Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,708,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
while I'm on my way to her office my heart is pounding and I'm sweating because I am thinking I did something wrong. And when I get there I find out its nothing too serious but it still makes me nervous to be called into the office. Wondering how many years do I have to be employed continuously to stop being so nervous.

My friend told me she felt the same way when she was called into her supervisor's office yesterday. Anyone else?
I'd probably get nervous too in that situation, but that's never happened to me. We have occasional meetings with the supervisor that are scheduled in advance, but I know those don't mean that I'm in trouble. I have a meeting coming up with my boss's boss which I'm looking forward to actually because he seems like a nice guy and he's not so bad to look at. I'll have to wear something nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 03:50 PM

51 posts, read 43,940 times
before I retired my boss said to me as we were passing each other in the hall way, "I have a bone to pick with you see me before you go home." I said oh no tell me now im not going to go through the rest of the work day knowing I have done something wrong and fret over it.

He said no we will talk at the end of the day. of course I stressed and worried and at the end of my work day I walked into his office and was told he was gone for the day. lol

PS he never did tell me what the problem was and of course I wasn't going to say ,"hey about that bone.........

Old 05-12-2016, 05:06 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,276,529 times
Sounds slightly abusive to me. I wouldn.t put up with that. Let me guess: junior management?

Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,032,127 times
it's more scary when it's 3:30pm or after.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:23 PM

6,891 posts, read 7,968,640 times
omg, yes. I've had more than one supervisor who called me into the office and blindsided me with criticism (some of it quite serious) about things that had never been discussed before (so how was I to know?) things that were absolutely untrue (and to refute them was disrespectful) and about things I had clearly previously asked for help with.

So yes, getting called to the supervisors office, regardless of who that supervisor is, makes me break into a cold sweat. I'm actually happy when it is for a legit concern so I can express my contrition, ask questions about how to fix the problem, and then do so immediately.

I'd much rather get dinged for something I did than something I didn't do.

I'm finally in a workplace where expectations are clear, Performance development plans are appropriately documented, and no one seems to be mentally ill. Woo hoo!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,276,529 times
Sounds slightly abusive to me. I wouldn.t put up with that. Let me guess: junior management?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,637,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
while I'm on my way to her office my heart is pounding and I'm sweating because I am thinking I did something wrong. And when I get there I find out its nothing too serious but it still makes me nervous to be called into the office. Wondering how many years do I have to be employed continuously to stop being so nervous.

My friend told me she felt the same way when she was called into her supervisor's office yesterday. Anyone else?
This is due in part to lack of leadership skills, they only want to talk when it's bad news and that's what you become conditioned to anticipate; "what did I do wrong?"

Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 PM

341 posts, read 1,236,389 times
Default Hmm

I can relate. I would think every time a boss wanted to talk to me I did something wrong. I think because my first boss was crappy and I had low self esteem from it so I carried it with me to the next job although I tried not to. It was especially hard being new and messing up so I was always fearing I would get let go. It's gotten better now though, it's been almost three months. I don't want to speak too soon or jinx it but so far so good... We will see at my 90 deview next following Monday.

My boss will come to me to talk about any news, updates, errors, tasks, fun talk, etc. Rather than "come see me in my office" which will make me feel it's bad news...I think some bosses know not to. Although funny we speak of t now because she emailed me "can we talk?" And if I hadn't ran into earlier and talked to her in person before seeing that I would've assumed it was bad news but it was nothing.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,574,466 times
the running joke at our office was: Who's turn is it to go to the principles office?
I had the record of the most in one month! Six times. I finally advised my boss that documentation will be required, and I'll gladly send him the recap. Those pull ins stopped... Guess he realized that his bully technique was about to be turned over... Excessive hounding is frowned upon.

No it doesn't get easier... unless a pen and paper are grabbed and notes are made

Rarely was it about attaboy! Or recognition... So go in prepared and deal with the situation professionally.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,004 posts, read 82,178,055 times
I suppose that's normal if someone is used to being reprimanded and criticized when called in to the supervisor's office. As a manager, it's my director that calls me in, and it's always to ask for advice or for some kind of data needed for someone higher up. Hopefully my staff are not afraid to come in and see me when I ask them to, but I do sometimes notice a somewhat worried look when they arrive and I ask them to shut my office door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment