Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:56 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,109,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena27 View Post
Hi,

So I have been at my new job a little over a month and I absolutely hate it. Maybe not so much my responsibilities but the company culture and colleagues. It's extremely rigid and I feel like I'm in prison. I took this job with high hopes. The pay was very good for a secretarial job. But the money isn't worth my happiness. I dread everyday I have to go to work. I have tried to wait it out and look for the positive. But other then the money - there are no positives. I work with a woman I can't stand. She has somewhat trained me and I say somewhat because she has pretty much left me to fend for myself. When I ask questions she acts annoyed. She's passive aggressive and condescending. My manager is completely unapproachable and if I did complain about this woman it would only make it worse. I just want out at this point. I'm married and my husband says now isn't a good time financially to quit without another job lined up. I'm in the Midwest and have been applying for another job, even though it's slim pickings.

I have never been so miserable.
Why didn't you read up on the company culture (a lot of companies write about it on their webpage) and or asked about it in an interview? I don't know maybe I'm too inquisitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 PM

754 posts, read 1,501,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Why didn't you read up on the company culture (a lot of companies write about it on their webpage) and or asked about it in an interview? I don't know maybe I'm too inquisitive.
Not many companies, or for that matter, interviewers will readily admit to potential problems within their office in regards to a "toxic office culture" or other problems with various personnel, etc....that is, if that is what the case is here to OP describes. Sometimes certain people clash and it just does not mix well.

The OP's description of the problem at work is a bit vague other than a perceived coldness so for me I find it hard to really conclude much from this...

Most of us have probably encountered such a work environment at least at some point in our lives (I have twice, once being remarkably bad). The OP is apparent trying to hold out till a new job comes along, but without knowing the specifics of what she has been dealing with at her job, hard to really agree or not if quitting immediately would be a good idea or not.

One job I worked at had a pretty 'toxic' social environment to it, so much so a number of people had quit after short periods of time. I quit on the spot after six weeks and much of the company's problems could be traced back to two people, who numerous employees cited and complained about (or mentioned as they quit, like myself). I found out later, only once they were both gone did things improve and the business started to pick up and thrive.

Unusually high turnover for a specific industry/position can be a red flag when one is job-seeking.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 PM

102 posts, read 185,654 times
You can treat her like she treats you... Just do the same thing, it's like a fight but indirectly. Or you can be a nice person with her till she feels that you care or love (if she cares) your job. I would say good morning when you step in to the office. You can quit your job if you rich. But it is hard to get a job unless you make arrangements. GL

Old 04-02-2016, 10:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,813,814 times
I've been in a similar situation OP. I had a job that I absolutely detested (though my reasons for hating it were different than yours). I was stressed and depressed and felt like crying every morning. My husband told me to go ahead and leave because he could see how unhappy I was. A week after I left, I started a new job in a field that I really enjoy, working hours that I love. It pays less, but will offer some great experience and I definitely don't dread going to work anymore.

You just have to do what's best for you. Hope you find something great!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 PM

146 posts, read 214,316 times
OP, Good for you for quitting, I cant believe some people were trying to give you grief for not giving two weeks, my position has always been that they sure as shooting arent giving ME two weeks if they need to lay me off or can me to save a nickle.

On a sidenote, Im so happy some of the " self righteous " yes men around here finally got called out for their borderline insulting comments.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,597,721 times
So did you quit?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:24 AM

22,127 posts, read 13,151,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So did you quit?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 AM

32 posts, read 38,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So did you quit?

Yes I did.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,373,184 times
How did they respond when you left with no notice? Were they upset, or was it more of an, oh okay, good luck, turn in your badge to HR? Just curious.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 38,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
How did they respond when you left with no notice? Were they upset, or was it more of an, oh okay, good luck, turn in your badge to HR? Just curious.
I wrote a resignation letter. I emailed it and he responded this morning. My boss said he was sorry to hear of my experience with the company and to mail my badge back. I copied HR on the letter and I did go into detail as to why I was quitting. The HR rep did not respond. That's all so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment