Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You are so correct! Companies will "claim" they love to hire people 50+ for the experience/skills they bring to the workplace. But, in reality, they want the youngin's so that they can pay a lower salary, and mainly to "mold" the young person into their idea of the perfect "social" employee.
People over 50 tend to have more illnesses and to be less open to change than younger people are. Also, many managers who are in their 30s or early 40s are not comfortable bossing somebody that is old enough to be their own father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM

143 posts, read 651,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I guess no one thinks it's ethical to take the job until a better one comes along.
But somehow its ethical to stay on unemployment when you have a valid job offer, and your finances are in good order, as the OP stated? I wonder if the Unemployment Office knows about the job offer.

I guess there is such a thing as a free lunch.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
i think you should play it safe and take the job but continue to look for one that "feels right". plus, this job could actually end up being to your liking if you give it a chance.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I would wait if it doesn't feel right. It's too stressful to have to change jobs later on if it doesn't work out, plus it looks bad on your resume.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
I would take the job. Even if it's not exactly what you are looking for, it puts you back into the working world, which just makes you think and feel more professional, which adds to your confidence immediately and also makes you more marketable at the same time.

And, who knows, you may luck out and really like it... or may be able to use it as a stepping-stone opportunity to get into a position at the same company that you'd really like better. At the same time, I'd also continue to look at any other opportunities out there that might be of interest and I, personally, would have no qualms whatsoever of taking up a better offer if it came along. IMO, whoever isn't doing this already in this day and time, isn't dealing with reality... who else is going to look after number one if you aren't?

You have a good 15 years of working life ahead of you, so make the most of it! And, don't let these kiddo's fool you... I'm older than you are... and only wish that I could take on half the jobs offered to me. If you have marketable skills and experience, adapt to change readily, you are and will continue to be in demand!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is a hard choice after 50. Nobody wants to hire people that old except Wal*Mart when they need a greeter.
LoL, great one KevK! I'm laughing all the way to the bank everyday... making four times what the younger ones are... and NOT from my job at Wal*Mart... I'll do that AFTER I retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
People over 50 tend to have more illnesses and to be less open to change than younger people are. Also, many managers who are in their 30s or early 40s are not comfortable bossing somebody that is old enough to be their own father.
It makes me wonder just how young you are, because if you had any experience... at all... in the working world, you would know that the most stable, most productive and most attentive workers are the senior workers in today's market. They are the ones that an employer can count on being there... day in and day out... without all the distractions common to the younger workforce, i.e., relationships, marriages, divorces, children, financial troubles, etc. They've done all of that already. When they come to work, they're there to work. And, if they're still out there in the working force today, they're the very ones that have proven themselves to be the most readily adaptable to any change that comes along.

You have a lot to learn, my friend. You might start by learning to be less age discriminatory! Who knows, you might find out that some of these "old geezers" actually know a thing or two that just might be beneficial to you... just as I find this younger group having a wealth of intelligence and creativity I enjoy tapping into!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM

265 posts, read 814,043 times
Default Well said!

Thank you, new2sa, for stating facts, instead of reinforcing old, outdated stereotypes!!!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,220 times
reject it and enjoy your life.since you have no finance pressure, why not find a good job and work more happily? after all work is part of life, painful job will destroy your life.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:22 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I was 41 when I was laid off after being a software engineer for nearly 18 years. I saw it coming and encouraged it. I was incredibly bored and didn't see myself as a 50 year old software engineer. I had another job lined up, but something wasn't right. I thought it would be more of the same and working would prevent me from really exploring my options. I declined and took 6 months off to do some serious soul searching. I discovered that becoming a lawyer was better suited for me. Best decision I ever made. It's a field that places value on age, intelligence, and experience, especially in the patent law area. Had I taken that job after the layoff, I would still be spinning my wheels, stuck in limbo, and feeling far from fulfilled.

It's hard to explore new, more suitable and beneficial opportunities when you're working full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment