Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Using that logic, why should an applicant care how much red tape there is in your hiring process when they're waiting on a response about their application or interview?

I know the knee-jerk reaction will be "well the applicant is the one who needs the job...," but it just goes to show the double standard that exists in these exchanges.
I don't think an applicant should care. Why would they? If my company decided they weren't going to pay me this month because the HR mgr was in some kind of personal pickle I would not give two shyts. And neither would my mortgage holder.

I really don't understand your attitude when it comes to employment. Do you want employers to play mommy and daddy? People need to grow up and pull up their big boy pants if they have any plans on succeeding in their careers. No, nobody is going to care that you're tired, don't feel well, are having a bad day. You do what needs to be done or you are passed - from either direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Completely disagree with you on that one.
I always send a thank you email to the people that have interviewed me and it has ALWAYS worked in my favor. I think it demonstrates courtesy, thoughtfulness and a certain decorum about the person. It shows me the person is genuinely interested in the position and has a touch of class, which is always nice.

Of the past three positions I've had I've always sent a thank-you note... and have always gotten a response such as "it was good meeting you, I think you'd make a great addition to the team".... or something along those lines.... It also allows u to gauge their interest in you.... Let's say u send a thank you note and get no response....perhaps that means something ie, u may not be selected.

Always send a thank-you note, people. It CANNOT hurt anything it can only help. Only takes a few short minutes too.
Same here! My Supervisor just hired an Assistant Account Executive to join our team and she has the girl's nicely written, hard copy, thank you note sitting on her desk. My Supervisor said she was most likely going to hire her anyway, however, that thoughtful detail just sealed the deal. The girl will be starting next week.

TBH, all of my thank yous were via email, and I assume hand-written thank you emails are ideal. I definitely do not think any Thank You is a waste of time. That interviewer took time out of their busy schedule to interview you. You need to thank them accordingly.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I really don't understand your attitude when it comes to employment.
Please forgive me for believing in doing what's morally right by others.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Please forgive me for believing in doing what's morally right by others.
No you don't. You believe in doing what's ideal for you and other employees (really unemployees or underemployees) who hold similar positions. There is nothing moral about that. It's inherently selfish. But, that is neither here nor there. Many are only going to hurt themselves along the way and in turn complain to each other about it. What good that does I don't know.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
You believe in doing what's ideal for you and other employees (really unemployees or underemployees) who hold similar positions.
And when did I say that?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He yawned repeatedly, you don't see that as a faux pas during a job interview??
No. Maybe he is working nights while searching for a better position? Maybe he was up all night with a migraine? The interviewer did not ask why and chose to make an ignorant assumption as to why.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:52 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Why should an interviewer care what's going on in their lives? When I was 14 years old working at Roy Rogers I complained at a shift meeting that A, B, and C was going on in my life and that's why mgt should let whatever go. The GM told me that he was sorry I had etc going on, but it wasn't his problem. He was right and that was a lesson learned as a kid. How this lesson is foreign to grown adults I don't get.

There is no reason a person cannot hide the fact that they're yawning while doing a phone interview. It's a weird thing to do.
I had several interviews where the interviewer(s) were yawning. So I should call them on it? Come on.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
But the person said it was because they've been up late a lot lately.

People yawn a lot when they don't get enough sleep, it's normal. You don't know what could be going on in their lives. So it was a silly reason to reject them.
It doesn't matter. Just like a first date, you put forth your best self in an interview. The employer couldn't care less why you're tired, in fact he may wonder how you'll stay awake on the job if you can barely make it through an interview without multiple yawns. If one candidate is enthusiastic and appears motivated and energetic, and the other equally qualified yawns and sounds bored, which one would you hire?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Had an incident Monday when I was interviewing a graphic designer for a slot. The portfolio he sent was pretty good. Not brilliant, but good. Mind you, I'm pretty open minded in a lot of ways. But let me describe the guy:

- Jeans with holes in them
- Unwashed hair
- Old flannel shirt
- Discussed how fickle his ex-employers were
- Had no résumé
- Arrived five minutes late
- It's Friday and still no acknowledgement of the interview. No thank-you note. Not even an e-mail.

Mind you, this was an extreme case, but it illustrates something that I've noticed a good deal: The people in life who I've heard complain the most about their lack of upward mobility in the professional world also tend to be the same people who don't take care of the little things in how they present themselves.

Let's not kid ourselves. You might be good at your job. But so is the next person in line to be interviewed. And the person after that. And the person after that. And an employer isn't just looking for someone who can knock out the work, but can be taken to a meeting and can be trusted to talk to a client and has some basic people skills.

If you can't be bothered to look sharp for a job interview, then when will you? If you can't exercise basic courtesies towards a person who could potentially give you a good salary and a fulfilling work environment, when's that going to happen?

Hey, I'm not talking three piece suits here. I'm not talking about some arcane code of conduct. I'm just talking about the fundamentals.

I won't be hiring this guy, despite the fact that his portfolio wasn't bad. This guy showed me that he could do the work, but didn't show me that he could function in either an office or in the presence of the client. And when I don't hire him, he'll wonder why he didn't get the job.
What, pray tell, are the fundamentals? There's no training course on work-place etiquette, really. You can get a few helpful hints from books, but they aren't applicable to every situation; common sense isn't common if you've never encountered anything like it to work off of. Some people have honestly never been trained for a formal setting. Plus, different cultures have different expectations of what is "normal" and "appropriate." It took me a long time to figure it out, and it still confuses me a little. Why should I wear a black suit to an interview if it makes me look like I don't know anything about clothes? Why can't I wear colors that flatter my skin tone and shape? The shoulder pads on most traditional blazers make me look too boxy, for example. Plus, I've followed most of the rules and still have not landed a job. I've arrived early, dressed sharply, brought my resume, and sent a follow-up thank-you email, still no job! Did it help? I don't know.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
No. Maybe he is working nights while searching for a better position? Maybe he was up all night with a migraine? The interviewer did not ask why and chose to make an ignorant assumption as to why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
I had several interviews where the interviewer(s) were yawning. So I should call them on it? Come on.
This is actually a perfect example of an abuse of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment