Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! With the sunshine today I'm thinking ahead to spring bike riding. I've found some areas that have mountain bike/single track trails, but are there any flatter trails you would recommend that are gravel/paved? Hills are okay, narrow trails with mud and tree roots are not.

In an old thread, someone mentioned the McAlpine Greenway but said it wasn't finished yet (this was back in '06). Anyone know if a)it's finished and b)it's a generally safe area to ride alone during the day?

I live out in Cabarrus, so if anyone knows any paths out here or in Rowan, that would be great too! Don't mind driving a ways, but would like to find something closer to Kannapolis also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Hi everyone! With the sunshine today I'm thinking ahead to spring bike riding. I've found some areas that have mountain bike/single track trails, but are there any flatter trails you would recommend that are gravel/paved? Hills are okay, narrow trails with mud and tree roots are not.

In an old thread, someone mentioned the McAlpine Greenway but said it wasn't finished yet (this was back in '06). Anyone know if a)it's finished and b)it's a generally safe area to ride alone during the day?

I live out in Cabarrus, so if anyone knows any paths out here or in Rowan, that would be great too! Don't mind driving a ways, but would like to find something closer to Kannapolis also.

I think I've seen people biking by me in Liske Park. There's a big nature trail in there that also has something like 24 or 28 exercise stops as well. I think I've seen people biking into that. I think there's also one around Rocky River but I'm not entirely sure of that either.

Some help I am, huh?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I think I've seen people biking by me in Liske Park. There's a big nature trail in there that also has something like 24 or 28 exercise stops as well. I think I've seen people biking into that. I think there's also one around Rocky River but I'm not entirely sure of that either.

Some help I am, huh?
No, that's a great help actually! I will check out Liske Park, it's not too far from me. The exercise stops could be something fun also, used to have those at a park by my old place but they weren't very well maintained. Is the trail somewhat populated during the day, or more desolate? (trying to avoid desolate, woodsy, serial-killer areas, lol!)

Also, where is the Rocky River place you mentioned?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
No, that's a great help actually! I will check out Liske Park, it's not too far from me. The exercise stops could be something fun also, used to have those at a park by my old place but they weren't very well maintained. Is the trail somewhat populated during the day, or more desolate? (trying to avoid desolate, woodsy, serial-killer areas, lol!)

Also, where is the Rocky River place you mentioned?

If you're going northbound on 29...it's not far before the Lowes (probably closer to Baby Dolls)...you drive over a trail. I believe it's around Rocky River or something like that. I'm a lot more fuzzy on that one than Liske Park.

As far as Liske Park goes, I've gone there a few times looking to take pictures as it's about a minute from me. I've gone there pretty early in the morning so it does seem to be desolate at that time, and it is pretty woodsy. For what it's worth I have never heard of any violence in that park, anybody missing from in there, for all I know they may have it camera'd up pretty well all around. It really is a fantastic park/nature/fitness trail and well worth checking out.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If you're going northbound on 29...it's not far before the Lowes (probably closer to Baby Dolls)...you drive over a trail. I believe it's around Rocky River or something like that. I'm a lot more fuzzy on that one than Liske Park.

As far as Liske Park goes, I've gone there a few times looking to take pictures as it's about a minute from me. I've gone there pretty early in the morning so it does seem to be desolate at that time, and it is pretty woodsy. For what it's worth I have never heard of any violence in that park, anybody missing from in there, for all I know they may have it camera'd up pretty well all around. It really is a fantastic park/nature/fitness trail and well worth checking out.
Yes, I would second that Liske park is great, however, it IS hilly, not flat like we are used to!

Old 02-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, I would second that Liske park is great, however, it IS hilly, not flat like we are used to!

Yeah but that's good for people like myself who could stand to lose a few el bee's.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM

359 posts, read 1,143,827 times
I walk the McAlpine Greenway at least 3-4 times a week, and will be getting a bike this spring. I do this alone most times and am female..as long as you stay on the main trail you will be fine alone as it is all wide open trail, flat, gravel. If you take it from the Margaret Wallace entrance to E WT Harris it is paved.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
Info on greenways in Mecklenburg County is here:

Park and Rec Greenways (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Greenways/Home.htm - broken link)

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,239 times
Not in Cabarrus, but close to it is the Mallard Creek Greenway. It stretches from UNCC for ~6 or 7 miles to its end near Prosperity Church Rd. and Dearmon Road. It is listed on the Meck County website posted above. I rode it the full length last weekend and loved it. Paved most of the way except for a short portion.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,630 times
Default I like Mallard Creek and Clarke's Creek

it is a fun ride along the creek but there is a dirt section in the lower end through University Research Park. It's still pretty good. I think all total back and forth it is about 11 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte