Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Wages aren't the problem, it's hyperinflation.

Hopefully it doesn't get to where you need a billion dollars to buy a loaf of bread like people needed in Zimbabwe.

The difference is that at least people were paid hundreds of millions of dollars in Zimbabwe. If we had that type of hyperinflation here do you think wages would rise? Nope, not at all.
We don't have hyperinflation right now. Inflation has been quite low here in the US for the past several years.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
We don't have hyperinflation right now. Inflation has been quite low here in the US for the past several years.
You sure?

Inflation? Only If You Look At Food, Water, Gas, Electricity And Everything Else

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Judging by the name of that blog, it's not worth clicking.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Judging by the name of that blog, it's not worth clicking.
That's fine. It' entirely up to you to keep your head in the sand about the facts.

For those who do care about the facts:

(and before a moderator deletes this chart for copyright infringement)

Using Our Charts

Quote:
ShadowStats.com gives you permission to re-publlsh any charts on our website except for subscription-only material*. All use is subject to the terms and conditions set out on this page. If you have any special requirements, please contact us.
Quote:
Webmasters, Bloggers and Forum Posters

Provide a link to shadowstats.com. This may be done with a separate text link or use the image itself.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You have a lot of adults working such jobs today. The largest job growth have been in low wage service sector jobs.
It's good that you've identified this problem... We should focus on solving this problem. Not arbitrarily raising minimum wage to something that makes no sense.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's good that you've identified this problem... We should focus on solving this problem. Not arbitrarily raising minimum wage to something that makes no sense.
The problem with focusing on solving the problem is that you have 300+ million Americans who seem to disagree on the solutions.

As a result, while we're busy debating over which solutions are the best and should be implemented, the problem continues to fester.

As John F. Kennedy aptly put it, "There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction."

Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I’m very glad I’m not a high school kid in Seattle these days. With wages andunemployment high, there will be little opportunity to get a job and earn myself some spending money because I’m not yet capable of producing $15 worth of work in an hour; consequently no work experience to put on my resume when I do get a chance at a job.

And Old-Economy-Steve Mom and Dad will be telling me to "just get yourself out there" and “pound the pavement” because “there are always jobs” and calling me a lazy sluggard because I can’t find work.

But at least the politicians can feel good about themselves!
This post right just shows the ignorance some people have when discussing these topics. The unemployment rate is 4% in the city of Seatle among the lowest in the nation. Want to try again, this time with something more informed. ?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 AM

864 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Disagree 5% is very low, unless its a grocery store.
Yes, according to the statistics it's actually closer to 10-15% depending on your business, but I also think people underestimate the amount of small business failures versus profitable sustainable businesses. According to the SBA stats, 3 out of 10 businesses don't make it out of their 1st year, and 5 out of 10 don't make it past year 4.

The overall point was correct though. A $15 minimum wage is going to make it more difficult for small businesses to survive in that environment.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
How are they exploiting anyone? Businesses offer a certain job for a certain pay. It is up the to employee to accept the job or not. If they think they are being exploited, why would they accept the job?
They accept the job because wages in general are pushed down right now, and this is leading to a lot of underemployed or unemployed people in the market looking for anything.

It's supply and demand, and business has figured out EXACTLY the rate at which SUPPLY can be controlled to keep wages down. All of those in the jobs they made more at along with more of them, are now making less.

6% unemployment will be as low as we ever see in this country again.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Yes, according to the statistics it's actually closer to 10-15% depending on your business, but I also think people underestimate the amount of small business failures versus profitable sustainable businesses. According to the SBA stats, 3 out of 10 businesses don't make it out of their 1st year, and 5 out of 10 don't make it past year 4.

The overall point was correct though. A $15 minimum wage is going to make it more difficult for small businesses to survive in that environment.
Pass the cost along to your customers. Customers won't pay? Then they don't really want or need your service/product, and your business is no longer viable or essential. Those 15.00 employees will need to go elsewhere to work.

We have a habit in America of promoting failure. This just breeds discontent and poor performance. It's time to demand better of each other, and to expect to be compensated for it. We have been "cheaping out" a lot lately (the Wal Mart effect) and nothing good has come from it. Inflation was steadily low for a while, but eventually, that is now coming home to roost.

So low wages + and the cost of everything now climbing = disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment