Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Cutting rungs from the bottom of the ladder just makes it harder to get on the ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
college grads dont work fast food

many work in retail though
Which is a shame because you don't need a degree to work or move up in retail. The whole point of going to college is so that you don't have to work in crappy retail and fast food jobs.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Turn OFF FAUX NEWS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The title pretty much makes the point; for every whiny child making $7.50/hr flipping burgers and mopping floors, there are two or three people who have already worked their way halfway up the ladder. If you ever managed to schmooze a few half-literate politicians into doubling your pay, do you think the rest of us, who've already "paid our dues" are going to be content joining you and yours back on the bottom of the economic dungheap?

A proportionate raise for someone already working at $12/hr would raise their base pay to $24/hr; that works out to $960/wk, or just a little under $50K/yr -- which is a lot less than most teachers, or office workers earn. (And don't forget that those individuals often have to furnish the trappings of their careers, such as more-expensive clothing, at their own expense; and might face pressure to work more than the usual 40-hour week while limitd to a straight salary). .

Oh yeah, we know; you think your employer has a huge vault full of money -- somewhere -- from which he/she can satisfy all your fantasies without raising the prices paid by the rest of us.

It's time to grow up.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
MY BS Meter is off the scale on this one.. so post where you live interesting you hide that ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Minimum wages at t he bottom, are mostly in certain parts of the country. In many others, those so called minimum wage jobs pay higher.

In our part of the world, they start part time high school kids at $10 and after a training period they are pulling down $12. Adults that can work any hours are pulling down $14 an hour and get raises if they stay around. Everywhere you look, you see help wanted signs in all types of businesses.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
MY BS Meter is off the scale on this one.. so post where you live interesting you hide that ..
While I do not know where oldtrader lives, there are areas were his post is very true. Even in a college town with plenty of college kids running around looking for a job, I recently saw a street sign with a fast food joint offering $10 an hour to start.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
While I do not know where oldtrader lives, there are areas were his post is very true. Even in a college town with plenty of college kids running around looking for a job, I recently saw a street sign with a fast food joint offering $10 an hour to start.
That is true which is why I don't agree with a high federal minimum wage. If the cities and/or states want to raise the minimum wage beyond that, that's great. There are fast food chains that do offer $10 an hour and even fast casual can do that but not all do. In & Out is one of these chains that do but because they do don't mean McDonald's, Burger King, A&W, Wendy's, Hardee's/Carl Jr.'s, Rally's/Checker's, etc. do either.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
There's the magic word that made me disregard your opinion.

Furloughed... as in you have an entitled job that no one in the private job can relate to. Congratulations, you're in a special class all your own. Reality is that for those of us who will never be "furloughed" because we work in the real world(aka private sector) and when business goes south, you get fired because why would anyone pay an employee when they're losing money?

Only a government employee would think that money can magically appear...

You call it getting "furloughed" but everyone in the real world calls it getting either "laid off" or "fired." Count yourself lucky that you are in such a privileged class that you get to say the word "furloughed."
The employer in question belongs to the private sector; it has a seasonally-skewed business cycle. It can be fairly demanding from a physical standpoint, so older employees are usually chosen for slack-season layoffs. It can do this precisely because BigBrother/Sister keep their noses out of what is exclusively a private matter.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
If I was a business owner that hired low wage employees and was told that I would need to increase their pay by a large margin I would be looking to find ways to get rid of the employees. A machine can take an order as well as a person can. I only have to buy the machine once and maintain it.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
Even if the fast food workers wage goes up to $15 an hour, the companies will just fire half (or more) of it's workforce. These protesters can't see even an inch into the future.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If I was a business owner that hired low wage employees and was told that I would need to increase their pay by a large margin I would be looking to find ways to get rid of the employees. A machine can take an order as well as a person can. I only have to buy the machine once and maintain it.
... and watch your customer traffic fall like a rock. Many people enjoy interfacing with another human being when doing business. If there was a workerless restaurant where robots took orders, prepared food and served you, it would be a boring and lifeless experience. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment