Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,265,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane1888 View Post
What are my thoughts? The training was poor (almost nonexistent), the coworkers are rude and condescending, the office is in a bad part of town, and the industry is of no interest to me. I find the job depressing and I don't need this paycheck anymore.

Saying that I don't like the work and I'd be glad to stay at the company if they would utilize my skills in a different way. Should I be honest about my feelings and how I plan on doing more, and if they don't give me that opportunity I'll be out the door?
So ... the office is on the bad side of town and you've no interest in this industry?

Do you think your feedback would compel the company to move to a nicer neighborhood and change their industry?
And why would you want to "do more" and "be glad to stay at the company if they would utilize my skills"
if you hated the place?

Some things don't compute. I'm guessing you're a privileged 26 year-old and this is your first job out of college?

Last edited by jaypee; 06-15-2015 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,788,671 times
The value garnered from feedback of an employee is measured based on other factors - such as their level of maturity, how they view themselves, and how they view the company. Based on your posts here, they wouldn't take anything you have to say seriously, so I wouldn't bother telling them what you think.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:25 PM

617 posts, read 674,678 times
You sound like a perfect fit for that employer.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,606,803 times
Quote:
...Has anyone ever taken a wild approach to a performance review and gotten good results? I don't care to waste my youth answering phones and being subservient to a bunch of people I can't stand. I'm fully prepared to learn a "hard" lesson, I have a support net... What would you do?

Coming from a former middle-management boss (before I retired), it sounds like you have an overinflated sense of self-importance. I suspect that a number of co-workers, and maybe even your bosses, would be glad to see you quit or do something to get yourself fired.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:22 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,274,248 times
Any chance this company offers a tuition-reimbursement package for an advanced degree? A bachelor's in biology isn't going to get you much in the way of high pay or big responsibilities. So if this job includes tuition reimbursement, maybe you could suck it up another year or so and leave with much better qualifications for the kind of job you want.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,316,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Any chance this company offers a tuition-reimbursement package for an advanced degree? A bachelor's in biology isn't going to get you much in the way of high pay or big responsibilities. So if this job includes tuition reimbursement, maybe you could suck it up another year or so and leave with much better qualifications for the kind of job you want.
She has a degree?

Wow...

Old 06-15-2015, 05:38 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,635,136 times
Quote:
There's no solid training whatsoever, and they quickly get pissed off at you for not knowing how to do weird things.
I thought your job was to assemble chairs... isn't a demonstrating it a few times enough for that? They aren't spaceship chairs or anything...

Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,692,443 times
Be honest, but tactful. You never know when a future employer will call this company for a job reference.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:50 PM

9,566 posts, read 5,694,029 times
Quote:
Been with this company 9 months and I really don't like my job at all. The work is mundane, mind-numbing, and far below my skill level. I paid off my student loans and I have enough saved up to live for a year, so I've gotten to the point where I don't care that much. I'm thinking about taking an insanity wolf approach to this performance review.

We have a form to fill out with a section for "thoughts about the company." What are my thoughts? The training was poor (almost nonexistent), the coworkers are rude and condescending, the office is in a bad part of town, and the industry is of no interest to me. I find the job depressing and I don't need this paycheck anymore. I have a 4 year degree in biology and I'm pretty much a glorified secretary for a bunch of people getting paid 6x as much as me who don't appreciate my hard work.

Yes, I work very hard and go far beyond the job description.

I have a vacation in July, I have enough to live on for a while, and I really don't care. Is there a chance an "insanity" approach to this performance review could be beneficial? I don't mean screaming and acting like a fool, I mean being blunt and speaking my mind. Saying that I don't like the work and I'd be glad to stay at the company if they would utilize my skills in a different way. Should I be honest about my feelings and how I plan on doing more, and if they don't give me that opportunity I'll be out the door?

Most importantly, should I tell them I plan on going back to school? At the moment I don't have any solid plans, but it's certainly in the cards.

Has anyone ever taken a wild approach to a performance review and gotten good results? I don't care to waste my youth answering phones and being subservient to a bunch of people I can't stand. I'm fully prepared to learn a "hard" lesson, I have a support net... What would you do?
Don't do it! Everything follows you now. If this was 20 years ago? I would say go for it and I have been in that "*********" attitude with jobs before I actually got a career that I love. Don't risk your future job prospects because you are PO'ed!

the blurted out ***** Stars was s c r e w y o u ! attitude!

Old 06-15-2015, 06:32 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,325,307 times
Quote:
Honestly I -am- in a position to make demands from them if they want to retain me.

You do understand they probably have a big stack of Resumes from people MORE qualified than you.

Go ahead do as you plan, get fired while torching a very big bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment