Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotron3000 View Post
Whats funny?

I found what you said funny- Just you and the road. Just you and the dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:13 AM

291 posts, read 506,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I'm somewhat good at figuring things out on computers if that's what you mean.
I just don't know if IT might be boring?
You want a quiet job where you don't have to interact with people but you also want excitement? Oh man...

Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
What about a job such as Forest Ranger or something along those lines?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 AM

483 posts, read 692,017 times
If you are methodical, something like technical service librarian (catalog the books and similar) would be good. Or archivist, though in that case you have to not mind tossing around heavy boxes of papers. "Records manager" might be pushing it and involve a lot of meetings with people as you revamp and/or catalog their systems, but it depends upon the job. The problem with some of the jobs suggested is that the profession tends to introversion, but the workers are dumped into open office spaces which, well, aren't. You'd likely have to be head of an accounting department before you were entitled to an office, which is a lot of work and years. I've also recently seen complaints on articles about introversion/open offices from the likes of writers and computer coders, who were all required to (pretend to) do their work in open offices.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
You want a quiet job where you don't have to interact with people but you also want excitement? Oh man...
Lol. IT probably isn't boring.
A career field with alot of interaction with people would be very difficult for me.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
How about a Quality Assurance analyst, performing software testing? We usually turn a system over to them along with test plans and then LEAVE THEM ALONE until they either find a bug or certify our work. You have to be very systematic and methodical and the better you write your reports, the less interaction you need with too many others.

There are a LOT of places that hire for these positions, and--let's be honest--there are a lot of people who do not strive to do this work. In a lot of places, testing is usually relegated to the junior members of the team as a way of introducing them to the "product" (i.e. system) you are producing and as a way of them learning, creating, and documenting procedures.

Best of all, you don't need to be a programmer or be very technical. In fact, they often like to put people in those positions who are NOT technical, just good method followers and creators. If you're TOO technical, you will work through problems that the ordinary system user might not know how to do.

Another area to explore is PCI Compliance auditing. They also are in high demand and a lot of employers are still very much willing to spend the $$$$ to train you and build you up into the position, as that is much easier and cheaper to do in-house.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Lol. IT probably isn't boring.
A career field with alot of interaction with people would be very difficult for me.
Maybe some therapy would help. Eventually you have to deal with people. It's how society functions. Unless you're independently wealthy and can be Howard Hughes, get some professional help.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,652 times
Work from home medical coder.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,658 times
I was an account examiner before I went to college and into a health field. College challenges you, and you grow from it. It forces you to step out of your comfort zone one little step at a time.

I initially wanted to become a nurse, but I went into dental hygiene as I was shy and thought I would only have one on one interaction in dental hygiene. After 10 years as a hygienist, I went back and got my nursing degree as well...and later on...went for a master's in education and taught in both fields.

You will be surprised how much college will help you overcome your shyness.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM

406 posts, read 559,754 times
As a system admin, I literally only interact with my team. I don't fix PCs, I don't answer phone calls (unless I'm on call and its an outage), and most of my meetings are attended remotely.

Additionally, I work remotely to the rest of my team, so I can work from home or in my office in a very nice, quiet, and peaceful setting. When I feel like being social, I leave my cube and go chat with people... However, being social is on my own terms.

Pay is fantastic, benefits are out of this world (401k, pension, free insurance), and for work-life balance... I take Mondays off all summer utilizing flex time, I can work out during business hours, I can work from home, and I start off with 4 weeks vacation. The downfall is that when work needs to be done afterhours, you'd better cancel your plans.

Could be a good fit if you're technical at all. You'd probably want a four-year degree, but no need for more than that. With 5 years experience, you'd probably be hitting 130-160K in highest CoL areas (NYC/SF) and 65-80K in lowest CoL areas (upstate NY, midwest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment