Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:07 PM

927 posts, read 761,192 times

Advertisements

OP: Call her ma'am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,946,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
Im going a different route with this one... ARE YOU KIDIDNG ME?

Shes just messing with you, I wouldve have said " Thats not what your mom used to call me. "
Illicited the Oohs and Aahs and she would be in the position where she has to laugh because if she got offended shed look bad.

I can not believe somebody calling you a girl is getting you this worked up.
it doesn't matter what she called him- the point is that she is making fun of him in the workplace. She is being unprofessional. He does need to tell her to stop- but i agree it should not be in private, witnesses are needed. She has probably done this to others and gotten away with it because others were probably shamed into not saying anything.

If she writes it on a board like that again- take a picture. And try and record her saying it to you. You need proof and i wouldn't count on your coworkers to necessarily speak up for you either if push comes to shove. She's a bully.

And to AF- if the situation was reversed would you be telling a woman that she's getting too worked up? It doesn't matter what gender either person is- but it is at a workplace and unprofessional.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:55 PM

146 posts, read 213,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
it doesn't matter what she called him- the point is that she is making fun of him in the workplace. She is being unprofessional. He does need to tell her to stop- but i agree it should not be in private, witnesses are needed. She has probably done this to others and gotten away with it because others were probably shamed into not saying anything.

If she writes it on a board like that again- take a picture. And try and record her saying it to you. You need proof and i wouldn't count on your coworkers to necessarily speak up for you either if push comes to shove. She's a bully.

And to AF- if the situation was reversed would you be telling a woman that she's getting too worked up? It doesn't matter what gender either person is- but it is at a workplace and unprofessional.
I absolutely would, this is the kind of nonsense ties up work and makes work places miserable.
Nothing the woman told him is egregious in my opinion.
Though I will concede that if op doesn't like being called girl he should speak up.

But to me, this just makes op look extremely sensitive.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:26 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,821,620 times
I worked with a guy who used to call me "easy", as in "easy money", as in, his perceptions were that I didn't work hard. He was a co-worker, not a manager. After awhile, it really got on my nerves. Everybody liked the guy--heck, I liked the guy, but that just rubbed me the wrong way.

So, folks, it really doesn't matter what it is, if one person says it enough, others start to pick it up.

I used to visibly laugh it off or ignore it, but it really wrankled me. I had gotten to the point where I was going to corner him over it and throw down if it came to that. But then, about that time, I saw a friend with a cart full of the guy's desk belongings and him.

As they passed me in the hallway, I started to say something, but the look in both of their eyes' told me better. He just kind of looked at me with teary eyes and said: "Oh, Al. . . " No "easy" or "easy money", just "Oh, Al. . . "

He was dead a month later from pancreatic cancer. Based on his passing response. . . . I guess he really didn't mean it after all. Really glad I didn't throw down. Life's too short.

I don't know what advice to give you though, other than, life's too short to sweat the small stuff. That's all I got.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:40 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,432,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
First off, this is the strangest situation I've found myself in regarding workplace behavior. I am a 43 year old guy working as an RN for the Federal govt (VA). Within the past several weeks, a former coworker, who is now in a different clinic within the hospital has come on to the unit and greeted me as "Girl." It's escalated to the point where it's in front of people, and of course it draws a few laughs. I can't stand it, I find it demeaning,and an attempt to humiliate me in front of others. The most recent incident occurred two days ago. Said coworker changed my name on our assignment board to "lil girl." Naturally, I was ready to fly off at this point and went looking for her to lay into her. Of course she had already had gone home

I honestly don't understand the reason for this. I'm a 6'1, 225 lb guy with a family, so I can't really think any shred of me that resembles a female. I have begun to document occurrences and I have someone who will more than likely witness for me if I decide to use the chain of command in management. If it's not resolved by management, I have the option to file an EO complaint, but I'd really prefer to be left alone to do my job without name calling/harassment etc.

If anyone has any experience in this, or could even shed some insight as to why this person wants to carry on with this type of behavior, please chime in.

Listen little girl, a 6'1, 225 lb guy has the ability to use the right hook, that's why guys like that are not called little girl often.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,096,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
first, tell this person to stop but in a non-confrontational way

second, document everything

third bring it to the attention of your nurse manager. he/she can't do anything if they don't know about it. i can't tell you how many times people would bring issues to me stating something had been going on for months. it's hard to stop issues when you don't know about them. employees are very good at keeping their passive-aggressive tendencies in check when managers are around.

fourth, if you get no satisfaction see your steward.

another option is to bring a steward with you when you meet with your nurse manager combining 3 and 4 above.
This ^^^

Any behavior by another individual which makes you feel uncomfortable is, after you have asked then to stop, defined as Harassment.

Have the conversation in a nice way, and then use the appropriate channels. Do Not go chasing after this woman with a proverbial tire iron. That is only going to get YOU fired.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You need to tell her, the first time you said this, it was funny, but it is not any longer.....
Don't say you thought it was funny the first time. Something so demeaning would never be funny the first time. Shocking is more like it.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:33 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times
Tell her to stop it now and to use your name. Not privately - in front of others.

Say "people call me Mike - you should too".

If it happens again, go to the DNS. (Director of Nursing Services)

Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,006,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This ^^^

Any behavior by another individual which makes you feel uncomfortable is, after you have asked then to stop, defined as Harassment.

So if I ask a coworker to stop chewing with their mouth open and they don't, that's harassment?

Old 10-10-2015, 06:58 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,006,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Tell her to stop it now and to use your name. Not privately - in front of others. )
Yeah, calling out people's mistakes and embarrassing them publicly is the surest way to get them to do what you want.

Make sure you start the conversation with a threat to go to HR as well. While you're at it, throw in a couple of jabs about what a bad person she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment