Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,809,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Yes we know how you would defend yourself.

"Hey stop hitting me. It says in the employee hand book that kicking someone in the head can get you written up!" LOL
No, I'd kick their ass.

As I would hypothetically be the victim, the company can't fire me or write me up for using self-defense (if the bully strikes me first). If they did (or tried to), I'd sue them.

If some "good samaritan" wants to join in and help me while putting their job on the line, good for them.

In any event, it's not about how others would handle their own situation, but how the OP handled the situation they faced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,658,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post

Stop making America soft people, this is why the country is degrading into chaos. People who bully, or engage in thievery should be punished, not coddled.

This point got looked over. I agree 100% with this

But sadly many of them are coddled and kept on their jobs.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,178 times
Report it and let the management handle it but make a note of what happened in case something happens in the future, you can site it as a recurring problem that is not being dealt with You can site it as a distraction from being able to work in a safe environment. Is this a hostile environment? Is there a pattern here and it's not recognized by management or has it not been reported until this escalated situation. You should have said nothing but reported it as a distraction to your rights to be in a bully free environment free from hostility and repercussions for reporting or reprisal.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masb7611 View Post
Is this a hostile environment? Is there a pattern here and it's not recognized by management or has it not been reported until this escalated situation. You should have said nothing but reported it as a distraction to your rights to be in a bully free environment free from hostility and repercussions for reporting or reprisal.
That is my point exactly. Why has this person been allowed to have been a bully in the first place? I don't care if they "might" have been afraid of what he would do. Excuses doesn't solve the problem. The point is WHY has it been allowed up to this point? Management should have done something long ago. You just don't allow problems like bullying to fester.

Management in this case should be the ones to get the pink slip.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,391,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Actually, the OP never provided the timeline. I asked several pages back in order to provide some fairness to the OP, but so far, we don't know if it was a heat of the moment reaction or if the "let's step outside" was the OP's way of acting tough.

As an employer, incident like these can never be taken in a vacuum. We can't just set a rule and follow it without examining the events. The initial aggressor will be held accountable for their actions, and the response of the victim will be examined. Others will need to show some immediate need since most times it’s not an immediate heat of the moment response but rather some "Me Macho Man" response.

The OP needs to explain the timing of all this.
It WAS a heat of the moment reaction. Soon as I saw this I stepped up. Two other ppl got in between and separated us. I gotta admit, I was ready to swing. By not doing so, I keep my job. The assailant was fired, I found out, and when bailed out of jail was given a RO (Restraining Order): if ever found on the premises, he goes right back to jail.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It WAS a heat of the moment reaction. Soon as I saw this I stepped up. Two other ppl got in between and separated us. I gotta admit, I was ready to swing. By not doing so, I keep my job. The assailant was fired, I found out, and when bailed out of jail was given a RO (Restraining Order): if ever found on the premises, he goes right back to jail.

Good. As he should have been. And probably long before this incident.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 PM

9,844 posts, read 11,674,562 times
Please understand in the future that it is a place business,Not the Streets.
You can't act like that.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,600,165 times
A while back at a place I worked, one morning two guys had a fight in the elevator on the way up. They were both fired by lunch.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,050,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
The other day I saw a co-worker punched by a bully co-worker. Well, I HATE bullies and the assault was reported, but then I in my anger stepped up and challenged the bully to "step outside and see me!" Now, my boss, and my boss's boss, put me on blast. How the hell could this be when I was NOT the one who caused the problem?
Sounds about right. Now you are a liability and will likely be let go. it may not happen tomorrow and it won't be directly linked to this event, but it will be behind the decision.

I just don't get people who can't control their temper and always resort to violence. It will never end well and its a weak spot that other people can take advantage of to get a reaction from you.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM

709 posts, read 660,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No you wouldn't. Self defense usually heads to no charges in the US.

You're scenario does not relate to this thread at all. No one was assaulting the op.
People are empowered to use force to defend people other than themselves. You know this, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment