Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,261,178 times

Advertisements

When I worked in public accounting I once had a partner who would rail on any and everyone's work if they solved something or did a workpaper differently than he could comprehend or understand. Basically if you thought differently than him, it was considered wrong and everyone hated having work reviewed by him.

After years of enduring this one day he kept criticizing me about formatting something in descending order versus ascending that he preferred. I stood up for myself. He became enraged and threw a bankers wallet of working papers at me cursing me (him 5'10, me 6'3 former athlete weight lifter). I didn't think and just reacted yanking him out of his chair and planting him against the wall by his shirt collar and shoulders. I told him that if he ever threw anything at me again or insulted me with words like that, I would be putting him through the wall he was against.

No police involved, problem solved between men, and I stayed there another year or two before moving on to bigger and better things.

In a workplace you either deal with a bully personally or stay out of it. Do not go and be someone elses hero!! Companies love to find all sorts of reasons to fire people these days, so don't make it any easier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,658,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
The person who was punched should go down and fill out a complaint with the local police. If it happens again, punch or threats, make another complaint to the company and the police and possibly sue the employer for allowing such an atmosphere. When you have maniacs coming to work and gunning people down, workplace violence is nothing to play around with unless the company feels like they are qualified to take on this liability. Of course, they will be sued.
Exactly trishguard. This sounds like a toxic environment to begin with seeing as how management hasn't done anything before this incident.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,316,365 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I shouldn't be surprised that people think that calling someone outside is the proper thing to do in the workplace, but I am.

The fact that the OP's story changed doesn't help matters. I think that the conflict was over and he escalated the situation.

Anyway, I hope that he learned his lesson.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-25-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,723,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Why do men always have to settle things with their fists rather than their brains?
It's not all men. Only those who can't win arguments with their brains.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yep, but the OP is now claiming it was in the "heat of the moment". I was hoping they stated the exact timing, but that could make them no longer the hero but just another hot-head.
Isn't he stating this, though, based on your question earlier in the thread which reads:

Quote:
Iin fairness to you, exactly what was the time frame from incident between bully and co-worker to the time you "stepped up"? Are we talking 2 seconds, 4 seconds, a minute, 2 minutes????????? If it was a heat of the moment (seconds) response more to defuse the situation, there is some mitigating factors involved and you need to express that to your employer, BUT, if this was after thinking about it, you need to step up and accept that you were wrong and deserve what happened.
The passage you took from the op's original post which you quoted was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24
The other day I saw a co-worker punched by a bully co-worker. Well, I HATE bullies and the assault was reported, but then I in my anger stepped up and challenged the bully to "step outside and see me!" Now, my boss, and my boss's boss, put me on blast. How the hell could this be when I was NOT the one who caused the problem?

He didn't step in, two other people did, at which time he challenged the bully to step outside and see him.

To me it sounds like he didn't change his story, simply clarifying what happened.

Long thread, however, and I could be missing something.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,658,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
There is such a thing as professional conflict resolution
Apparently not in this case since management didn't do anything about the bully up until this incident. I stand by my point that management, or in this case the lack thereof, played a role in this too.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,432,219 times
What the hell kind of job do you work at, where bullies are punching people!? What state was this in??

Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,432,219 times
How come nobody asks these questions!?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 PM

34,358 posts, read 17,495,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
1. You acted unprofessional.
2. You threatened another employee.
3. You are the problem that your management is handling.

STILL, in 2016.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,391,118 times
This is an OLD thread!!! Why are you rehashing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment