Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,022,586 times

Advertisements

Interesting poll on Good Morning America today. Race is not considered a big issue... but age is! 40% polled said age was a major concern.

Even more interesting, age-related issues are becoming an increasing concern with voters. The more people think about it, the more they realize (or at least wonder if) there is such a thing as being too old for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,022,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting poll on Good Morning America today. Race is not considered a big issue... but age is! 40% polled said age was a major concern.

Even more interesting, age-related issues are becoming an increasing concern with voters. The more people think about it, the more they realize (or at least wonder if) there is such a thing as being too old for a job.
This goes hand in hand with another trend I've noticed in the past 4-5 days. Suddenly the hot new accusation is to call people "ageist." Apparently this is supposed to make people ashamed. I've been called an ageist a few times already. But as I said before, it just doesn't have the desired effect. When a 20-something calls me an ageist, it just makes me snicker.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,991,769 times
I think the age issue is important, because the older a president is, the more likely something will happen health-wise or life-wise during his term.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,778,413 times
How stupid y'all's statements. Live long enough, you're gonna get old. Life happens, ya know?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,671,906 times
What is more significant and more worrisome is the extreme lack of respect for older people, with MORE experience, more wisdom about life. Respect of elders not being taught any more, and of course the "popular culture" mandates eternal youth as a value, not age.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 AM

955 posts, read 2,162,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I think the age issue is important, because the older a president is, the more likely something will happen health-wise or life-wise during his term.
Once again, certain topics are politically correct and others are not. Transpose to another "ism" and you would be chastised.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,887,432 times
if this was such a concern, then how come we have allowed ted kennedy and others like strom thrumond to serve until they are practically dust?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,206,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
How stupid y'all's statements. Live long enough, you're gonna get old. Life happens, ya know?

So "y'all's" () stupid?

And "Live long enough, you're gonna get old" is a brilliant deduction?????

I see nothing stupid about any of the posts...a discussion of age....where was this "stupid" y'all was talkin' 'bout?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,456,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
That's nice and everything but McCain has demonstrated symptoms often associated with extreme age i.e. confusion, forgetfulness etc. Add to that, his health problems with cancer and the likelihood that it will reoccur, usually another product of old age. McCain's advanced years should be a major talking point in this campaign.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM

4,300 posts, read 7,050,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That's nice and everything but McCain has demonstrated symptoms often associated with extreme age i.e. confusion, forgetfulness etc. Add to that, his health problems with cancer and the likelihood that it will reoccur, usually another product of old age. McCain's advanced years should be a major talking point in this campaign.
FYI if he's that old and messed up like you claim, and he is still able to put up with all the crap and stress that people like you put him through daily, I'm impressed. You don't normally see that kind of resiliences in the elderly these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections