Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM

95 posts, read 179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
The other day I saw a co-worker punched by a bully co-worker. Well, I HATE bullies and the assault was reported, but then I in my anger stepped up and challenged the bully to "step outside and see me!" Now, my boss, and my boss's boss, put me on blast. How the hell could this be when I was NOT the one who caused the problem?
Anyone that "steps up" and tells someone to step outside never really has the intentions of following through with actually doing anything. They are usually just running their mouth. If you really intended to "handle" the bully you would have just taken care of it right then and there. Would handling this bully outside vs inside have made any difference? You would have lost your job either way.

You risked your job on a bluff. I think it would have been funny if the bully would have accepted your offer to "step outside".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
This is why the U.S is gutless when it comes to stopping perps.

Back in 1997 I was vacationing in Poland. All I had on me was a backpack and 6 inch blade I kept on me for cutting cheese, opening packages, etc. I was walking down the streets in Krakow. Went over a bridge, and some Polish thug starts talking to me in Polish, and grabbing me. He has a buddy, some bald guy with tattoos on his ears (wtf?), who comes out of nowhere and swings right for my face. I duck, but his momentum carries into me and we're on the ground. It's hard for me to move around because I still have this huge pack on my back full of clothes and belongings. This guy starts to wail on me with wild punches. So I do the logical thing.

I pull out my blade and I stick it into his body. I must have got him good, because I felt the blade slip in between two of his ribs. He gasped pretty loudly, and I noticed blood coming from my left eye, probably from one of his punches. He stopped pretty quickly after that though, and his friend looks at me like I'm crazy (hey wasn't I the tourist getting robbed here?!). I guess the ruckus must have startled some people because the Policja was there and I hadn't even seen them arrive. Went back to their station and explained exactly what happened (had several witnesses who saw what happened too). Guess what? They let me go and even let me KEEP the knife. I didn't spend more than 4 hours at the station and didn't sit in a cell.

Here in America, I probably would be going to trial for attempted murder and facing 20 years in prison.

Stop making America soft people, this is why the country is degrading into chaos. People who bully, or engage in thievery should be punished, not coddled.
No you wouldn't. Self defense usually heads to no charges in the US.

You're scenario does not relate to this thread at all. No one was assaulting the op.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM

864 posts, read 805,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No you wouldn't. Self defense usually heads to no charges in the US.
Oh really?!

Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News

Want to take your foot out of your mouth?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,800,752 times
Quote:
Oh really?!

She never would have gotten that sentence in 1997, and you would not have gotten off so easily in Poland if the incident had been in 2014. Times are changing and changing quickly, and for the most part not for the better.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,809,648 times
Quote:
This is why the U.S is gutless when it comes to stopping perps.

Back in 1997 I was vacationing in Poland. All I had on me was a backpack and 6 inch blade I kept on me for cutting cheese, opening packages, etc. I was walking down the streets in Krakow. Went over a bridge, and some Polish thug starts talking to me in Polish, and grabbing me. He has a buddy, some bald guy with tattoos on his ears (wtf?), who comes out of nowhere and swings right for my face. I duck, but his momentum carries into me and we're on the ground. It's hard for me to move around because I still have this huge pack on my back full of clothes and belongings. This guy starts to wail on me with wild punches. So I do the logical thing.

I pull out my blade and I stick it into his body. I must have got him good, because I felt the blade slip in between two of his ribs. He gasped pretty loudly, and I noticed blood coming from my left eye, probably from one of his punches. He stopped pretty quickly after that though, and his friend looks at me like I'm crazy (hey wasn't I the tourist getting robbed here?!). I guess the ruckus must have startled some people because the Policja was there and I hadn't even seen them arrive. Went back to their station and explained exactly what happened (had several witnesses who saw what happened too). Guess what? They let me go and even let me KEEP the knife. I didn't spend more than 4 hours at the station and didn't sit in a cell.

Here in America, I probably would be going to trial for attempted murder and facing 20 years in prison.

Stop making America soft people, this is why the country is degrading into chaos. People who bully, or engage in thievery should be punished, not coddled.
Apple and Oranges.

1. You were on the street, not at work. The company has to minimize its risk of lawsuits as well when there's a confrontation at work.

2. YOU were the victim being pummeled to the death. If I wanted to live, I would shoot or cut a person too. And in MOST cases (the FL case notwithstanding) if someone strikes you first, you're well within right to defend yourself within reason (or with equally as much force as they're attacking you).

However, the issue in this thread is that the OP inserted himself into a confrontation that had nothing to do with him.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 AM

I thought the OP said he stepped in to an imminent fight where one guy was being threatened by a bully?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I thought the OP said he stepped in to an imminent fight where one guy was being threatened by a bully?
You're correct. He inserted himself into their confrontation which had nothing to do with him.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:45 AM

Great. He should get a raise for being a good Samaritan.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Great. He should get a raise for being a good Samaritan.
No, he got written up (and almost lost his job) as he should have because he created more liability for the company he works for.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,045,093 times
Quote:
Oh really?!

Obviously they ruled it not self-defense...

She went to her car, got her gun, and went back in to the house. I don't know of anywhere that's considered self-defense.

As for the OP, it is no longer self-defense, or defense of another if the assault has ended (which is clearly had since he had the opportunity to interject himself and offer up a duel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment