Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,424,744 times

Advertisements

Last week he signed a 3 year contract for a job in Kazakhstan for his desired salary. Today their currency has been devalued by almost 20%. His salary in his contract was in the local currency. He doesn't start till the end of August. I told him to give the employer the chance to adjust his salary and issue a new salary as I'm sure he is not the only employee in this situation. (new university trying to expand rapidly). What other option does he have?

Thank you. BTW he is in a very narrow field and feels this job was very important for his career growth. Itg's not like there are lots of opportunities waiting for him to be picky about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,022,527 times
Sounds like a dumb move to sign a contract like that. Contract is probably not enforceable from this country though.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,037,616 times
Considering cost of living is very cheap there (I am assuming), he'd do well to just take it. My friend works at a University in Iraq and I feel like her pay equates to roughly $4 grand a month here, but there she says the money goes a long way. I believe they also pay for her housing and other costs.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,571,968 times
Your situation is so unique few if any are qualified to offer advice. Here is my nickel's worth......I agree with you, they spent good money finding him, so now he has some leverage, use it. If his raise is lower than than their recruitment costs he has a chance.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,519,088 times
He won't have luck on this. The salary is based on market. Same as my US salary, I get stated wages, my employer does not adjust my salary based on market fluctuations.

I suggest, he just take the offer, after all, maybe the market will change, and his salary will be higher!

Seriously, sometimes, it makes sense to take a lower paying job, to gain a network, be able to work on research projects, get published more quickly. This is bank for future in his field.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 AM

249 posts, read 426,896 times
Since he'll be living in Kazakhstan, you probably won't get far trying to complain about what the salary would be worth in US dollars.

I'm in the same boat; here in Japan the government has devalued the yen by over 30% since mid-2012, and this is a rich, first-world country. Salary and all accumulated savings all plummeting if I were to go back to the US.

One consolation is that his US savings that he'll be spending to get himself set up in Kazakhstan should buy him 20% more stuff. Tell your son to treat himself to some luxuries while he's still spending dollars before his salary comes in!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 AM

n/a posts
Depends on the contract...

But, if it was agreed that he'd be paid in currency x....then an adjustment in wages due to its decline won't happen.

Think of it in reverse....should the currency have gone up would the employer be justified in reducing his wages?

Same logic applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment