Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM

298 posts, read 271,202 times

Advertisements

so to sum it up: yes, it clearly exists but not in govt' jobs, social work, teaching, and the other stereotypical jobs for older people. Great. so if someone decided to do something outside of these listed jobs they have a very low chance. So basically forget about mid life career change unless it's into those jobs on this list? Great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:40 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
so to sum it up: yes, it clearly exists but not in govt' jobs, social work, teaching, and the other stereotypical jobs for older people. Great. so if someone decided to do something outside of these listed jobs they have a very low chance. So basically forget about mid life career change unless it's into those jobs on this list? Great...
Ageism exists but has no impact on employment rates. In fact, unemployment rates go DOWN as you get older.

Change careers as often as you'd like, and at any age. It might just take a little longer when you're older, no biggie.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM

29,524 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
If this was true, why aren't the unemployment rates sky high for older workers? Older workers currently have the lowest unemployment rates out of all age ranges.

In my research, it looks like the average time to find a new job increases as a worker ages, but the employment rates are higher for the older workforce.
Others have already answered but the key is that it takes older people longer to find a job than any other age group.

Employment rates may be higher for older people, but as others say that's because they can be at the same job for years. Younger people can afford to job hop and move around, so their overall rate may not be as high, but that's a good thing for them.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
I'm a certified engineering technician where certification means everything and that takes a minimum of ten full years to achieve. There aren't any shortcuts to certification and for that I am thankful.

At my level 74.1% of registered technicians are older than 50 but it gets better. 53.7% are older than 60 and 31.5% are older than 65. 13.0% are over 70.

Only 1.9% of our number is younger than 40 and under 36 doesn't exist as far as I can tell. The youngest in the state of Georgia was certified last year and he's 39. If you want a spring chicken he's it.

I'm 67, still working and 20.4% of my peers are older than I am so while I am getting older I am still far from being the oldest. Two more years and I will retire.

For 20 plus years my industry is going through a very severe shortage of registered technicians right now and those companies looking could care less about how old someone is.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Others have already answered but the key is that it takes older people longer to find a job than any other age group.

Employment rates may be higher for older people, but as others say that's because they can be at the same job for years. Younger people can afford to job hop and move around, so their overall rate may not be as high, but that's a good thing for them.
Job hopping isn't necessarily a good thing, especially if there are more periods of unemployment that drive the unemployment ratios up for those younger people. And maybe older folks have figured out that you stay at your job until you have another lined up.

We've tossed resumes because candidates had 6 jobs in 5 years and several gaps. Work ethic is important.

But we're getting off topic here. This topic is about job paths where ageism is less likely to affect you. It's a flawed question, since ageism only affects the unemployed, and unemployment rates shrink as we age.

If someone is constantly getting fired throughout their career, feel free to blame that on ageism. Or office politics. Or they were "too expensive". Or any other excuse, since people never say they were let go because of their own incompetence.

Ageism is just another one of those excuses.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
High demand fields, where they have trouble finding qualified workers, are good. Also fields where young people are no longer interested. Probably nursing. Real estate, as long as you can perform they don't care how old you are.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Job hopping isn't necessarily a good thing, especially if there are more periods of unemployment that drive the unemployment ratios up for those younger people. And maybe older folks have figured out that you stay at your job until you have another lined up.

We've tossed resumes because candidates had 6 jobs in 5 years and several gaps. Work ethic is important.

But we're getting off topic here. This topic is about job paths where ageism is less likely to affect you. It's a flawed question, since ageism only affects the unemployed, and unemployment rates shrink as we age.

If someone is constantly getting fired throughout their career, feel free to blame that on ageism. Or office politics. Or they were "too expensive". Or any other excuse, since people never say they were let go because of their own incompetence.

Actually, the OP identified himself as a millennial, so the general expectation of the experts that millennials face a lifetime of job-hopping. "Find a good company and stay there for life" is pretty much extinct for them. The OP was all about how ageism may affect him and his generation 20-30 years from now.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Granted, I'm only 26, but after reading how those 45 and over are having a horrible time finding work and are being told they are "overqualified" or are being turned down in favor of younger workers, I would think it important to either find a career that pays VERY well now so that you can retire at 45 or so or else one that can last longer than 45 where they cannot just hire someone younger for a fraction of the cost or where you're ability to do the job is no longer good enough to get hired (take manual labor for instance).

For instance, professional sports (I know that's an extreme as so few get into that). They spend years in there and it puts a lot of strain on their body. By the time of their 40's, if not sooner, they are too worn out to keep going and also their ability to do many other jobs is affected by it. I mean, if they didn't pay millions for the job, do you think we'd see so many professional sporting events? If they only made $100K a year, they'd be in a bind as they'd be worn out by their late 30's/early 40's and may well have to retire then due to all the damage to their bodies.

On the flip side, if you go into software programming or something along those lines, you might be fine till your 40's, but if you get laid off then, then likely they'll want to hire someone younger that they can pay cheaper.

One field I can think of is a doctor, where you can do somewhat well starting out and can last into your 50's or 60's and not have to worry about being turned down for being too old or having too much experience.
Don't worry about it. Do what you enjoy and make sure you save for a rainy day.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:

You are as wrong as it is possible to be wrong.

Age discrimination is alive and well in this country. And many companies are very reluctant to hire older people. Especially in STEM areas. I personally know several who have lost their jobs, their homes, declared bankruptcy.

Try getting a job when you are 60. It is almost impossible. Regardless of your field. And I know that thru personal experience. Not thru looking at some sets of BLS data.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You are as wrong as it is possible to be wrong.

Age discrimination is alive and well in this country. And many companies are very reluctant to hire older people. Especially in STEM areas. I personally know several who have lost their jobs, their homes, declared bankruptcy.

Try getting a job when you are 60. It is almost impossible. Regardless of your field. And I know that thru personal experience. Not thru looking at some sets of BLS data.
The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

I work in the STEM field with programmers in their 50's and 60's. I never said age discrimination doesn't exist. What I said is it's a non-issue, not because of my opinion or yours, but actual data.

Ignoring the data doesn't make it go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment