Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies showing off the goods at work
Im a gal and I show em off to all that want to look 5 6.76%
Im a gal and I show em off, but I only want certain people to look 3 4.05%
Im a gal and I show em off, but no one should be looking!!! 1 1.35%
Im a gal and I dont show em off! 34 45.95%
Im a guy, and I like to look! 26 35.14%
Im a guy, and I dont like to look! 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:14 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,469,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I like to look, but not at work, and not in a well-dressed office setting. That's my world, sorry. It would be really tacky and it would be hard for a woman to be taken seriously IMO.

Also, we went to a harassment training seminar. Leering constitutes harassment. I don't think it should, but it does. It's actually more wrong for anybody to dress so provocatively that they would give you a reason to leer.
do you work in a morgue?

I haven't worked ANYWHERE In corp America in the past 10 years where there wasn't a daily display of yummy flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
do you work in a morgue?

I haven't worked ANYWHERE In corp America in the past 10 years where there wasn't a daily display of yummy flesh.
No. I've worked in professional services firms...downtown type jobs. There might be a secretary or admin that has a nice fitting dress or skirt that shows from her knees on down and that's about it...or you might figure out what's beyond a blouse but not a heavily unbuttoned one.

In downtown settings, regardless of the city, it's TACKY and you don't see it much.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,910,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am going to my first NHL game to see the Red Wings in March. I swear if I sit there thinking of this I will come back and give you a hard time!
Hate to tell ya but at a red wings game........... it ain't likely. I've not been to one IN detriot but by the way their fans dress when at games here in Dallas......... the only chests I saw from one of their fans were the 3 guys w/ no shirts on wearing red paint and they were NOTHING to look at (otherwise I'd be looking ). Now, if you want to come see the red wings play the Dallas Stars I have two tickets. After the last game a few weeks ago against them we swore that was THE LAST game we would attend when detriot was in town. In Dallas you WILL see it. I promise.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,469,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Hate to tell ya but at a red wings game........... it ain't likely. I've not been to one IN detriot but by the way their fans dress when at games here in Dallas......... the only chests I saw from one of their fans were the 3 guys w/ no shirts on wearing red paint and they were NOTHING to look at (otherwise I'd be looking ). Now, if you want to come see the red wings play the Dallas Stars I have two tickets. After the last game a few weeks ago against them we swore that was THE LAST game we would attend when detriot was in town. In Dallas you WILL see it. I promise.
maybe its more of a southern thing...

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Quote:

In downtown settings, regardless of the city, it's TACKY and you don't see it much.
In my profession, I have seen people get fired for showing the goods, it just has no place in the professional world.
I didnt make the rules, thats just how it is!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,910,002 times
Quote:
No. I've worked in professional services firms...downtown type jobs. There might be a secretary or admin that has a nice fitting dress or skirt that shows from her knees on down and that's about it...or you might figure out what's beyond a blouse but not a heavily unbuttoned one.

True. I've worked downtown and it is a whole different ball game. The girls that dress a little "less" are typically in lower paying jobs in those settings. Every now and then you will see a professional female dressed in a very nice outfit that shows a wee bit of a hint of cleavage but not much. This is when you learn to dress in a more "fitting" way that still is very flattering but not "open" for every eye to see and ogle. The curves are there and all but covered up.

-------------------------

Okay, who is the other guy that says they don't look?????

Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Quote:
True. I've worked downtown and it is a whole different ball game. The girls that dress a little "less" are typically in lower paying jobs in those settings. Every now and then you will see a professional female dressed in a very nice outfit that shows a wee bit of a hint of cleavage but not much. This is when you learn to dress in a more "fitting" way that still is very flattering but not "open" for every eye to see and ogle. The curves are there and all but covered up.

exactly! I have seen clients wives have a stroke over how some of the office gals were dressed...... its all about the client and their $$$$ (and the wife)

-------------------------

Okay, who is the other guy that says they don't look?????
I wanna know, too, must be one of those pesky lurkers......

Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
Quote:
OK... Now it is on...we will see..

Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,011 times
Men and women talk to my chest sometimes when they're having a conversation with me. I'm used to it. Doesn't mean I like it nor to I dress to invite the looks. I've never had anyone in the workplace make a comment that made me feel uncomfortable. Now what they say behind my back, I guess I'll never know.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,011 times
Quote:
...Years ago (gosh, has it been THAT long ) when I worked at this one bank...... we had a BLAST!!! If one of us girls happened to be wearing a certain shoe we had one VP that would say something but all in fun. I still like and wish I had my purple suede CFMP's.
CFMP's [LMAO] I haven't seen that acronym since the 80's. Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment