Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm being bullied at the moment by a business analyst who is besties with one of our vice presidents. No point in complaining about it; nobody would believe me or care.

I am working urgently on finding another job or transferring to another group in the company.
It's really sad that these Bully's aren't dealth with correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times
About Bully's- Just some stuff I found on the internet...

"Abusive conduct is defined as any malicious conduct that a reasonable person would find hostile, offensive, and unrelated to the employer’s legitimate business interests. This includes verbal abuse, threats, and efforts to sabotage or undermine someone’s work performance. However, the law does not make abusive conduct illegal or allow employees to sue employers who fail to stop it."

"It is in your employer’s best interests to put a stop to workplace bullying. Bullying drags down morale, performance, and productivity, without any benefit to the company. Savvy employers will take steps to stop bullying as soon as they are aware of it."

[url=http://labor-employment-law.lawyers.com/employment-discrimination/workplace-bullying-the-meanest-of-the-mean.html]Is Workplace Bullying Illegal? - Lawyers.com[/url]

"Are you being bullied?
You might think that the answer should be obvious, and it sometimes is, but some people are bullied for years without actually realizing it."

[url=http://bullyonline.org/index.php/bullying/15-am-i-being-bullied]Am I Being Bullied?[/url]

Am I really being bullied, or just the useless idiot you're trying to make me feel like?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,981 times
Luckily the places I worked weren't heavy into the office politics. Maybe because I've worked at mostly medium sized and smaller companies. So never experienced bullying or workplace harassment. Sucks for those who have dealt with it though

Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Does anyone have experience with being bullied at work? From what I've read on the internet, Bully's never get fired.
They never get fired because they're usually the sorry ass suck-ups and yes-men, the management encourages it, or it is the so-called leadership. Get yourself a small camera, conceal it, and let it record nonstop. It won't take long for things to be captured on camera. Take that video to a lawyer, have them review it, and see what else can be done. First before filing a lawsuit, report the bullying, and see if things either improve or become worse for you. Keep that camera on you at all times.

Last edited by Creature of the Wheel; 03-30-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
If it happens at my work, you're gone, plain and simple. They let go people no matter the position.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 PM

325 posts, read 337,199 times
I was sometimes being bullied by a jackass who thinks he is the boss though he is not in a management position. In one case he tried to force me out of his way physically just to do one task when he could just wait until I am done. Trying to stand my ground I once make him wait until I am out of his way when I complete one task and he got angry at me. I'm sorry, he's not the boss and he will not push me around and tell me what to do, which was something he has done. He's a good worker to our company but he has not been a pleasure to work with. Usually I just avoid this nincompoop. In my case telling our supervisor about him may just get me in trouble. Oh, by the way, he drives his car like as if on the race track.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:20 PM

455 posts, read 388,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
You read correctly. For two reasons. First, it is HR's job to make sure this stuff disappears and cannot possibly be a legal issue. So--by not acknowledging the "bully", they have to do nothing. There is a reason bullies survive while the people they intimidate move on. Second, it is a clinical fact, documented, that in schools and work situations, it is much easier, less effort to quiet the victim rather than confront the bully. So, it is commonplace that the victim gets victimized twice. Just another peripheral negative of many, making HR a "real" department in business's. HR loves, promotes, accommodates work place bullies. If you try to take them on, make sure your resume is updated. You will lose.

Making statements that disparage a particular individual or group with the intent to hurt emotionally is one form of bullying. Based on your own comments above, this makes you a bully.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Bulling never ends, they bad part, they don't understand they are being bullies. Most are just alpha males being alpha males. He is not your friend, ever.. In the background you need to document every incident, facts, date, pictures. One day it come in handle especially if the other side has no documents, just keep quiet and collect facts. Hr cannot help you, they only work for the corporation

Old 03-30-2016, 03:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
It's an odd thing to me that bullies exist in professional workplaces. I can see it at retail or fast food or something but this is happening in corporate america? I've encountered lots of horrible workers, bad bosses etc, but no bullies.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bell View Post
This. While it's sometimes true that "bullies prey on weakness", it's also true that weakness invites bullying.
And, women who dress provocatively "invite" an assault Red haired people invite teasing?
Are you practiced at it? So- depending on your interpretation of "weak" its ok to violate/passively assault somebody because it is determined they deserved, ok you are the ad hoc weakness judge and jury?
Nobody invites this stuff. There is no place for it. We are a hostile an uncivil society. That you would even consider writing the stuff you wrote puts an exclamation point on this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment