Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,777,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Why would a company compete for workers when changes in technology and procedures are cheaper?
That's another reason. At some point govt need to figure out how to keep people employed or paid so people have purposes. Otherwise riots are going to be more frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,570,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's another reason. At some point govt need to figure out how to keep people employed or paid so people have purposes. Otherwise riots are going to be more frequent.
and why is it the govt's job? Wasn't govt there to keep people safe and "orderly"? That doesn't really include "paying" them off... They could always stop riots like in the robocop movie

Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 PM

616 posts, read 647,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Do you have any sort of study on this or are you just speculating?
actually there are studies that show both correct and incorrect
People believe what they want to hear

Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 PM

1,136 posts, read 927,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Wasn't govt there to keep people safe and "orderly"?
Not everyone shares that opinion.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:03 AM

581 posts, read 666,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
apparently, all business have unlimited funds and can pay employees $25/hr minimum...however all busines owners are greedy and must.fatten.pockets

and then there is that money tree that grows in back of the building
I don't care. I just got a new job that will suit my needs for as long as I need it to. Minimum wage SHOULD go up. If the employers can't keep up with that, then they either need to do the work themselves or go out of business. I have no sympathy for those who want to pay people a paltry living wage. WHO can live on $8 an hour??

Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 AM

174 posts, read 218,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
I don't care. I just got a new job that will suit my needs for as long as I need it to. Minimum wage SHOULD go up. If the employers can't keep up with that, then they either need to do the work themselves or go out of business. I have no sympathy for those who want to pay people a paltry living wage. WHO can live on $8 an hour??
More people can live on $8 an hour than $0 an hour. You think all of these employees are better off being unemployed rather than making minimum wage and gaining experience, just because certain employers can afford to pay higher?

No one should plan their life just on making minimum wage for their whole career. Most people don't, and most people increased their income by gaining valuable skills, rather than increasing their income because of periodic government mandates.

If its so easy being an employer that pays high wages, why doesn't everyone become self employed and pay themselves as much as they want? If all the minimum wage employees moved on to something better, these minimum wage employers would go out of business naturally.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,176,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Many costs have gone up thus companies have tried to trim labor costs
There, I fixed it for ya.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,274,839 times
If you're paying your workers so low that they qualify for food stamps, your business plan is not viable.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
Minimum wage SHOULD go up. If the employers can't keep up with that, then they either need to do the work themselves or go out of business. I have no sympathy for those who want to pay people a paltry living wage. WHO can live on $8 an hour??
smh...

If employers could do all the work themselves, they would. The whole reason people are hired is because there is more labor to be done than one person can do by him/herself.

Employers don't pay people to live, they pay them to do work. In simplest terms, employers purchase labor from employees. One's cost of living is NONE of their employer's business.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If you're paying your workers so low that they qualify for food stamps, your business plan is not viable.
By that line of thinking, should workers with children be paid more than childless workers who do the exact same work, with the same skills/experience/certifications (or lack thereof)?

If so, then why should the employer be expected to pay for the life choices made by the employee, choices over which the employer had no input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment