Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena27 View Post
I wrote a resignation letter. I emailed it and he responded this morning. My boss said he was sorry to hear of my experience with the company and to mail my badge back. I copied HR on the letter and I did go into detail as to why I was quitting. The HR rep did not respond. That's all so far.

*shrugs*

Your letter will go into the "we dodged a bullet" can. You won't be hearing back from them. Just be sure you don't use them as a former employer. Nobody likes a no-show, no-notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 38,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
*shrugs*

Your letter will go into the "we dodged a bullet" can. You won't be hearing back from them. Just be sure you don't use them as a former employer. Nobody likes a no-show, no-notice.
LOL. I was there a very short time and had no intention to put them on my resume. Bullying should never be tolerated. If anyone dodged a bullet it was me.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 PM

752 posts, read 1,495,168 times
Quote:
LOL. I was there a very short time and had no intention to put them on my resume. Bullying should never be tolerated. If anyone dodged a bullet it was me.
I really would not worry at all about putting this in a resume or work history. You were there such a short amount of time, it really will not matter. If a work environment is so unpleasant/toxic that you dread going in every day--or most days, it is time to leave. One can only do so much to "work better with others" and much of the crap along those lines; there comes a point where leaving is better for your well-being.

If you feel you did the right thing and feel better now, then great. It is in your hands.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:48 PM

254 posts, read 597,797 times
Quote:
Hi,

So I have been at my new job a little over a month and I absolutely hate it. Maybe not so much my responsibilities but the company culture and colleagues. It's extremely rigid and I feel like I'm in prison. I took this job with high hopes. The pay was very good for a secretarial job. But the money isn't worth my happiness. I dread everyday I have to go to work. I have tried to wait it out and look for the positive. But other then the money - there are no positives. I work with a woman I can't stand. She has somewhat trained me and I say somewhat because she has pretty much left me to fend for myself. When I ask questions she acts annoyed. She's passive aggressive and condescending. My manager is completely unapproachable and if I did complain about this woman it would only make it worse. I just want out at this point. I'm married and my husband says now isn't a good time financially to quit without another job lined up. I'm in the Midwest and have been applying for another job, even though it's slim pickings.

I have never been so miserable.
I know it sucks working for a job you hate. I had a couple like that. This is a time of getting to know one another and you've only been there a month. Try and be nice. Bring in cookies or something on a Friday to lighten things up. Once they see how nice you are hopefully they will too. As for the training thing, politely ask the lady who trains you that you need to be shown how the process works so things will go smoother and you can get your work done faster. If she still refuses, then you have a problem. You can ask her why she won't show you. If she refuses, that is a problem. Why people won't train you properly may be because they either don't know it much themselves or feel threatened by the new person, or feel you should already know what you're doing. You can always look for another job also. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I know it sucks working for a job you hate. I had a couple like that. This is a time of getting to know one another and you've only been there a month. Try and be nice. Bring in cookies or something on a Friday to lighten things up. Once they see how nice you are hopefully they will too. As for the training thing, politely ask the lady who trains you that you need to be shown how the process works so things will go smoother and you can get your work done faster. If she still refuses, then you have a problem. You can ask her why she won't show you. If she refuses, that is a problem. Why people won't train you properly may be because they either don't know it much themselves or feel threatened by the new person, or feel you should already know what you're doing. You can always look for another job also. Good luck.

It helps if you read the end of the thread before posting. The OP quit her job.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 PM

254 posts, read 597,797 times
I couldn't read all that. Too bad hope she finds a better job.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
I don't think anyone can be blamed for responding without reading *thirteen* pages of replies first...

JennStar, you sound very nice. Too bad the OP couldn't work with you!

Old 04-05-2016, 02:35 PM

32 posts, read 38,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Thank you for the kind advice. I did quit because I dreaded going in every morning. The money was good but that was the only positive

Old 04-05-2016, 10:48 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I have quit more jobs due to the work environment(bad manager) than salary. Of my 5 former co-workers that quit their jobs, four quit due to their direct manager. The last one quitting for more money, but he is still in the early part of his career(3rd year).

The quitters got $10-20k more at the new job, while becoming more engaged in their work and enjoying less stressful environment with their new bosses. They worked fewer hours at a salaried job and use that time for their loved ones.

I encourage you to keep applying for new jobs.
I

Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't think anyone can be blamed for responding without reading *thirteen* pages of replies first...

I always read the first OP, then I go to the last page and read it, before I comment. I don't read the whole thing either, but I at least try to make sure my comment wouldn't be like starting the entire thread over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment