Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 PM

728 posts, read 1,685,494 times

Advertisements

First off, this is the strangest situation I've found myself in regarding workplace behavior. I am a 43 year old guy working as an RN for the Federal govt (VA). Within the past several weeks, a former coworker, who is now in a different clinic within the hospital has come on to the unit and greeted me as "Girl." It's escalated to the point where it's in front of people, and of course it draws a few laughs. I can't stand it, I find it demeaning,and an attempt to humiliate me in front of others. The most recent incident occurred two days ago. Said coworker changed my name on our assignment board to "lil girl." Naturally, I was ready to fly off at this point and went looking for her to lay into her. Of course she had already had gone home

I honestly don't understand the reason for this. I'm a 6'1, 225 lb guy with a family, so I can't really think any shred of me that resembles a female. I have begun to document occurrences and I have someone who will more than likely witness for me if I decide to use the chain of command in management. If it's not resolved by management, I have the option to file an EO complaint, but I'd really prefer to be left alone to do my job without name calling/harassment etc.

If anyone has any experience in this, or could even shed some insight as to why this person wants to carry on with this type of behavior, please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 PM

29,590 posts, read 23,071,522 times
You should have replied back, "boy," or "man."

Fight fire with fire.

And this bit is a bit bothersome:

Quote:
Naturally, I was ready to fly off at this point and went looking for her to lay into her.
I think you may have some underlying issues, no offense, that you need to deal with, if you are going to go seek out and explode on a female co-worker over a little incident such as that. I wonder what you mean by laying into her. That is not cool losing your temper and control over something so trivial.

And going to management with this? Really?

HR is not your friend.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,635,136 times
In this case, report it to nursing union...

Or the harassment officer, forgot the title at moment

Old 10-10-2015, 12:15 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,572,411 times
I personally would find it bothersome and demeaning also. Does she have anything against you? Does she have "pet names" for anyone else? Maybe she was trying to be funny. Maybe you're so masculine it's almost like calling a giant "Tiny". People have weird ways of thinking sometimes. Anyways if you haven't already I'd tell her politely to stop calling you that. If she continues bring it to HR, or whoever you feel most comfortable with. You shouldn't have to put up with that BS because it is harassment if you feel uncomfortable and she knows you feel that way. No excuse for that behavior.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 14,303,351 times
It's not (legally) harassment unless you specifically tell her to stop, and tell her it bothers you, and then it continues.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,962,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You should have replied back, "boy," or "man."

Fight fire with fire.

And this bit is a bit bothersome:

I think you may have some underlying issues, no offense, that you need to deal with, if you are going to go seek out and explode on a female co-worker over a little incident such as that. I wonder what you mean by laying into her. That is not cool losing your temper and control over something so trivial.

And going to management with this? Really?

HR is not your friend.
wait, so you think he's unreasonable for not wanting to be treated this way? he's venting on an online forum.. And to the OP - i would bring this up to your supervisor; if you made a comment that could be considered racist or some other discriminatory term to a female you would be fired in a heart beat. Don't let her get away with this

Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 AM

29,590 posts, read 23,071,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
wait, so you think he's unreasonable for not wanting to be treated this way? he's venting on an online forum.. And to the OP - i would bring this up to your supervisor; if you made a comment that could be considered racist or some other discriminatory term to a female you would be fired in a heart beat. Don't let her get away with this
I see the point that he is offended, everyone is different
But I am disturbed by the way he tried to hunt down the coworker that write in the board. What was he going to do? He is full of hostility and anger.

And as person above mentioned, why doesn't he approach the offenders in a professional manner first instead of being a ticking time bomb

Old 10-10-2015, 08:41 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,215,395 times
first, tell this person to stop but in a non-confrontational way

second, document everything

third bring it to the attention of your nurse manager. he/she can't do anything if they don't know about it. i can't tell you how many times people would bring issues to me stating something had been going on for months. it's hard to stop issues when you don't know about them. employees are very good at keeping their passive-aggressive tendencies in check when managers are around.

fourth, if you get no satisfaction see your steward.

another option is to bring a steward with you when you meet with your nurse manager combining 3 and 4 above.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:29 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,045,093 times
It sucks that people are so afraid of confrontation that they would rather plot some kind of passive-aggressive revenge plot rather than speak constructively. Maybe this coworker thinks you don't mind. Maybe they think you like the joking around. Maybe they're just mean. Who knows?

I'm 100% sure I do things that irritate people (yes, you do too). But how do I know unless they tell me?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:30 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,499,663 times
Sounds like she's sweet on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment