Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,568,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Are you an online stripper? I don't get your comment.
I mean I can wear (or not wear) whatever I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:18 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,329,017 times
Quote:
How would you dress to work if it was your choice? Would you stick with the status quo or go more casual?
At my previous job the girls wore T-shirts and jeans in the summer or a "nice" top and appropriate length shorts in the summer. I would typically wear a "nice" button down blouse (always pressed regardless of "permanent press" label) and "nice", pressed jeans in the summer and a very "nice" turtleneck sweater and pressed jeans in the winter with casual but season appropriate dress shoes for fall and winter (not heels), dress sandals (not flip-flops) in the summer.

I certainly would not mind working from home in my jammies and slippers.

In my "younger days" I did the whole dress/skirt, suits, pantyhose, and high heels look...what a waste of time, energy, pain, and money spent on dry cleaning and buying worthless pantyhose. I am so glad those days are gone forever; I don't care if Kate (Middleton) is bringing back pantyhose or not...I will never own another pair of those; never, I say!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,753,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I mean I can wear (or not wear) whatever I want.
I believe the term nekkid is used to mean without clothing in a devious manner. Not simply naked, that would be naked.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:20 AM

284 posts, read 380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Benefit of being a yoga instructor: I get to wear yoga pants to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I hope you're a female. :lol:

What exactly would you hope a male yoga instructor would wear???

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,751,581 times
My current job is casual-to-business casual. I dress on the higher end of business casual most of the time, which is how I usually dress on my own time, and how I would dress if there was no dress code.

However, I should point out that business casual includes a wider range of options for women than it does for men, in my experience. I'd probably get very bored with the 'business casual uniform' if I was a guy.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM

303 posts, read 596,228 times
IT Industry, I would absolutely wear jeans and a t-shirt daily if allowed.

However, I do take solace in the fact that IT isn't usually held to as strict a dress code as everyone else.... so I'm allowed little things like sneakers (all black). Basically, at work I live in khakis and a polo even though I'm a woman.

Skirt Suits are impractical since I'm crawling under desks managing wires, etc and pants suits are uncomfortable as hell.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,977,121 times
Quote:
How would you dress to work if it was your choice? Would you stick with the status quo or go more casual?
It pretty much is my choice- we don't have much of a dress code here. I mostly go with nicer, dark jeans (occasionally slacks) and a tucked-in, button-up shirt or polo. I figure that's dressy enough to stand out a little but no so much that I look like I don't belong here.

I don't mind dressing well for work; I'm proud to work here and putting a little effort into how I present myself is a reflection of that.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,411,329 times
I do dress how I want - I work from home. Jeans, t-shirts.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,368,086 times
Clean solid-color polo and khakis, my usual choice when not subject to someone else's foibles ... probably would replace them more often since I wouldn't have to waste money on more elaborate, expensive, high-maintenance, and non-tax-deductible tomfoolery.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,002,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Given the numerous low wage/skilled positions that require people to wear suits, I doubt this is relevant currently (I do not know when you were a teen). It seems the lower level the job, the more the requirement is to wear more formal business attire.
This seems very true. I work for a large bank and the tellers are required to dress better than I am. Of course, I never come in contact with a customer, but I am paid much better than any teller. The Chicago Loop is FULL of people in suits and I have a feeling that most of them are not CEOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment