Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:25 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,572,907 times

Advertisements

Again, I can see that there are a few people posting here who have never been "let go", "laid off", or just canned. If you ever, ever have, regardless of your age, it's your entire life that is on the line. It's not something some of us take lightly, because we have some pride in paying our bills on time and keeping a roof over our heads.

Even if you are top notch, you are expendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 AM

1,333 posts, read 885,152 times
I'm young still and I've only been with this company a year and a half or so, so when my boss wants to talk with me, I always get a little nervous. I can see it being concerning at first, but it should be something that you leave behind as you grow into the job.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 AM

2,350 posts, read 1,401,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
it's more scary when it's 3:30pm or after.
Or any Friday afternoon.

Don't be scared, they can't eat you...it's against the law.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,663 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Again, I can see that there are a few people posting here who have never been "let go", "laid off", or just canned. If you ever, ever have, regardless of your age, it's your entire life that is on the line. It's not something some of us take lightly, because we have some pride in paying our bills on time and keeping a roof over our heads.

I have never been fired or laid off, but I agree. As someone once said, there are millions of "indispensable" people in the cemetery. One way or another life goes on for the companies that lose even the most important key employee. I have quit jobs a total of 4 times over the last 40 or so years, but always after
accepting a better offer. I have always felt badly when firing someone, but they have always been given plenty of opportunity to improve their performance, with additional mentoring and training, and failed. Those losing their job to layoffs are the most unfortunate, it's happened to several close family members, but then they always ended up better off in the long run.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM

658 posts, read 848,915 times
Not anymore because I get called in the office so much for some bullshickeney shick it's not even funny with my current job. I am literally just in the office now like, 'ummmm, now...why am I here again? Please repeat so you all can hear your stupidity.'

Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,790,274 times
I never feared being called to the bosses office, except one time. We were taking a huge sea plane (200 ft wingspan, 185 foot length, and 2 decks inside) out of the water for a quick mechanical check. Two of us went out in a small line handler boat, to put the wheels onto the plane. One on each side front, and one in the back. Then the plane was hooked to 3 lines and the plane pulled out of the water with a Caterpillar crawler tractor. It was just moving off of the ramp, when one of the wheels broke off, and the plane crashed down. Into the big repair facility, and would not be leaving for Hawaii the next day as scheduled.

Myself, the man manning the boat, and the E6 in charge were relieved of duty while it was investigated. I was home bound with my wife till they found out why. The 3rd day we got a call to report to the Commanding Officers office. When we got there we were informed all investigation of how it happened was being immediately dropped.

The CO told us that when it got to the hanger, it was discovered that one of the hull gas tanks was leaking badly, and when they had filled the plane the fuel it that tank had filled another compartment which was not a tank and with lots of electrical wiring. It was estimated that flying the next flight, that as gas was drawn down it would be flowing back into the tank, exposing wiring and would have blown up about half the way to Hawaii with 44 Vips including some high ranking officers, and a Senate investigating team going to Korea, and 44,000 pounds of important cargo. The CO said he was not going to punish his buddies that had brought the leak to everyone's attention and saved his life as he was the first pilot scheduled to fly the next day. To heck with all the vip's lives that were saved, he was looking out for #1 himself that had his life saved. From that day on, if I needed something I could go to the CO and would get it, and he was always especially friendly with me.

Over the years when called to the boss's office I was never jumped on. Instead I would get a compliment and even promotions. I never hated to go to the boss's office, as I always felt I had nothing to fear, except for that one time in the Navy. Again no problem except that one time in the Navy which I had anticipated problems, but got a real heart felt thank you from the CO.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:34 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,364,610 times
I do. I used to always have performance issues due to my ADD. It has been taken care of for years now and I've always done well, but I still get nervous every time.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,115,729 times
When I started my career, I nearly worshipped the team leads around me who had five years of experience. Managers were folks I respected and felt nervous around.

28 years later, that has changed.

Nobody below VP level has an office here anymore. We all have cubes or cube-like desks. But since I know where I stand with my manager at all times now, there isn't any anxiety. Constant communication helps smooth the process. Some managers are idiots. Most are not. I try to deal with all of them respectfully and work for the good of the area(s) that I support.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:47 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,566,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post

This is so true. I was laid off from my last job and completely blindsided by it. A cut needed to be made, but there were people the boss actually complained about not working, but they were kept. I was cut for petty, personal reasons.

I am in a much better company and position now, but when I started it made me nervous when my boss would call me into his office. Early on, I made a joke about it (uh oh...not being fired am I?). He laughed and assured me that is not the case. It doesn't bother me now, but my boss is not the type to be critical or nit-pick and look for mistakes to point out. If he calls me into his office, it's because he has a question or there is something that needs to be done. I sit right outside his office so he just "yells" at me from his desk and it's no big deal.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:06 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,759,327 times
Back in the day, yes. Then after I got called in the office, and each time it was for praise, or for an extra project, or "we need ideas on how to handle X", then I stopped being nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment