Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,877,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You get jobs based on what you're good at, not your personality type. Being an introvert is rarely important to a job function, so while it may be beneficial in some jobs to be introverted, that doesn't mean you'll excel at it. I'd venture you'd get much further picking something you're good and enjoy at first and worrying about if being an introvert makes an impact on that career later.

Actuaries tend to be introverted, but they don't have to be. They do have to be good at math and statistics, however. Are you good at math? Do you find statistics interesting?

No, I'm not good at math. No, I really don't find statistics all that interesting.

I'm definitely a good listener, caring and I'm very non-judgemental.
I'm sure I'd make a great psychologist but I don't particularly want to spend 6 years or more in school, especially not at my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 PM

291 posts, read 506,227 times
Lol.. lady you are all over the place. One minute you say you're introverted and shy and don't want to deal with people, the next minute you think you'd be a good psychologist... you do realize that psychologists get paid for their communication skills, pretty much?

I highly suggest going after a field that is in demand and something you're also interested in. Don't let your introversion or shyness become a roadblock in your life. It's ok to be an introvert, I think most of us are at least a bit introverted, but it's not ok to be so shy that it is affecting your career prospects.

Sorry if this post came off rude in any way- as you can tell, everyone and their mothers are looking for a job these days, so I'm just trying to be real.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 AM

84 posts, read 138,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone here has some good suggestions and advice for a well paying suitable career for a quiet, shy and introverted woman? A career that most quiet, shy and introverted women can excel at. Good pay meaning- can typically start out at $50,000 a yr and preferably not need to obtain higher than a 4 year degree, so a Bachelors degree.
Honestly, in this economy you're very unlikely to find any career like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDonna View Post
I think you would be perfect as a Medical Records Transcriptionist. You transcribe doctor notes and orders by listening to their recorded messages. Some transcriptionist work out of their homes. Check out this website with many career ideas and it lists the average salary for each job.
Medical transcriptionists won't be around for much longer due to developments in voice recognition technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Teaching children.
ROFL, that's probably the worst job that a "quiet, shy and introverted" person could ever do.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,877,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
Lol.. lady you are all over the place. One minute you say you're introverted and shy and don't want to deal with people, the next minute you think you'd be a good psychologist... you do realize that psychologists get paid for their communication skills, pretty much?
No, I'm not all over the place. Your reply was very rude.
I am shy and introverted.
FYI Psychologists also get paid to be a good listener, to be non-judgemental, caring and concerned. None of which you are.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Quote:
No, I'm not all over the place. Your reply was very rude.
I am shy and introverted.
FYI Psychologists also get paid to be a good listener, to be non-judgemental, caring and concerned. None of which you are.

Phone chat line?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
No, I'm not good at math. No, I really don't find statistics all that interesting.

I'm definitely a good listener, caring and I'm very non-judgemental.
I'm sure I'd make a great psychologist but I don't particularly want to spend 6 years or more in school, especially not at my age.
I think you still don't quite what separates something you could be good at from something you are good at. Psychologists get paid to be non-judgmental, caring, and concerned--they're paid to diagnose and treat mental health problems. Certainly being non-judgmental, caring, and concerned helps them do that, but that's not where they add value.

It sounds like you've got a good foundation for becoming a psychologist, but do you have what it takes to become one? Like you said, you're not sure you're willing to spend 6 more years in school, so it might not be the right choice for you. It's not clear if you've got an undergraduate degree already (and if so, in what) or are asking for ideas on what to pursue at the undergraduate level, but practicing psychologists generally need six years of training in addition to their undergraduate education.

So, if you're looking for a career in the immediate future that doesn't require additional education but does pay well, you have to determine what skills you have that are in low-enough supply that people are willing to pay you well. Actuary work is mentally challenging and can be both difficult and tedious, so the available applicant pool is relatively small, driving up salaries.

If you're looking for a job you could train for with an undergraduate degree, that is a slightly different question. It would be helpful to understand what special skills you have that might differentiate you to a future employer.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Not helpful, and not cool. As a very serious introvert, I understand exactly what the OP is talking about. We don't need to be "fixed." Some of us simply work better alone than in groups of people.
If you're labelling yourself and losing opportunities because of it, that's a choice. If you have a real mental health issue, not a preference, seeking help is a valid option. You shouldn't view people who do reach out to mental health professionals in a negative light.

So where does very serious introvert fall on the latest DSM? Or have you done the Oprah/Dr. Oz method like so many people with gluten?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 AM

59 posts, read 69,978 times
I am an introvert, and I work in professional services marketing - which doesn't seem like a natural choice for someone who doesn't like constant chatter, schmoozing, and all that other crap. Although some days can be absolutely draining and cause me to absolutely need to go straight home and be alone, and even some weekends I won't go out with my friends if I've had a particularly straining week where I had to be "on" all the time, most days aren't like that. My supervisor is an extreme extrovert, and we've been able to divide and conquer so that she handles the schmoozy side of things, and I tackle a lot of the behind-the-scenes aspects, like researching prospects, creating presentations and articles, maintaining databases of our various types of experience within industries/practice areas, etc. Just because a certain job field might not seem like a natural choice for introverts does not mean that you should overlook opportunities! Working with people who will allow you to run with your strengths is the key for introverts in a professional world that favors extroverts.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone here has some good suggestions and advice for a well paying suitable career for a quiet, shy and introverted woman? A career that most quiet, shy and introverted women can excel at. Good pay meaning- can typically start out at $50,000 a yr and preferably not need to obtain higher than a 4 year degree, so a Bachelors degree.

Thanks in advance.
Sales.
I am an introvert and keep mostly to myself, but I made a career out of sales and excelled at it. I was top salesman out of a sales force of 2500 at a fortune 500 company before I retired.
After retirement my wife and I established a sales firm, and when that industry died I got a CDL and drove a truck - another job for someone who is comfortable being alone.

Learn to listen. Learn about goal setting. You can excel, too.
The fact that you want to make money will serve you well.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM

188 posts, read 250,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Engineering. Nursing. Teaching children.

LMAO @ nursing and children. WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment