Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 AM

75 posts, read 104,363 times

Advertisements

Jotron3000,

Your replies made me laugh too! They are great paying jobs, but "Just you and the dead!" We are not making fun of your responses. WE JUST NEEDED THE HUMOR TODAY!!!!!!!

I think you would be perfect as a Medical Records Transcriptionist. You transcribe doctor notes and orders by listening to their recorded messages. Some transcriptionist work out of their homes. Check out this website with many career ideas and it lists the average salary for each job. Medical Transcriptionists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Also, as Court Reporter you are seen, but not heard. It does pay more than the medical transcriptionist and you get to listen to interesting court cases! Court Reporters : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM

31 posts, read 51,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I was an account examiner before I went to college and into a health field. College challenges you, and you grow from it. It forces you to step out of your comfort zone one little step at a time.

I initially wanted to become a nurse, but I went into dental hygiene as I was shy and thought I would only have one on one interaction in dental hygiene. After 10 years as a hygienist, I went back and got my nursing degree as well...and later on...went for a master's in education and taught in both fields.

You will be surprised how much college will help you overcome your shyness.
This is true.. your job can also force you to come out of your shell too. In my field, you have to be interacting with patients/clients, but family members, MDs, therapists, nurses, and multiple others.. to provide quality care. I wouldn't say I became an extrovert because of it, but I definitely am not as a quiet as I was before college/work.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
hitman?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
So let me understand...You want to find a high paying career ($50K for a college grad is way WAY above average) that is exciting yet allows you to work in solitude without interacting with anyone? Good luck with that. Why don't you look for Bigfoot while you're at it?

The problem I see with so many people on here is they expect the world to conform to their whims. Here's a wake up call for ya...if you want ANY chance at having a decent career after graduating, you will need to put yourself out there. That means more than just submitting resumes. You need to network, go to job fairs and generally make yourself as visible as possible to people who have infulence on the hiring process. The days of people getting away with toiling away in a corner at a giant corporation are over. Trust me when I say this, because the remaining few people in my company who were getting away with hiding in the corner were just given their severance check and a box to carry their personal belongings out to their car.

Employees need to prove their value daily which means frequent connections with others. My advice: learn how to interact well with others. Being an introvert is no excuse. There are plenty of introverts who have no problem with speaking in front of large groups or making connections with others. It's the way the world works, so get used to it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Actually, being an instructor at the post-secondary level is not bad. I do it, and I'm an introvert. Teaching at a research university is even better. Many of my professors only teach 2 or 3 courses per semester and spend the rest of their time conducting research. They go to conferences every year, but they are there with a bunch of other introverts.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:19 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Hmm I am quiet and introverted but hardly shy. While interacting with people has its challenges, a good career choice is pretty much going to mean that you have to deal with people at least a little. Learning how to balance your needs as an introvert with your work/social life is a valuable thing for a introvert. You should really work on getting over the shyness. Work on creating a life outside of work that will allow you to recharge after your day and start looking at what career fields interest you regardless of the human interaction involved.

Now I myself prefer to work with animals and have made most of my life about that. I am a laboratory vet tech. and I am also a horse trainer/hoof care provider. My work is mostly with animals but requires a lot of interaction with some high intensity people. I love what I do but at the end of a day I am happy to come home to my quiet little apartment or spending a quiet afternoon out on the trails on my horse. However I don't make $50k/year either. I make enough to live a simple and comfortable life which is really all I want.

Anyway if you enjoy animals you might look into something in animal care/husbandry as long as you are willing to accept that your income will not be quite as high as you were hoping for.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Archiving is increasingly digital in most settings, or will be. It's a good paying job, and a relatively new major, if it is in fact a major anywhere. The digital archivist I know works at the Library of Congress and used to work as a web developer (not very technical). His first job as an actual archivist was at the LC and I think is a fantastic achievement. His long-ago college studies were in music and he bounced around some web content jobs, getting laid off regularly, then landed at the LC where he has flourished. Universities and libraries of all sorts are going digital. Not a great deal of interaction, that is, the job is about the archiving, not the customer service or interactions with people. I think a lot of archivists are master's in library science, also. If I were the OP, that's what I'd consider.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Maybe some therapy would help. Eventually you have to deal with people. It's how society functions. Unless you're independently wealthy and can be Howard Hughes, get some professional help.
Not helpful, and not cool. As a very serious introvert, I understand exactly what the OP is talking about. We don't need to be "fixed." Some of us simply work better alone than in groups of people.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM

244 posts, read 707,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
As a system admin, I literally only interact with my team. I don't fix PCs, I don't answer phone calls (unless I'm on call and its an outage), and most of my meetings are attended remotely.

Additionally, I work remotely to the rest of my team, so I can work from home or in my office in a very nice, quiet, and peaceful setting. When I feel like being social, I leave my cube and go chat with people... However, being social is on my own terms.

Pay is fantastic, benefits are out of this world (401k, pension, free insurance), and for work-life balance... I take Mondays off all summer utilizing flex time, I can work out during business hours, I can work from home, and I start off with 4 weeks vacation. The downfall is that when work needs to be done afterhours, you'd better cancel your plans.

Could be a good fit if you're technical at all. You'd probably want a four-year degree, but no need for more than that. With 5 years experience, you'd probably be hitting 130-160K in highest CoL areas (NYC/SF) and 65-80K in lowest CoL areas (upstate NY, midwest).
That sounds awesome! I might decide to go into that perhaps!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM

119 posts, read 300,261 times
Definitely not nursing. I tried that route and had to switch majors senior year due to extreme anxiety. I would recommend computer science and finding an employer that allows 80-100% remote work. You would rarely have to see anyone's face and if you need to go out of town for whatever reason, you can, all without having to use your vacation days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment