Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

I have usually held positions where appearance is not a factor. Lately, I have been trying to branch out a bit and get a job where manual labor is not as necessary (getting older), and in many cases, especially with desk jobs, "professional appearance" is often listed.

I cannot imagine getting up an hour or so earlier every day just to fix my hair and put on makeup. Do people really do this? I do not have a "hairstyle" per se, but usually just stick my hair in a ponytail after getting out of the shower or bath. Make up is a disaster. I put it on and 15 minutes later it's gone (except the mascara, which is all over my face). How do you keep this stuff on your face? It smears all over everything. I can't even see my cell phone display for all the makeup on it. Lipstick? OMG

Please, can I have some pointers how to do this? I put on makeup and 15 minutes later I look like a cross between the crypt keeper and Tammy Faye Bakker. Help

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
What about visiting a licensed beautician or something for a half hour? See if they have practical tips. It might be fun too.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have usually held positions where appearance is not a factor. Lately, I have been trying to branch out a bit and get a job where manual labor is not as necessary (getting older), and in many cases, especially with desk jobs, "professional appearance" is often listed.

I cannot imagine getting up an hour or so earlier every day just to fix my hair and put on makeup. Do people really do this? I do not have a "hairstyle" per se, but usually just stick my hair in a ponytail after getting out of the shower or bath. Make up is a disaster. I put it on and 15 minutes later it's gone (except the mascara, which is all over my face). How do you keep this stuff on your face? It smears all over everything. I can't even see my cell phone display for all the makeup on it. Lipstick? OMG

Please, can I have some pointers how to do this? I put on makeup and 15 minutes later I look like a cross between the crypt keeper and Tammy Faye Bakker. Help

20yrsinBranson
You are too funny! Now, I know you look better than you think. Ah, this is one of the things I really hate about long term unemployment. I look slouchy many days but am trying to save money on makeup and clothes. Since the majority of my jobs over the years have required a lot of contact with the public, I can't imagine not getting up earlier to do the hair and makeup.

Block out some time to visit department store makeup counters and schedule a makeover or two. There are all types of primers and other products that will help your makeup last longer. Tell the associates your needs and they will be happy to give suggestions. Many people I know are using Bare Minerals and like it. Pick up a few magazines like Allure and check out their hints. I haven't used the fashion and beauty forum on City-Data much, but I'm sure the posters on it will also have lots of hints.

Have fun with the changes!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:56 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
How about trying a makeover at the MAC counter or other make-up counter in the department stores? They can show you the best colors for your face, how to apply things properly, types of brushes to use, etc. You don't have to buy their products but typically folks buy a lipgloss or something. Once you learn their techniques, it doesn't take that long to put on make-up.

As far as hair, a hair stylist could assist you with a nice, low-maintenance cut for your hair and again, the latest products for hair care. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
It sounds like you have an idea that there's some 'law' that if you take time to address your appearance in the morning, that it must take an hour.

I 'do' my hair every morning--it takes fifteen minutes, which is just blow-drying time. And I only do it because I have such incredibly thick hair that if I don't blow-dry it, it will still be wet when the workday is over. There is nothing unprofessional about a ponytail, so long as it is neatly kept and not adorned with anything juvenile like a scrunchy.

A quick sponge application of foundation, a brush stroke of blush, a swath of mascara and lipstick--shouldn't take more than about five minutes. You don't have to use an airbrush every morning. There is no one brand that works for everyone. Even movie stars have different skin types that need to be tested out. You can go to a drugstore or a department store. Drugstores don't offer the benefit of letting you test the products, but then, they are also cheaper, so you aren't out a fortunate if it turns out you don't like it.

And yeah, it's going to come off. Would you want it to not come off easily? Think about it. If it isn't going to come off when you press something like a phone to it, or rub a coffee cup up against it, then what's it going to take to get it off at the end of the day? To keep it looking fresh all day, you need to be 'touching up' throughout the day. Carry a compact and take it with you when you go to the bathroom, and run a quick sponge of powder over your nose, forehead and cheekbones.

And by the way, 'professional appearance' doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to wear makeup. Most times the employer is far more interested in your apparel: suits, or trousers and a dress shirt, not jeans or dungarees.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It sounds like you have an idea that there's some 'law' that if you take time to address your appearance in the morning, that it must take an hour.

I 'do' my hair every morning--it takes fifteen minutes, which is just blow-drying time. And I only do it because I have such incredibly thick hair that if I don't blow-dry it, it will still be wet when the workday is over. There is nothing unprofessional about a ponytail, so long as it is neatly kept and not adorned with anything juvenile like a scrunchy.
I have to give up my scrunchy???????

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
LOL! I have always worn my hair in a ponytail. I have a favorite barrette, use a spritz of hairspray and go. I do not own make up.

Professional appearance has more to do these days with lack of visible body piercings, lack of visible body art, not having purple hair, and taking some common sense into the closet when you get dressed.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
LOL! I have always worn my hair in a ponytail. I have a favorite barrette, use a spritz of hairspray and go. I do not own make up.

Professional appearance has more to do these days with lack of visible body piercings, lack of visible body art, not having purple hair, and taking some common sense into the closet when you get dressed.
That's good news. I am not pierced nor tattooed. As for my closet, well that is a quick fix. But I really want to keep my scrunchy!

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Honey, I am from Long Island, land of the 'painted ladies.' I never took an hour to get ready!

I am more relaxed now I live in Vermont but I still put on make up even if it's just to take my son to school.
I think it takes me all of five minutes. I just had my hair cut again (I was doing the rural pony tail thing).

Get some cover up/concealer that matches your skintone, invest in a little blush, I never use mascara (don't need it), and some lip gloss or lipstick.

You can get a haircut that doesn't take hours to fix.
Being professional is more about looking clean and neat, and 'approachable.' You don't have to wear a ton of makeup to do this.

You don't have to look like either a hooker or a librarian to be professional.

PS Don't chew gum...that is probably the worst sin anyone does that looks 'trashy.'

Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
I live and work in northern NH and I get up and take at least an hour to get ready for work. I cannot imagine going to work with a scrunchy I work with the public and would be mortified if I didn't plan my outfit out right down to my jewelry, scarf, shoes, coat, gloves, and purse. I shower, apply makeup and blowdry then straighten my hair. I have it colored every month....I find it gives me a sense of power on the days I wear boots and heels. If I am working as a cashier I wear flats, but, special ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment