Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What days is your employer closing for Christmas and New Years this year (2014). Select all that ap
Monday, Dec. 22, 2014 3 3.13%
Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2014 6 6.25%
Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014 41 42.71%
Thursday, Dec. 25, 2014 94 97.92%
Friday, Dec. 26, 2014 39 40.63%
Monday, Dec. 29, 2014 16 16.67%
Tuesdsay, Dec. 30, 2014 18 18.75%
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014 33 34.38%
Thursday, Jan. 1, 2015 83 86.46%
Friday, Jan. 2, 2015 20 20.83%
Other days not listed 2 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,313,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Law firm.

We only get Christmas Day off. Christmas Eve, we usually have to stay past our regular time.

New Year's Day only. Same thing New Year's Eve -- boss has no life so he keeps us here longer.

We don't get vacation days or PTO.

It should be interesting this year -- the building turns off the heat on Wednesday, December 24 at 2:00 and won't turn it back on until Monday the 29th. . We pay extra $50 a day to keep the lights on during this period.
No offense intended, but this sounds like an awful place to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,176,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Law firm.

We only get Christmas Day off. Christmas Eve, we usually have to stay past our regular time.

New Year's Day only. Same thing New Year's Eve -- boss has no life so he keeps us here longer.

We don't get vacation days or PTO.

It should be interesting this year -- the building turns off the heat on Wednesday, December 24 at 2:00 and won't turn it back on until Monday the 29th. . We pay extra $50 a day to keep the lights on during this period.
Do you work for Scrooge and Cratchett, LLP?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:56 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,208,536 times
We are closed December 24th - January 1st with pay
We reopen on January 2nd, I might take that day off if I go out of town.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:19 PM

15,908 posts, read 21,604,749 times
We're closed December 24 and reopen on January 5. Because we are limited as to how many vacation days we can carry over, many people burn days to lengthen the break. For instance, my last day is Thursday and I will be out until the 5th. All paid - and because so many people take off next Monday and Tuesday, often bosses let their workers slip out early.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 PM

13,172 posts, read 21,292,587 times
With the number of employees who I assume will be traveling, have family visiting, or have other needs during this time of year, many will want time off, others will have stress over their needs that can't be accommodated, and overall work flow will be disrupted, SO, I made the decision to eliminate the company's winter retreat early next year (will have only one during the late spring) and give everyone off. Some in management have agreed to come in to hold the fort down for emergencies. We will close at 4pm 12/19/14 and not reopen until 7am 1/5/15. Truth is what work do I really need to be done during that time when so many clients and vendor will also be close?

It's so much easier to just let everyone have off; no need to deal with PTOs, or scheduling conflicts, or some employee's great grandma who popped in suddenly and may not live to the weekend, and what the heck, less stress for me also. Since I planned this ahead of time, I already budgeted everyone's wages into the mix, so it's no big deal. Sometimes a business owner just has to look at the benefits instead of just the expense. I know I will have a much happier workforce come the new year -not to mention a whole load of 'homemade' fruitcakes!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 PM

527 posts, read 713,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
With the number of employees who I assume will be traveling, have family visiting, or have other needs during this time of year, many will want time off, others will have stress over their needs that can't be accommodated, and overall work flow will be disrupted, SO, I made the decision to eliminate the company's winter retreat early next year (will have only one during the late spring) and give everyone off. Some in management have agreed to come in to hold the fort down for emergencies. We will close at 4pm 12/19/14 and not reopen until 7am 1/5/15. Truth is what work do I really need to be done during that time when so many clients and vendor will also be close?

It's so much easier to just let everyone have off; no need to deal with PTOs, or scheduling conflicts, or some employee's great grandma who popped in suddenly and may not live to the weekend, and what the heck, less stress for me also. Since I planned this ahead of time, I already budgeted everyone's wages into the mix, so it's no big deal. Sometimes a business owner just has to look at the benefits instead of just the expense. I know I will have a much happier workforce come the new year -not to mention a whole load of 'homemade' fruitcakes!
All I want to say is God Bless You! We need more people like you who are smart and value family/work balance!

What company do you work for that I could apply too if it's nationally?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,021,146 times
None. My business is 24/7/365. Thursday and Friday of Christmas week will be paid at double time, so will new years day.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:37 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,523,606 times
Here is something I always thought that was funny. We had a former Director that had worked here for years. He retired after 51 years of service to the hospital. Life for him was working here at the Hospital.

On holidays he would let us know that we were going to be going home early. I remember one year he let us go home 15 minutes early on Christmas eve. LOL (That was always his idea of going home eaerly.)

Another year I was working on a medical building that happened to be empty as everyone had allready left for the day. Infact I don't even think anyone worked that Christmas eve in the medical building. I decided to get some service work on some doors and had several down. I could not leave the building because I could not lock it up till I was done.

We get a call on the radio an hour and a half before we are scheduled to end our shift. He tells us if we want to go home we can. I mentioned that I had to stay because of the work I was doing. Another guy was in our boiler room and never heard the call. LOL. At the end of the shift it was just me and this other guy. He asked where everyone went and I told him that we were told an hour and a half ago that we could leave if we wanted to. The look on his face was classic, he said all these years of not leaving early and now they let us go on the day that he had to service something in the Boiler room. Then he told me that he was just hanging out there and didn't want to work because it was Christmas Eve. I told him, well you certainly showed them. LOL

Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM

15 posts, read 13,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Where do you work???
Live entertainment industry.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Status: "Democracies tend to decline into despotism. (Aristotle)" (set 7 days ago)

16,227 posts, read 11,449,961 times
I work in "high-demand" distribution -- a warehouse that ships out mostly in parcels, so we are completely closed for only a very short time on Christmas and New Years eves, and probably all of Christmas Day. Last year, we retarted at 6 PM on January 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment