Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,664,494 times

Advertisements

I wonder what people will be wearing 200 years from now, to work or in public?

According to Star Trek, we will all look like we just came out of a yoga retreat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM

28,754 posts, read 19,020,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Coveralls (sort of like what mechanics/fighter pilots wear). I am in an office setting but don't like the trousers/shirt combo.

I could probably start wearing coveralls and nobody would direct me to change though....
Those are a real pain to do #2 in a public restroom.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM

28,754 posts, read 19,020,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
How would you dress to work if it was your choice? Would you stick with the status quo or go more casual?
Sonny Crockett style.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,798,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
How would you dress to work if it was your choice? Would you stick with the status quo or go more casual?
T-shirt and either jean shorts or workout shorts. Also, I'd leave my hair however it happened to be. It's just going to get messed up anyway, so why should I bother combing / brushing it?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,175,048 times
Shorts, t-shirts.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM

7,002 posts, read 7,108,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have never seen a job or event where the men have more uncomfortable clothes than the women.
Ever.
You obviously haven't worked in New York City during the summer. Men are required to wear a suit no matter how hot it is, but women wear almost nothing at all. And since the women complain the temperature is too cold, the temperature is always turned up to accommodate the women.

(I am so glad I have a job on Long Island rather than NYC)

Quote:
Even formal events are like guys can show up in an untucked shirt and women are still dressed up to the nines.
I see the opposite. Most formal events and establishments have very strict dress codes for men, but allow women to wear basically anything they want. Men are never allowed to wear an untucked shirt. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Quote:
If you think wearing dresses or skirts (and the shoes that go with them) is more comfortable than a jacket, you are coming out of left field.
The difference is, men are forced by dress codes to wear uncomfortable clothing, such as a tie, or a jacket when it's 100 degrees. Women, on the other hand, may choose to wear uncomfortable clothing, but are never forced to by a dress code. If you find dresses or skirts and the shoes that go with them to be uncomfortable, then you don't have to wear them.

In the rare instance that a dress code actually exists for women (such as water park near where I live that requires both men and women to wear a swimsuit; which seems like a completely reasonable request), women always complain that the dress code is sexist.

Quote:
When a woman can show up to a formal even with jeans and an untucked (albeit fancy) shirt on, we can talk.
Again, I see the opposite. At business events, men are required to wear a suit, and women show up wearing jeans and an untucked shirt. Or, in the summer, a short skirt and a skimpy top. Again, maybe it's a regional thing.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM

7,002 posts, read 7,108,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I wonder what people will be wearing 200 years from now, to work or in public?
200 years from now, in most of the US, work attire will probably be completely casual, perhaps even allowing jeans and shorts. However, in New York City, men will still be expected to wear a suit and tie to work every day, no matter how hot it is. Women in New York City will probably be wearing even more revealing clothing than they are now, and the temperature in offices will be set even higher to accommodate them, without regard for the men.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,833,486 times
Jeans, t-shirts, and flip-flops in the summer. Jeans, t-shirts, hoodie, and boots in the winter.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,942,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have never seen a job or event where the men have more uncomfortable clothes than the women.
Ever.
This would be everywhere; the standard business formal for men is the suit and tie, but women can wear a few inches above the new skirts, not closed shoes, sleeveless shirts, etc. Every company I have ever gone to (I I have been to many for consulting), it is the same thing. Many companies even allow (or not say they are in the wrong) women to wear flip-flops and sneakers, while men still have to wear dress shoes.

The federal gov is like this as well, go into any agency in DC and you will see this. Business casual is business casual for men, but gets down right "going to the club" look for females.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,664,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
You obviously haven't worked in New York City during the summer. Men are required to wear a suit no matter how hot it is, but women wear almost nothing at all. And since the women complain the temperature is too cold, the temperature is always turned up to accommodate the women.

(I am so glad I have a job on Long Island rather than NYC)

I see the opposite. Most formal events and establishments have very strict dress codes for men, but allow women to wear basically anything they want. Men are never allowed to wear an untucked shirt. Maybe it's a regional thing?.
I am not arguing whether or not a woman can wear a lighter dress.
I am telling you that dress/shoes/makeup, apart from being cooler, is in every way more uncomfortable. I know. I have worn both types of outfit. Give me a pair of pants and long sleeves and regular shoes any day over those other clothes.

Not a regional thing. Not that I watch these on purpose, but just look at celeb parties' pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment