-in-hand in a lot of cases. I have a relative who briefly worked in a medical supply factory w/ chemicals and such and developed asthma-like symptoms. The job paid a measly $11/hour

You are also 110% correct on the "difficulty" of landing even these menial jobs. In 2016 not only are you competing with teenagers and high-schoolers looking for their first job but you're ALSO competing w/ Bachelor's degree holders, Master's degree holders, and even PhD holders who were unable to land a job in this crappy economy. It's just brutal out there and the whole economy is a giant mess with no stability at all.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 07-01-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 12:19 PM

759 posts, read 638,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
These people (mostly older) don't seem to understand basic math.

1. UI averages about $1400/month after tax? I know this personally because I was on unemployment for a brief time a few years ago.
2. Meanwhile average "McJob" averages like, $1000/month? I also know this personally because my younger brother who is fresh out of high school currently works a "McJob" and he takes home a little over $1000 after tax.
UI maximums are different from state to state.

I collected max UI for a very long time in Georgia... $330 per week.

I collected max UI for a very short time in Washington state... $664 per week.

States like Florida are even lower... something like $275 per week maximum. I think Arizona is the lowest in the USA... $240 per week.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:25 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,769,707 times
To hell with those tests. I could answer them accurately and still not get a chance. I was lucky with Best Buy and even their tests are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment