Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
But in the same scenario if the speaker was correct that the email was sent and the recipient accidently or purposely ignored it has the speaker done anything wrong or is it "Charlygal" who acted incompetently and is simply making a very lame excuse and pulling the new "Bully Card?"

One of the early posters here has asked for specifics regarding what some see as bullying but is getting no answers except for one who objects to working overtime.
I wrote it in earlier posts what a Bully is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 PM

"Here are some of the tell-tale actions of a bully.
• 1. Overlooking or belittling the target’s work and achievement.
• 2. Backhanded comments on the target’s personal life or any other aspect unrelated to work.
• 3. Excessive yelling, swearing, and/or causing public humiliation.
• 4. Withholding critical information relevant to the target’s job with/without the target’s knowledge. Not sharing opportunities that could benefit the target.
• 5. Overworking, assigning excessive work, making it impossible to complete the job.
• 6. Keeping track of/maintaining a record of the target’s mistakes and constantly bringing them up even for trivial or irrelevant reasons.
• 7. Extensive micromanagement and expressing repeated distrust in the target’s caliber.
• 8. Blaming without any justification or proof.
• 9. Isolating the target, socially and professionally.
• 10. Spreading unwanted gossip and rumors about the target."

"According to the Workplace Bullying Institute, targets are usually independent, ethical, nurturing, "'go-to' veteran workers to whom new employees turn for guidance."

Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
It's really sad that these Bully's aren't dealth with correctly.
It's not bully's.

It's bullies.

Bully's is a possessive to mean that the bully in question owns something.

Bullies is the plural for bully, as in more than one.

This is probably why nothing showed up in your initial search for information.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
"According to the Workplace Bullying Institute, targets are usually independent, ethical, nurturing, "'go-to' veteran workers to whom new employees turn for guidance."
I used that site when I was compiling my 'case'. It has a lot of good stuff. Spot on!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:08 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I used that site when I was compiling my 'case'. It has a lot of good stuff. Spot on!
That site appears to be nothing more than a cottage industry for the couple who own it.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
That site appears to be nothing more than a cottage industry for the couple who own it.
Yep. They gave it a nice, official sounding name to lure in the less discerning types.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:29 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
But in the same scenario if the speaker was correct that the email was sent and the recipient accidently or purposely ignored it has the speaker done anything wrong or is it "Charlygal" who acted incompetently and is simply making a very lame excuse and pulling the new "Bully Card?"

One of the early posters here has asked for specifics regarding what some see as bullying but is getting no answers except for one who objects to working overtime.
The point of the scenario is the speaker is lying in order to make "Charlygal" look bad. And the victim -- "Charlygal" in the scenario -- knows the bully is lying in order to make everyone conclude just what you did -- that "Charlygal" acted incompetently and was making up an excuse.

That was one illustration of a bully that answers the second part of your post. Which has been answered several times.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 AM

5 posts, read 3,023 times
Agree with Nlambert, bullies can't do anything if you do not give attention to them firstly if you have to become straight forward if any person tell you any thing, whether for dress or anything else went to him and tell him you don't like this type of comments and stay away from you if he or she do it again then go to HR and tell whole matter if he do not take any action against him you can contact with your management. Last option contact with lawyers.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I spent the past six months dealing with one. I worked for a program manager who thought he could bully me into breaking company processes because he didn't like how long it took to get a specific task done. For a while I simply advised as to why the processes were in place and that I had to follow them. Eventually his antics got worse, and as they did I more firmly stood my ground. Towards the end, he was calling me at home to tell me that rumors were going around that no one liked my work. I laughed it off because my manager said the exact opposite. He eventually complained enough to upper management that he got a "promotion" in the form of being pulled from my contract and pushed into a lesser role.

Once a bully figures out that they cannot bully you, they will stop in one form or another. I guess I don't really get too concerned with a "bully" because they can't do anything to me that I will allow to negatively alter my life. You just have to be willing to stand your ground.
Your boss isn't a bully he's a control freak. There is a difference. What you experienced is not bullying.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
I looked at a few comments, cant say I read them all.
First, I'm an HR Manager so I want to clarify a few things.
If an employee feels they're being bullied the first step is to address it with the person bullying.
Second step is to go to their manager, this is a management issue.
3rd step is to go to HR but I want to be clear here, bullying rarely rises to a legal status. HR at that point can discuss and advice, but there is nothing going to court over this.

I also want to respond to the person stating "HR loves to promote bullies". HR does not promote, unless within HR, the department hiring managers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment